HVAC Controls

cyterio

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I have a 2016.5 GT with the Auto Climate HVAC. Even when I hit the off button located on the controls, air continues to blow through the vents that are selected. I have no way to completely turn off the airflow. Can anyone else confirm this or is this just an issue my CX-5 has? I notice that when I hit the off button, everything on the display turns off except the arrow that shows where the air is being directed. I can cycle it between floor, vent, and defrost but no way to completely turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you driving? If so, some air will come through the vents.

I have a 2016.5 GT with the Auto Climate HVAC. Even when I hit the off button located on the controls, air continues to blow through the vents that are selected. I have no way to completely turn off the airflow. Can anyone else confirm this or is this just an issue my CX-5 has? I notice that when I hit the off button, everything on the display turns off except the arrow that shows where the air is being directed. I can cycle it between floor, vent, and defrost but no way to completely turn it off.

before you turned off did you have it on outside air or inside recirculate mode ?

I believe it's usually on outside air. I'll have to check next time I turn it off.

It seems like an excessive amount of air to just be forced through when driving. I know what you mean though, but it seems like more than just

Try enabling the re-circulate button. That will close the outside vents.

I can confirm this. Mine works the same way. It seems that the airflow can not be shut off completely. I haven't tried changing the recirculation mode though. Another thing that I noticed is that even with the system off it seems to supply air at the temp your system was set at when you shut it off. I'm not sure about cooled air but I certainly get warm air if the temp selectors are set for it.

I have a 2016.5 GT with the Auto Climate HVAC. ⋯ I have no way to completely turn off the airflow.
It's normal and that's why some people are complaining Mazda should put open/close dial control on center dash vents like many other vehicles.

It's normal and that's why some people are complaining Mazda should put open/close dial control on center dash vents like many other vehicles.

They are on CX5s outside of the USA!!!

(shrug)

mazda-cx-5-dashboard-layout-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqA7N2CxnJWnYI3tCbVBgu9WVLDaeaWzlxIQpTU2T6YjQ.jpg

I'd guess typical cost-cutting, but you'd think it would actually cost more to source, warehouse and install 2 different dash vent pieces.

And look... 4 illuminated window switches!!!

(bang)

Last edited:
It does completely shut off air flow if I change the selector to recirculate after turning off the system. It is kind of a backwards setup if you want everything off, but it does work. Thanks for the tip!

You want fresh air entering the vehicle when it's moving. If anyone died from exhaust poisoning, we'd be paying an extra $500 for the car... That's why mfr's default is the way it is.

Its a safety issue and I think regulations require some airflow. This is especially important if the rear door is not sealing properly or left open as engine exhaust will flow back into the vehicle. Ever notice how quickly the rear door gets dirty? The road dirt/exhaust naturally flows back against the rear.

It does completely shut off air flow if I change the selector to recirculate after turning off the system. It is kind of a backwards setup if you want everything off, but it does work. Thanks for the tip!

Yep... The recirculate setting is the trick. I actually think it's intuitive. Or at least works similar to the old school controls. When on auto the recirculate is set to bring in outside air. Shutting it off maintains the state of which the recirculate button was in while on auto.

They are on CX5s outside of the USA!!!

(shrug)

mazda-cx-5-dashboard-layout-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqA7N2CxnJWnYI3tCbVBgu9WVLDaeaWzlxIQpTU2T6YjQ.jpg

I'd guess typical cost-cutting, but you'd think it would actually cost more to source, warehouse and install 2 different dash vent pieces.

And look... 4 illuminated window switches!!!

(bang)

Not just illuminated, they are all auto Up and Down and illuminated on every door BUT, no drive away locking!!!

For safety reasons you want a positive pressure inside your vehicle. You can minimize it by setting the flow control on RECI. This for a 2014 CX5. Ed

Not just illuminated, they are all auto Up and Down and illuminated on every door BUT, no drive away locking!!!

Damn, why doesn't the US get those same features? That makes NO sense at all!

Auto up is capable but US liability lawyers made sure that this would never exist in the US. Near non existant risk of strangulation or a child's arm in the door.

My 2007 Saab was capable of auto up from the remote control when locking. Press to lock, hold and the windows would close. Enabled in Europe, not in the US.

Auto up is capable but US liability lawyers made sure that this would never exist in the US. Near non existant risk of strangulation or a child's arm in the door.

My 2007 Saab was capable of auto up from the remote control when locking. Press to lock, hold and the windows would close. Enabled in Europe, not in the US.

Yes, as far as I know the same exists in Europe but they've included auto Up for some reason!

I thought that the windows would roll back down automatically if they encounter an obstruction, especially when auto up is used? I know this issue was raised by the consumer programme "Watchdog" some years ago in the UK when Lynn Foulds-Wood used to host it after reported accidents involving limbs.

Jonno21

One-Touch Auto Up/Down Power Windows

There're many vehicles in the US offer one-touch auto up-down on all windows, and one-touch open/close on moonroof. My 2001.5 VW Passat has them, and my 2000 BMW 528i has them too. 2017 Honda CR-V in the US offers this feature on front passenger window and moonroof. If you notice, 2017 CX-5 also have one-touch open moonroof. It's cost issue more than others as an anti-pinch device controlled by a module is used for this feature. Each window motor and moonroof motor has a pressure sensor that monitors window's movement. This effectively eliminates the possibility of injury to a person or damage to the power window or moonroof system.

Back