Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Enable touchscreen while in motion *not a hack*

You won't miss being able to touch it with that Knob. Seriously. It's that good.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by lampcord View Post
    I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler where you can use the touchscreen while driving. Which I have no problem with except the ride in that thing is so bumpy that it's sometimes hard to hit the button I'm aiming for and still keep my eyes on the road.

I like the idea of Mazda's knob but I would definitely prefer to have the choice of using the screen. Although since I'm picking mine up next Saturday, I'm assuming it will have the latest software version and therefore not be hackable by this particular hack.
    As mentioned above, you won't miss the touchscreen when using the command knob.

if you do hack and add AA and Waze, then the touchscreen is handy. But without doing the tweaks, i didn't miss the touchscreen except for nav, but then I tend to use Waze or Google as it is just more complete then any factory nav.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Thought folks would be more excited about this. LOL

Sent from my LG V10
    This is great! Much better that looking all the way down to the console, thanks man!

2018 CX-5 Touring AWD (with Premium package)

Can they at least allow the Command knob to do everything it does while stopped? I wanted to switch from intermittent wipers to rain sensing. While I could get to the menu, I had to stop in order to check the box. I didn't have to select from a list, or read anything...just text a box.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by leedar View Post

Things can happen on the road at anytime where you need quick reactions to avoid. I've had to avoid ladders, lawn chairs, boxes, a dead deer that was dead center in my lane at night where there was no street lights. Those are the more rare occasions, but they are expensive ones. Expensive in money, time, stress, and annoyance to deal with insurance and the repair companies, and sometimes the frustration of now paying more for insurance for the next few years.
    Without any distractions, I came upon a 6 or 8 foot aluminum ladder in the middle of my lane while at highway speeds in a hard rain. I didn't dare try and avoid it, so I went over it with my '97 MPV. I was fortunate that I had the split second to make a conscious thought of which action to take. Tore a gash in the gas tank, but didn't go through. Lucked out that time!

However, I am not a fan of commands and interaction getting locked out while driving. I can't tell you how often we are driving and we want to do something, especially with the Nav, and can't do it and can't pull over because, no room to safely pull over(may get just the tires off the lane to park), not allowed to park on this road, before this sign, that sign, during blah hours.
    My wife and I also get a little frustrated about getting locked out while in motion, specially about inputting a new address. However, we both prefer to put up with that, than have someone who is much more capable than the average driver accidentally get distracted while changing the colors on the map and run into us.

I'm a fan of completely locking out all touch screen interaction while driving and more tactile interaction and larger Heads-Up-Displays (use the whole drivers side window with info at the top, sides, and bottom).
    So am I! Good for Apple that put a lot of thought into this and didn't rush out with every app possible, and good for Mazda for making a conscious decision to treat their touch screen the way they do.

Disagree. Completely. I think we as a species are getting hung up on the fact that...it's a SCREEN.
    OMG! SCREENS ARE BAD. DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE. YOU'LL KILL SOMEONE.
    While I, of course, agree that you shouldn't look at your phone while driving, we have now equated the screen in our car to being the equivalent of the phone screen. SCREEN = EVIL. It's simply not. My car screen isn't going to make me take my eyes of the road for 10 seconds like reading or replying to a text might. It's no different then running the heater or the in dash old school radio.
    Y'now what the #1 cause of crashes was in the 70's? Same thing it is today: distracted driving. Looking down to mess with the radio or switch out the 8 track tape.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Disagree. Completely. I think we as a species are getting hung up on the fact that...it's a SCREEN.
    OMG! SCREENS ARE BAD. DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE. YOU'LL KILL SOMEONE.
    While I, of course, agree that you shouldn't look at your phone while driving, we have now equated the screen in our car to being the equivalent of the phone screen. SCREEN = EVIL. It's simply not. My car screen isn't going to make me take my eyes of the road for 10 seconds like reading or replying to a text might. It's no different then running the heater or the in dash old school radio.
    Y'now what the #1 cause of crashes was in the 70's? Same thing it is today: distracted driving. Looking down to mess with the radio or switch out the 8 track tape.
    Well said.

Car manufacturers can fuck right off with nannies. Something will always distract someone.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 75k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456