CX-5 Skyactive Radiator Cap 1.3kg/cm2

:
Mazda 2 / 2010
Hello everyone,

Anyone know if I put a radiator cap (1.3kg/cm2) causes some kind of stress in the cooling system or works perfect?

In the Mazda 2 (DE5FS) and the Civic VTi (B16A2) I've had previously all worked fine, but as this CX-5 engine is skyactive I have serious doubts

thanks in advance (thumb)

nengun-0233-03-greddy-radiator_cap.jpg

No short term harm will happen, however the higher cooling system pressure will add more stress to the radiator end tanks and hoses... potentially, they could wear out/break faster.. FWIW, the 1st and 2nd gen Mazda3 had a 1.5 bar radiator cap
The only reason to install a higher pressure cap is to raise the boiling point... these engines don't run too hot to begin with and so the benefits of this cap won't be as much as older cars

Good info. I never thought much of what the point of changing a cap was.

Good info. I never thought much of what the point of changing a cap was.

Usually what happens is over time, the rubber gasket under the cap stretches and prevents coolant from going into the recovery tank, builds pressure in the system and stresses the radiator enough to cause cracks. Replacement caps should be the same pressure or less than stock or you're going to develop leaks.

Last edited:
Thanks to TheMAN explanation, start looking for more and I found this information:
CX-5 use 1.1 Bar = 16psi OEM // Racing or Performance Cap: 1.3 Bar = 19psi (shocked)

Back