Sold my cx-5

Keep in mind the Pano roof, heated wheel and heated rear seats are Canada exclusive. Plus the Canadian sold CRV's are made in Canada. Just a selling point IMO. Although because of high demand there is some border swapping. I may have to wait up to 3 months for my Silver V.
Like we don't get memory driver's seat and 6-way power passenger's seat Canadians get on 2016.5 CX-5, I wonder why the US customers are often treated as second-class citizens?

From UK reviewer AutoExpress

"The CR-V rides comfortably over rough surfaces, though it wallows on bigger bumps. Steering is light and accurate but lacking in feedback. We’ve heard rumors that the suspension won’t change much for UK models; given complaints about the old CR-V’s handling in our 2016 Driver Power survey, we doubt British drivers will be overly impressed.

Overall, the new Honda CR-V isn’t such a huge step forward over the current model. The interior is a big improvement, silly fake wood notwithstanding, and it’s hard to top the CR-V’s passenger space and practicality. But the interior lacks the posh feel of the Skoda Kodiaq and Kia Sportage and the driving dynamics are miles behind the Mazda CX-5."

Just chiming in with my opinion: Mazda, adjust the balancing line between too many and too few features a bit to make the CX-5 sweeter, but I swear I won't buy that ugly 2017 CR-V over the beautiful fun driving CX-5. I've expressed my admirations on the design of the CX-5 before, as an amateur photographer/web designer. To me, both the exterior and interior design of the CR-V is too ugly comparing to the 2016/2017 CX-5, especially the wood trim is just a eyesore.

My brother-in-law has 2 CR-Vs in his garage (2014, 2016) and I understand that he isn't very enthusiastic about cars. He can change oil and rotate tires, but doesn't even bother try to connect the phone via Bluetooth or know how to adjust the mirrors properly. I guess everyone has different priorities/preferences in picking a car, and my honeymoon with my first Mazda isn't over yet (I drove two Accords and a Civic before getting the CX-5).

My current regret is that my wife bought her 2014 Accord Sport in a hurry and I didn't have time to do my homework. It's a good car, low maintenance, handling is decent, back seats has plenty of room, but it's not even as fun as the CX-5. I can't help expressing my regret a few times, maybe a little too much that she suggested that we should trade it in for a Mazda 6 at some point :)

I know everyone has different opinions, so I'm just providing a different perspective from the other end of the spectrum. I guess I do fall into Mazda's targeted audience:

https://adexchanger.com/online-advertising/mazda-marketing-vp-upped-digital-spend-10-40-four-years/
Instead, Mazda focuses on the 16% of the US customers who say they love to drive, care about how their car looks and prefer sporty cars. Wager wants those people to not only become Mazda customers, but to be loyal customers of the brand.

I prefer to finance. $25,000 is a lot of money to tie up in an asset that will eventually be worth a mere fraction of that. If one can get a 0% or low interest rate (under 3%), it seems more sensible to put that money into something else that will retain value, or invest it. I am in my early 30's though, and still acquiring things. When I am older, I think I will become more of a cash customer, as the number of things I want to acquire will be less/gone, and it will make more sense to "get the very best deal, on this one and only thing".

That should REALLY only be a factor if you view cars as tradeable commodities whose purpose is to generate wealth (ie: an investment or financial instrument). Personally, I view them as long-term expendable assets. My intent is to use them up, not hold onto them for some future redeemable value. As a result, I don't give a flip what the trade-in value is... or if there is any, well... icing on the cake there. Of course, I hang onto cars for 10 years, so... probably an atypical consumer.

Last edited:
No Mazda is not fine, especially in the US market which is the largest car market in the world! Mazda is doing better than Mitsubishi but they're struggling too. The sales figure is flat and 2% US market share is too low to survive the market! That's why CEO Masamichi Kogai is trying to improve their very low customer retention rate to boost their sales in the
US.

Mazda's customer retention rate is near the bottom of all car companies. 2 out of 3 customers who buy a Mazda end up buying something else down the road. You call that fine? I don't.

True that rate is bad - but consider this - Mazda is building its reputation back from the Ford days. It was harder in 70s when Honda had to do it, it is even harder now. I am not saying MAzda needs to stay where they are - they are moving up slowly.
CX9 was not a hit, CX3 sales surprised me, Mazda 3 resale almost toe to toe with Honda Civic surprised me. Yes they have to move in right direction but the bounce back from 2013 or 2014 - which ever you consider is 3/4 years, I dont expect miracles in 4 years.

