Under seat sub box for 10", and small space subs

Anyone have a recommendation for a 10" subwoofer box that fits under front seat, or will I need to go 8", or build my own? I have some older kicker 10" and 8" subs that might work. However, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with subs built specifically for small enclosures-- buy into the hype? Are they really that much better suited or are we talking about an almost unnoticeable difference? I need to keep my cargo area space intact.

I have build mine, in the spare wheel. Sealed the bottom holes, with a 6" rubber and a 6" aluminum "washer". Placed a MDF over it, cut the hole for the JLAudio shallow 10" and speaker wire connections and strapped it it all together with two ratcheting straps. It works great. Also replaced the original spare wheel "thumb screw" with a regular screw and added a wrench to the tool set.

Today I ordered a slanted generic 1 cu ft truck box and MTX FPR12-02 shallow sub to put behind the driver's seat since nobody ever sits there. After seeing several underseat subs on youtube that could not even vibrate a cardboard air freshener, I realized that I would be throwing money away. YMMV

You'll have to be very creative to stuff a 10" under the seat with the cross bar though you might try getting a shallow 8" and using 1/4" acrylic or plexiglass. I saw a video in the Subaru Sti forums where someone did that.

Thanks. Don't think I want to install in spare tire area but I'll give it consideration again. I have installed amps in those locations before and might do again. It has occurred to me that I lose very little space with a bottom firing sub in a compact box placed in cargo area (since I can place stuff on top of it... i have some sports bags that are always with me).. of a height of say 5 or 6 inches. The underseat is just going to be very tight and almost eat into footroom of rear passengers. I think i want to stick with a 10"... it can just go much lower than an 8. I may build a box and see if I can live with it. Thinking I'm going to have to buy a shallow mount sub though.

Thanks. Don't think I want to install in spare tire area but I'll give it consideration again. I have installed amps in those locations before and might do again. It has occurred to me that I lose very little space with a bottom firing sub in a compact box placed in cargo area (since I can place stuff on top of it... i have some sports bags that are always with me).. of a height of say 5 or 6 inches. The underseat is just going to be very tight and almost eat into footroom of rear passengers. I think i want to stick with a 10"... it can just go much lower than an 8. I may build a box and see if I can live with it. Thinking I'm going to have to buy a shallow mount sub though.

That was my thought exactly Sammy, let us know what woofer you have in mind. (I personally like the sound of a sealed 10 crossed right around 80 Hz

Back