Oil dilution

Here's a little update, since our CX5 was having the dilution problem for the first couple years. Very noticeable in winter, warm weather driving was not a problem.
About a year ago, I was on the last attempt at a fix and left the car with the dealer. FWIW, it had been in there several times for the same problem. Anyways, this time they did a bunch of ECM/ECU updates, and surprise surprise, the problem seems to be fixed. Just completed an oil change at 8000 kms, November > May, so running the entire winter. I checked it a couple times during that period and the level did not fluctuate. Took out 5L and dumped a 5L jug back in.
A couple other noticeable things......the exhaust tips were always covered with soot. Since that repair, they are clean as a whistle, the inside of the pipe is shiney spotless. Car runs great, excellent fuel mileage, good throttle response, runs better than ever since we bought it new.

Thanks for reporting.

Oil dilution.

Here's a little update, since our CX5 was having the dilution problem for the first couple years. Very noticeable in winter, warm weather driving was not a problem.
About a year ago, I was on the last attempt at a fix and left the car with the dealer. FWIW, it had been in there several times for the same problem. Anyways, this time they did a bunch of ECM/ECU updates, and surprise surprise, the problem seems to be fixed. Just completed an oil change at 8000 kms, November > May, so running the entire winter. I checked it a couple times during that period and the level did not fluctuate. Took out 5L and dumped a 5L jug back in.
A couple other noticeable things......the exhaust tips were always covered with soot. Since that repair, they are clean as a whistle, the inside of the pipe is shiney spotless. Car runs great, excellent fuel mileage, good throttle response, runs better than ever since we bought it new.
I remember your thread a while ago and I thought you've given up trying to fix the oil dilution issue on your 2014.5 CX-5 2.5L:

The only fix I found is to NOT check the oil.

Glad your Mazda dealer has eventually fixed your problem with ECM updates. Hopefully this fix is all covered under powertrain warranty. I hope you can repost this result to your original thread so that your final resolution can be seen easily by others.

2.5L Oil level fluctuation

Honda is also updating ECM software to limit too much fuel been injected into cylinders during cold start and other situations and they claim it should fix the oil dilution issue on their 1.5T too.

Back