Also on retention - consider this - many people sell and swap cars to get something different or bigger or electric / hybrid. For Mazda they only offer the Miata, 2,3,6 and 3 crossovers. That is 7 models in total. That is one reason the retention might be low. If i wanted something like a Murano / Edge - I dont have any option in Mazda, an electric / a hybrid - no option (Hybrid in cali for HOV lane usage) - Honda and Toyota have these. The van market as well, many graduate from small CUV to Vans and guess what the Mazda 5 is smaller has worse crash ratings (for a family car?) - so no Van offering as well. I dont know if it is being discontinued.

So in summary - for 4 years where Mazda is - I think it is solid and if the trajectory is similar they will do well. Even at their peak - I do not expect Mazda to sell Rav4 / CRV numbers. Many buyers in the US are just value buyers - if Nissan / Kia puts cash on hood they will blink. Having said that - If I had the money I am absolutely getting the RF. thats a beauty.

Last edited:
⋯ Just yesterday I traded in my 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech and MMS for a 2017 Honda CRV. I have never been a fan of the CRV until i seen this Model Year's upgrade. A complete refresh. Yes it has a CTV Tranny and no maybe it doesn't quite handle like the cx-5 but i'd actually argue that one.

The reason I traded was for a few reasons. Apple car play, Panoramic sunroof, Memory seats for 2, heated steering wheel, Heated rear seats, power lift gate with foot detection, lane keep assist, full LED turn signals and headlights, bigger, roomier and IMO better looking.
Congrats and I believe you just bought one of the best compact CUVs on the market!

Honestly I was surprised LED turn signals are one of the reasons you preferred a new 2017 Honda CR-V! This just proves that many people are really picky on certain features. If you don't have it, they choose others who offer it!

Of course I was surprised too that on turn signals Mazda inherited old incandescent bulb design on a so-called "all-new" 2nd-gen CX-5, hence reuse old turn-signal control module to save some pennies! ;)

I prefer to finance. $25,000 is a lot of money to tie up in an asset that will eventually be worth a mere fraction of that. If one can get a 0% or low interest rate (under 3%), it seems more sensible to put that money into something else that will retain value, or invest it. I am in my early 30's though, and still acquiring things. When I am older, I think I will become more of a cash customer, as the number of things I want to acquire will be less/gone, and it will make more sense to "get the very best deal, on this one and only thing".

My rule for myself is if it goes up in value then it is OK to finance. Example, House. If it goes down in value then I pay cash (car) The one exception would be if I had the money for the car but could make more with it by investing it in something I can quickly liquidate then I would consider financing the car knowing I could pay it off in full any time.

My idea is to not assume that the future will take care of me. If I lose my job or want to quit, or if I want to move, I am free to do so.

Keep in mind the Pano roof, heated wheel and heated rear seats are Canada exclusive. Plus the Canadian sold CRV's are made in Canada. Just a selling point IMO. Although because of high demand there is some border swapping. I may have to wait up to 3 months for my Silver V.

Well, that sucks. The pano roof is something I am interested in. Actually, I am very highly considering giving the CX-5 to my kid and getting a Mustang Convertible!

My rule for myself is if it goes up in value then it is OK to finance. Example, House. If it goes down in value then I pay cash (car) The one exception would be if I had the money for the car but could make more with it by investing it in something I can quickly liquidate then I would consider financing the car knowing I could pay it off in full any time.

My idea is to not assume that the future will take care of me. If I lose my job or want to quit, or if I want to move, I am free to do so.

Thing about a vehicle is that it de-values fast, and if it's totalled, then you're out all that capital. You can lose $5-10K immediately, if it is totalled in the 1st year. It's a pretty big gamble. With financing...GAP. Bank eats it.

At least in New York, Gap insurance is available from your car insurance company. Also, If my car is totaled at say six months and I am content with replacing it with another 6 month old car I don't need Gap insurance.

From UK reviewer AutoExpress

"The CR-V rides comfortably over rough surfaces, though it wallows on bigger bumps. Steering is light and accurate but lacking in feedback. Weve heard rumors that the suspension wont change much for UK models; given complaints about the old CR-Vs handling in our 2016 Driver Power survey, we doubt British drivers will be overly impressed.

Overall, the new Honda CR-V isnt such a huge step forward over the current model. The interior is a big improvement, silly fake wood notwithstanding, and its hard to top the CR-Vs passenger space and practicality. But the interior lacks the posh feel of the Skoda Kodiaq and Kia Sportage and the driving dynamics are miles behind the Mazda CX-5."

