2014 Bose Speaker Replacement - Front Door

rockn4

:
2014 CX-5
I've been searching, but I haven't really found what I'm looking for. I have a 2014 with the bLose audio, and the driver and passenger door speakers are now rattling very bad even with low bass. I've got to swap them out with something as it sounds like the paper is torn, but definitely not going to replace with OEM.

As I understand it from reading and hearing them, these speakers are more like subs than anything. So the polk db651's that everyone suggests for the non-bLose doesn't seem like a good choice. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd be very happy with installing these Polk's if I knew they would okay.

Besides a new pair of speakers, what else will I need to buy to make them fit?
I may also do the small dash speakers as well, but I haven't seen much in terms of the wiring setup for that on the bose setups.

This exact same thing happened on my '08 MS3 and I replaced them with Infinity 6x9's. The Mazda/Bose partnership is just horrible.

Read more into the 2016 audio upgrade thread. Hoping the information there is still relevant for the 2014.
The dash speakers seem pretty straight forward. 3x 3.5" with a desolder + solder on the wiring adapter.
Still not much info on the front door woofers though. Doesn't look like many options available (1.25ohm 9") , still not clear if a speaker adapter would be required and wiring needs.

Hoping someone has some of the answers.

Last edited:
You would not need tweeters or crossovers, but scroll down to the bottom of this page. http://www.clearwateraudio.com/product.html
If you look closely for those Clearwater Audio 8" Bose Door Replacement System, they fit mostly for stock Bose system in earlier model-year Miata's. For newer Bose system in CX-5's, the door speakers (woofers) don't need included crossovers as those functions has been built in the amp. That 8" speaker of course can be used in OP's 2014 CX-5's front doors but some sort of speaker adapter may still be needed.

Read more into the 2016 audio upgrade thread. Hoping the information there is still relevant for the 2014.
The dash speakers seem pretty straight forward. 3x 3.5" with a desolder + solder on the wiring adapter.
Still not much info on the front door woofers though. Doesn't look like many options available (1.25ohm 9") , still not clear if a speaker adapter would be required and wiring needs.

Hoping someone has some of the answers.
Your 2014 stock Bose door speakers are indeed different from face-lifted 2016 CX-5's which has replaced previous smaller front/rear door speakers with 9" Nd woofers (actually it's 8") and 5" wide-range speakers. The metal openings for door speakers seem different and Mazda uses different speakers adapters for changed sizes. You do have several options with 4Ω 8" woofers if you're willing to add additional amp to compensate lost power with higher impedance woofers. And you most likely have to hand made speaker adapters for those 8" aftermarket speakers. Those extra work makes very few people had done the Bose door speaker upgrades as adding a stand-alone self-powered sub-woofer is simpler.

Installing 8" Speakers in Mazda CX-5 (early CX-5 Sport)

2016 with bose front door speaker replacement

Anyone got any pics of the 8s mounted in the doors?
Bose 9" (8" actual size) Nd woofer in front door:
2014%252520Mazda6%252520Bose%2525209-inch%252520%25252823cm%252529%252520Nd%2525C2%2525AE%252520Woofer_20130415.jpg

Front door speaker location w/o 9" Nd woofer:
2014%252520Mazda6%252520Bose%2525209-inch%252520%25252823cm%252529%252520Nd%2525C2%2525AE%252520Woofer%252520Front%252520Door%252520Location_20130415.jpg

And Bose 9" Nd woofer itself from Toneb210:
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And Dayton Audio RS-225-4 and Pioneer TS-SW2002d2 shallow mount 8" subwoofers from 2016 with bose front door speaker replacement by Toneb210:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Your 2014 stock Bose door speakers are indeed different from face-lifted 2016 CX-5's which has replaced previous smaller front/rear door speakers with 9" Nd woofers (actually it's 8") and 5" wide-range speakers. The metal openings for door speakers seem different and Mazda uses different speakers adapters for changed sizes. You do have several options with 4Ω 8" woofers if you're willing to add additional amp to compensate lost power with higher impedance woofers. And you most likely have to hand made speaker adapters for those 8" aftermarket speakers. Those extra work makes very few people had done the Bose door speaker upgrades as adding a stand-alone self-powered sub-woofer is simpler.

Installing 8" Speakers in Mazda CX-5 (early CX-5 Sport)

2016 with bose front door speaker replacement

I am looking at your picture and trying to see the model number for the speakers but can't figure it out.
Can you share what the model number on those speakers?

Also reviving this post in hopes to not start a new thread.

So, are the 2014 Bose front door speakers a different size than the 2016+, or are they also 8"? I'm trying to figure out if I need to purchase 8" or 6.5" for the front doors.

Thanks

AFAIK you can easily use 6.5 with custom adapters that they sell online, like Crutchfield. Or you be able to drop in an 8" mid-range. I was looking at the Sundown Neo 8.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to replace the dash corners with some Hertz 3.5. May just take it to a shop and see what they say as far as speaker replacement. I don't have door rattling now but who knows when it will happen.

I*m at a loss as to why the pioneer ib subwoofer has been used to replace a woofer. Would leave a substantial hole in upper bass and work roll off well before a mid range kicked in. Have I missed something?

The problem I faced is that the Bose AMP only pushes 2ohm and bass only to the doors, so I put nice 3 ways and none of it works since everything is filtered out at the amp...so not much can be done unless you gut the entire system...better to find a way to add a sub under the seat or something, don't mess with the front doors...

Back