JD power ratings are out

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the JD power ratings are garbage. Don't they base all faults as equal. Meaning, one car that has an issue with window issues, would be rated the same as a vehicle with transmissions issues. Obviously a car with transmission issues is much more concerning than window issues. Maybe I am thinking of anther rating service though.

Jhu8 this is his second thread with same message. Mostly a subtle troll.

JD power Associates is an opinion survey of the initial 90 days of ownership is it not?

Man the Fiat 500 is on fire. Scored 5 out of 5 points for overall dependability. I better go out and get one because JD Power Associate's extensive "Vehicle Dependability Study" indicates rock solid dependability. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
Power train ratings are on a par, so thats one positive. (headbang)

Last edited:
This has more information:

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2014#model_ratings

The IQS is very short term study, after purchase.
The VDS is a 3-year study, which probably means 2014 model year, which was on sale on 2013.

Based on the latter, all scores are 4 except for feature and accessory dependability at 3, which is also not too bad.
Not sure where predictable reliability drops and why there is a difference to the OP link.

It has the FJ Cruiser as one of the highest rated vehicles. For one they stopped making them awhile ago and for another, it was because they had a ton of issues. I wouldn't trust this at all lol.

Mazda CX5 is rated low .. very sad to hear that
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2...udy-(VDS)-by-Category/843ENG/Compact-SUV/1131 (boom03) (boom03)

That link is the 2016 results. 2017 results are here, with the CX-5 ranked 5 out of 12:

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2017-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-%28VDS%29-by-Category/1882ENG/Compact-SUV/1131

Also, the accompanying press release says:

"The Audio/Communication/Entertainment/Navigation (ACEN) category continues to be the most problematic area, accounting for 22% of all problems reportedup from 20% last year.
For a third consecutive year, the problems most reported by owners are Bluetooth pairing/connectivity and built-in voice recognition misinterpreting commands."

... so yeah, many problems reported are probably not even related to the primary function of the vehicle (and dare I say, some may even be due to user error on the part of those who are less tech savvy).

Last edited:
That link is the 2016 results. 2017 results are here, with the CX-5 ranked 5 out of 12:

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2017-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-%28VDS%29-by-Category/1882ENG/Compact-SUV/1131

"The Audio/Communication/Entertainment/Navigation (ACEN) category continues to be the most problematic area, accounting for 22% of all problems reportedup from 20% last year.
For a third consecutive year, the problems most reported by owners are Bluetooth pairing/connectivity and built-in voice recognition misinterpreting commands."

... so yeah, many problems reported are probably not even related to the primary function of the vehicle (and dare I say, some may even be due to user error on the part of those who are less tech savvy).

While it is a shame that such a great vehicle is rated lower due to a secondary system like the infotainment system.....

Let's call it for what it is, no need shift blame: the infotainment system in our Mazda's are a weak point. The design is pretty good, the execution is not so good. Had the same system in our previous 2014 Mazda3s and now in the CX-5, and in 3 years since this system has been out it still is unstable. Continued problems have been fully documented in this and other Mazda forums, we can only hope that after 3 years on the market Mazda and Johnson Controls FINALLY fix this thing....

Oh, now it makes sense to me. The link I provided above and this link now agree.

People keep ignoring the available breakdown by type of problem that JD Power do, it is useful to some degree, though it only covers 3 years of ownership. In the final tally, everything is summed up, also all models of a manufacturer, to show overall performance of the brand.

I am not too familiar with the FJ, but I know it was loved by owners (though many did not consider it at all as an option). I would not be surprised if it was reliable.

Totally agree with that info, both my cars have had BT problems, they have been a nightmare. Sorted now though hopefully.

"The Audio/Communication/Entertainment/Navigation (ACEN) category continues to be the most problematic area, accounting for 22% of all problems reported—up from 20% last year.

I will ask this again. WTF is DRIVELINE?
40 years old. Car Enthusiast. Forum Moderator at SaabCentral for 10 years. Never once heard this term until you, Unob.

Back