Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with "End of life" decision - Transfer Case + Transmission 08 CX-9 AWD

Registered Member

a bunch of ford with the same transfer case have the transfer case breaking too but they don't break the transmission with it, the transmission splines problem is only on the cx9 i beleive

Registered Member

92 MX-3; 18 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    a bunch of ford with the same transfer case have the transfer case breaking too but they don't break the transmission with it, the transmission splines problem is only on the cx9 i beleive
    The transmissions, PTU and location of the PTU with exposure to high heat and quick break down of the gear oil are all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kornholio View Post
    I totally agree with the above poster. I am curious as to why i don't hear about the ford explorers 2011-present having transfer case problems. I hear about the water pump with both the cx-9 and the explorer but only the mazda cx-9 has the failed transfer case/ trans problem. Please remember that the parts of this vehicle were built by ford but designed by mazda.
    I disagree - and agree with puma: All PTUs shared by many Ford vehicles and the CX-9 suffer same failure rate. I do believe most can be avoided with frequent PTU gear oil changes - but Mazda and Ford until recently recommended no PTU gear oil changes. And, to be fair, it is not an easy job.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 GS AWD

At the same point now. I have had the transfer case replaced 3 times (under extended warranty) and now the 4th one has just failed. Back to Front wheel drive car only. I have exhaust leaks and a CEL for code P0016 (camshaft position sensor). I think its just a bad sensor though.

Has anyone found a source for re-manufactured transfer cases? I would put a few hundred $$ into replacement if it gets me through another winter.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Lkq.online (they also sell on ebay).. the dealer will always rape on parts, typically because they only buy new. Independent shop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12