Ouch. That is harsh but you have to love the honesty. I remember back in the day reading a comparison between a MG Midget and a Triumph Spitfire. The reviewers commented that the Spitfire was a car more suited for a hairdresser and recommended the MG.

With that said, I had a older 2004 CR-V and was about to get a 2014 CR-V. They are nice cars but very different than the CX-5.

damn those massively padded seats and headrests look super comfortable, also FLAT 2nd row ! no hump for 2nd row passenger,

Mazda needs to step it up, even their new full size CX-9 has a hump (not comfortable for 2nd row center passenger)

My neck hurts just looking at that headrest. No way to bend it backwards either! Which is probably the reason for the design.... I'm sure insurance companies love it though.

I wish I could retire on what pano sunroof costs :(

Well, if you are 30 and you put away $1000 for retirement, after 30 years that could be > $4000, if you invest very conservatively and even > $10K with pretty relatively low risk investment.
Wasting money at a younger age really makes a big dent, when it comes to retirement.

Also, I am sure many Americans don't have even proper retirement savings, college savings for their children, or even a rainy day fund, yet they wast their income on unnecessary stuff they don't need and can barely afford.

Saw a new CR-V up close this evening and the seats look super comfortable. The big difference b/t the CR-V and CX-5 (my opinion) is that you can spot the CX-5 rolling towards you from a distance...not so for the CR-V.

That picture screams 1985.

ROFL! It actually kindof does! I remember looking through National Geographic magazines in an elderly person's home one time as a kid, saw TONS of automotive adds from the 80's. It was a real head-trip for me, being born in 1986, to see what the world was like then. It was so simple. So...cut and dried. I really think I would have liked being a child in the 60's, to be honest, except that I would die in a world that had gone to s***, and that depresses me. At least I can HOPE for something better at this point...

Well, if you are 30 and you put away $1000 for retirement, after 30 years that could be > $4000, if you invest very conservatively and even > $10K with pretty relatively low risk investment.
Wasting money at a younger age really makes a big dent, when it comes to retirement.

Also, I am sure many Americans don't have even proper retirement savings, college savings for their children, or even a rainy day fund, yet they wast their income on unnecessary stuff they don't need and can barely afford.

My retirement plans are somewhat different. Maybe you can offer me some advice on that front?

My goal is by 40-45 to own everything I touch on a daily basis. House, land, car, etc. I have 35 acres that I'm currently selling, and hoping to make about $50K profit from. If this occurs, I can put down about 30 of that (have plans for the other 20) on another piece of property with a home on it. What I want goes for around $150-190K here (Don't hate me...I know how CA can be...). That leaves me with a "mere" $120-160K financed. I should be able to knock that out in 7-12 years, depending on how aggressively I try.

At that point, I will simply funnel everything I have into CD's or something.

The other aspect of this is my father. He is a packrat. He never sells anything, and he never will. I hope he lives forever. Unfortunately, our parents do not. As sad as it makes me to contemplate it, I will probably end up heir to his 3 houses and 15-20 acres, which I will then sell after going through to take all of the things I have memories of. I strongly suspect the proceeds of that alone would be plenty for me to "retire" on.

If of course he takes my advice and sells all of it and has a helluva time, I still will have 5-10 more years of solid income going directly into investments, etc.

I am not a fan AT ALL of IRA's and that crap. I know too many people who lost everything in 2008 who are now slaving away doing the same stuff I am, except they are in their 60's. Screw that.

Maybe some seat and fake woodgrain inspiration from 'late 80's Oldsmobile 98 Touring Sedan or Toronado? :) I have to admit those Olds seats do look pretty comfortable though.

1987-Touring-Sedan.jpg

Maybe some seat and fake woodgrain inspiration from 'late 80's Oldsmobile 98 Touring Sedan or Toronado? :) I have to admit those Olds seats do look pretty comfortable though.

1987-Touring-Sedan.jpg

Man, that was exactly what I was thinking, or some K-Car interior. Too funny.

Man, that was exactly what I was thinking, or some K-Car interior. Too funny.

I personally think it's going to work FOR them, if anything. I'd assume a lot of people buying vehicles like a CR-V are going to remember the 80's, and how much simpler things were back then, and they might just well MISS the 80's, and get a warm feeling seeing something that reminds them of it, whether they realize it, or not.'

For example, I grew up as a child exploring the pine forests of NE Texas, before I learned how ugly the world was and the only days I remembered were full of laughter and sunshine. If you put a pine-tree scented smell in a vehicle I was looking at, and it was a good replication of a pine forest, I bet I'd be more likely to think positive thoughts.

Back