Oil dilution

My oil level stays approximately level over a 6,000 mile OCI. This a gas 2.5L 2014 touring FWD. Ed

Oil dilution.

That's strictly a diesel issue.
Not necessary. It does happen to our SkyActiv-G gasoline engines under cold temperature. Many gasoline engine CX-5 owners don't aware of oil dilution issue during winter time mainly because they don't bother to check oil level in cold weather and simply assume the oil level is fine like in summer time. Once weather is getting warmer, the fuel in diluted oil once again got burned off and oil level go back to normal. See this 8 pages of discussion:

2.5L Oil level fluctuation

This post said the best:
Here's my 2 bits since I'm the one who started this thread.
This issue is only present if you live in a cold climate. Starting and idling the vehicle, longer warm up times, all add to the problem.
I've done a few oil samples and the winter months are terrible (as high as 11% fuel contamination). During the spring/summer the oil does not move up or down and the sample has been tested fine.
During the winter, my oil level definitely rises, I have tried blocking part of the rad off. Tried running premium fuel. So far anything I try does not help the problem.

The only fix I found is to NOT check the oil.

That's the problem with diesel dilution, it does not burn off like petrol.

Last petrol engine I had lost 1 litre of oil in year one, but practically none the following years.

Ok thanks. It's obviously a result of rich injection during warm up similar to the post injection of diesel regeneration.

I'm contemplating my next CX-5 but with all the fuss with diesel in Europe, I won't be having another. I'm quite happy with the situation you have described. Thanks for the replies. The rest is up to Mazda uk now.

Apparently Honda has a recall in China for their 1.5l engines having issues with fuel dilution. Reports in Canada and US are popping up too. I think in China the ECU was adjusted as to warm up the car faster. Hence one reason why Mazda probably incorporated the high idle upon start up.

You might experience some FD in cold weather or if you are short tripping and not allowing the engine to operate at full temperatures. On average the Mazda engines seem to be better in handling the FD. Obviously the aforementioned Honda 1.5 is a real problem and the turbo may play a part, something we don’t have to worry about.

You might experience some FD in cold weather or if you are short tripping and not allowing the engine to operate at full temperatures. On average the Mazda engines seem to be better in handling the FD. Obviously the aforementioned Honda 1.5 is a real problem and the turbo may play a part, something we don’t have to worry about.

Yeah plus they contain less oil being tiny 1.5L engines so any fuel getting in means a higher ratio. Isn't like 5-8% within the safety range?

Mine has risen a little past the full mark on the dipstick. Maybe a 1/4". I do a lot of short trips. I'm keeping an eye on it.
Haven't smelled any gas on the dipstick though.

I keep smelling gas in my oil, but I've written it off. I've never noticed any wild fluctuations, and I've never heard of a skyactiv motor dying due to this issue. Or any. Has anyone?

All of my UOAs showed good to excellent wear values. Several teaspoons of gas in 5 quarts of oil smells like 20% gas. Ed

BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES suggest that 2% or below is acceptable. I don't know what this based on or have seen any data. However; several UOAs on this site have shown good to excellent wear values even though fuel dilution was over 2%. Ed

Here's a little update, since our CX5 was having the dilution problem for the first couple years. Very noticeable in winter, warm weather driving was not a problem.
About a year ago, I was on the last attempt at a fix and left the car with the dealer. FWIW, it had been in there several times for the same problem. Anyways, this time they did a bunch of ECM/ECU updates, and surprise surprise, the problem seems to be fixed. Just completed an oil change at 8000 kms, November > May, so running the entire winter. I checked it a couple times during that period and the level did not fluctuate. Took out 5L and dumped a 5L jug back in.
A couple other noticeable things......the exhaust tips were always covered with soot. Since that repair, they are clean as a whistle, the inside of the pipe is shiney spotless. Car runs great, excellent fuel mileage, good throttle response, runs better than ever since we bought it new.

Back