Why you should detail your daily at least once a month...

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I typically don't detail my daily. However, I have a former roommate who is absolutely nutty over his WRX and can't got a day without washing it. He was visiting me this week, and wanted to detail his car, and I figured I might as well wash the CX-5, and since he would be taking a while, I might as well take the time to hand-wash it well.

While doing this, I obviously saw every square inch of its blue hide.

Except for a few spots where it had sprouted some orange.

Specifically, in the leading edge of the roof-line. There were two pea-sized spots of orange rust where a rock had taken the paint off. THIS EXACT SAME THING had happened to my Grand Jeep Cherokee before I had purchased it, and the rust was the size of a quarter, and starting to pit notably. I took it in and had it re-painted to the tune of a $327 bill or so, as I recall. My response this time, having caught it FAST was to take my pocket knife after the car had dried, and scrape all of the rust off so that it shone brightly in the noon sun. I hate the noon sun and much prefer being asleep at that time, but I digress. Anyway, I also took about 1/2 a mm of healthy paint off around the spots to be sure the damage had not spread undetected. I then took the handy touch-up pen I purchased when I bought the vehicle, and sealed the spots.

Can I see them if I look? Sure. But who cares? Mainly, I just didn't want it to rust and cost hundreds of dollars to fix, or end up leaking through on my head-liner in 5-7 years!

From now on, at least once a month, she's getting a legit bathing, and that's why! This is the same reason I tell people to clean their weapons AT LEAST once a month whether it runs reliably full of gunk or not. You need to PM the parts and make sure everything is in spec! This goes for vehicle paint, too, it seems, although I don't know why I wouldn't have presume it would.

I typically don't detail my daily. However, I have a former roommate who is absolutely nutty over his WRX and can't got a day without washing it. He was visiting me this week, and wanted to detail his car, and I figured I might as well wash the CX-5, and since he would be taking a while, I might as well take the time to hand-wash it well.

While doing this, I obviously saw every square inch of its blue hide.

Except for a few spots where it had sprouted some orange.

Specifically, in the leading edge of the roof-line. There were two pea-sized spots of orange rust where a rock had taken the paint off. THIS EXACT SAME THING had happened to my Grand Jeep Cherokee before I had purchased it, and the rust was the size of a quarter, and starting to pit notably. I took it in and had it re-painted to the tune of a $327 bill or so, as I recall. My response this time, having caught it FAST was to take my pocket knife after the car had dried, and scrape all of the rust off so that it shone brightly in the noon sun. I hate the noon sun and much prefer being asleep at that time, but I digress. Anyway, I also took about 1/2 a mm of healthy paint off around the spots to be sure the damage had not spread undetected. I then took the handy touch-up pen I purchased when I bought the vehicle, and sealed the spots.

Can I see them if I look? Sure. But who cares? Mainly, I just didn't want it to rust and cost hundreds of dollars to fix, or end up leaking through on my head-liner in 5-7 years!

From now on, at least once a month, she's getting a legit bathing, and that's why! This is the same reason I tell people to clean their weapons AT LEAST once a month whether it runs reliably full of gunk or not. You need to PM the parts and make sure everything is in spec! This goes for vehicle paint, too, it seems, although I don't know why I wouldn't have presume it would.
Found some rust bubbles on my roof a while back (year or two ago), there's a post on here somewhere about it. Had it repainted under a comp claim with the insurance company. My deductible is only $50 so that's what it cost me. But yeah, you have to be vigilant about this stuff.

You mean you're keeping that POS for 5-7 years?

I'm keeping it until it costs more than the note on a newer vehicle to maintain it per month. Trading it now just because it gets 2-5mpg less than sticker indicates depending on the situation makes no financial sense.

Latest posts

Back