Any Scangauge users confirm AT temp is picked up?

I got my OBD reader (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)) set-up yesterday on my iPhone. I got the free app (OBD Car Doctor) but after looking at the cool gauges Ijaen posted above I'm gonna have to buy the DashCommand app instead. The OBD Car Doctor does read the coolant temp but not the trans temp.

I had a bit of a scare while installing the reader in the CX-5 though. I followed the instructions and after plugging in the reader and starting the CX-5 I got the wrench indicator in the dash. At first I didn't think much about it, I thought that maybe while the reader was plugged in for some reason the wrench was displayed. So after playing with the software for a bit I shut the car off and unplugged the reader. I decided to start the car again to see if the wrench went away, it didn't! I'm thinking 'oh great, now I went and screwed something up'. I decided to check the maintenance section of the infotainment system and by coincidence the wrench was just the reminder that I have maintenance due in 15 days. It picked that exact moment to remind me.

I got my OBD reader (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)) set-up yesterday on my iPhone. I got the free app (OBD Car Doctor) but after looking at the cool gauges Ijaen posted above I'm gonna have to buy the DashCommand app instead. The OBD Car Doctor does read the coolant temp but not the trans temp.

I had a bit of a scare while installing the reader in the CX-5 though. I followed the instructions and after plugging in the reader and starting the CX-5 I got the wrench indicator in the dash. At first I didn't think much about it, I thought that maybe while the reader was plugged in for some reason the wrench was displayed. So after playing with the software for a bit I shut the car off and unplugged the reader. I decided to start the car again to see if the wrench went away, it didn't! I'm thinking 'oh great, now I went and screwed something up'. I decided to check the maintenance section of the infotainment system and by coincidence the wrench was just the reminder that I have maintenance due in 15 days. It picked that exact moment to remind me.
Lol. Don't you just hate those damn lights?

Same happened to me and a couple days later also went over a road issue and the ABS module threw a warning code and cleared it with the OBD reader. Payed itself right away as the stealership here bills $50 for a diagnostic hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

⋯ I got the wrench indicator in the dash.
Yeah, sometimes this red wrench indicator pops up too soon and too frequently. I'm using Flexible OCI since new and it popped up randomly after the oil life below 50% just around 4,000 miles on odometer. Kedis82ZE8 showed me a TSB and I went to dealer to have my ECM software updated. Since them the wrench indicated worked as expected so far.

So your OBD Car Doctor app looks worse than DashCommand? I got feeling that very few of these low-priced OBD2 readers can read true transmission fluid temperature but just coolant temperature instead.

Yeah, sometimes this red wrench indicator pops up too soon and too frequently. I'm using Flexible OCI since new and it popped up randomly after the oil life below 50% just around 4,000 miles on odometer. Kedis82ZE8 showed me a TSB and I went to dealer to have my ECM software updated. Since them the wrench indicated worked as expected so far.

So your OBD Car Doctor app looks worse than DashCommand? I got feeling that very few of these low-priced OBD2 readers can read true transmission fluid temperature but just coolant temperature instead.

I'm also using the flex OCI and am currently at 70%. The wrench indicator was yellow.

Yeah, the Car Doctor app shows a graph and a small digital readout of the parameters that it can display. I like the large gauges better.

I forgot to check and see at what coolant temp the blue indicator on the dash disappears, I'll do that next time.

I'm also using the flex OCI and am currently at 70%. The wrench indicator was yellow.

Yeah, the Car Doctor app shows a graph and a small digital readout of the parameters that it can display. I like the large gauges better.

I forgot to check and see at what coolant temp the blue indicator on the dash disappears, I'll do that next time.

Blue light turns off at 58C / 136F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench Indicator

The Owner's manual says wrench indicator and message such as "Oil change due!" are displayed in red but they actually are dark red or orange to me. If yours was yellow what message was displayed at the time?

Oil%252520Change%252520Due_02_20151215.jpg

The Owner's manual says wrench indicator and message such as "Oil change due!" are displayed in red but they actually are dark red or orange to me. If yours was yellow what message was displayed at the time?

Oil%252520Change%252520Due_02_20151215.jpg

I see that you have the 'A' type of dash. My car has the 'B' type and it doesn't display messages like yours does. If you'll look at your pic and note the Scheduled Maintenance section. That's what generated my yellow wrench in the dash. It was set to count down to 5k miles and it seemed to think that I was going to reach that number in 15 days. As I have under 3k miles now no way that I'll reach 5k in 15 days. I reset it.

Last edited:
Any torque user mind running the coolant temp pid on a drive and tell me the max temp it logged, and the approximate outside temp? thanks. I'm debating adding a small trans cooler from china into the grille and just wanted some comparison. I will be adding it for sure once the turboh is hooked up.

I did a check on the CX-5 yesterday. I'm not using Torque since it only works with android.

The blue light on the dash went off at 131f and the max temp that I saw yesterday (~40f) on a 30 minute drive was 190f.

Any torque user mind running the coolant temp pid on a drive and tell me the max temp it logged, and the approximate outside temp? thanks. I'm debating adding a small trans cooler from china into the grille and just wanted some comparison. I will be adding it for sure once the turboh is hooked up.
Where does the cooler tap into the trans?

Thanks, 190 was about tops for me too.

Where does the cooler tap into the trans?

Anywhere you want to intercept a coolant line. Id use the in and out on the oil cooler.

Last edited:
Thanks, 190 was about tops for me too.

Anywhere you want to intercept a coolant line. Id use the in and out on the oil cooler.

My understanding is that there are no external trans fluid lines thus nowhere to tap in for a trans fluid cooler. Is this not correct?

My understanding is that there are no external trans fluid lines thus nowhere to tap in for a trans fluid cooler. Is this not correct?
Right, it's reverse of traditional stock trans coolers. Coolant goes to the trans instead of the trans piping it's fluid to the radiator. So, maybe there's a way to tap off the trans cooler. That's why I asked. Was considering it myself. I have a few coolers laying around looking to hook them up somehow.

Last edited:
The (trans) oil cooler is connected to the trans and works by circulating trans fluid next to thebl coolant forna heat exchange. There is no actual external line for the fluid itself. The two 5/8 barbs are for coolant in/out. So also you would be helping reduce use of the fans. A lot of newer cars are using this method

The (trans) oil cooler is connected to the trans and works by circulating trans fluid next to thebl coolant forna heat exchange. There is no actual external line for the fluid itself. The two 5/8 barbs are for coolant in/out. So also you would be helping reduce use of the fans. A lot of newer cars are using this method
Coolant is also used to bring the trans up to operating temp quickly,if you disconnect the antifreeze coolant lines and put an air cooler in its place, you could be over cooling it. Guess that's where a trans fluid temp gauge comes in handy. Are you planning to just bypass the stock setup by taking the trans heat exchanger off and tapping into the inlet/outlet ports?

Last edited:
Back