CX-5 new owner, blacked out, what next

New owner of '14 CX-5 GT for about 2 weeks. Have been customizing it to the vision I've had and am almost done. Lighting was weird today with clouds but it's Meteor Gray:

20170219_193519 by SC, on Flickr

20170219_115019 by SC, on Flickr

So far I've had the stock 19s powdercoated black w/ satin finish. I've blacked out all the chrome emblems and trim. Added a class iii hitch and swagman chinook bike rack. I had it tinted 35% fronts and 20% 6" visor strip. Today I painted the exhaust tips black with semi gloss and added LED interior lights. The emblems are plastidipped and look okay but I'm not entirely happy with them so will eventually pull them and paint permanently (will a heat gun pull them easily?). I'm trying to decide if I should black out the wheel center caps.

I have a 1000 watt Kenwood sub amp and either a 10" or 8" sub I'll add eventually probably underseat. Once I decide what kind of enclosure to buy or build. The Bose system sounds decent once I faded most of the sound rearward.

I'm used to adding performance mods to vehicles but not so interested in going that route. I mean it is just an 184 hp 4 banger so... I'm either interested in creature comforts/features making the daily driving experience better or classy exterior upgrades/mods.

I have all weather mats. I NEED more and better cargo area lighting. What other recommended CX5 accessories would you folks suggest?? Anything you'd add to exterior to complete the blacked out look? I may get a carbon fiber look cargo bumper protector bc it currently has the chrome one that looks removable. I really don't know what else is out there for CX5s?? It has the HID adaptive lights and I'm not going to mess with those. I may add roof rails later but not at this time. I don't want to lower it (need the clearance) and like the stock 19s.

Appreciate any thoughts on suggested upgrades. Thanks. If you don't like the blacked out look that's okay, no need to comment negatively. It's a diversion from what I'm used to but I like it.

Last edited:
You're a strange bird, unob.
Nice car, Sammy.

Sent from my LG V10

New owner of '14 CX-5 GT for about 2 weeks. Have been customizing it to the vision I've had and am almost done. Lighting was weird today with clouds but it's Meteor Gray:

...Added a class iii hitch and swagman chinook bike rack. ...

I am looking at a hitch for my CX-5. Which one did you go with? Why Class III? (I'm looking at a class II - because I don't think the CX5 can haul over a class II rating... But I could be wrong - I know nothing about hitches!)

I am looking at a hitch for my CX-5. Which one did you go with? Why Class III? (I'm looking at a class II - because I don't think the CX5 can haul over a class II rating... But I could be wrong - I know nothing about hitches!)

It's a Draw Tite, about $115 or so at etrailer... appears the 3 they offer are all the same design and features (maybe same mfg). I'd go class III for versatility of 2" and strength even if overkill... they're only $20 more. I think all the class IIs have 1.5" receiver holes, and I have a several 2" ball mounts for various trailers. They're rated for 2,000 lbs towing so not much, but do have a small utility trailer and could see using it for jon boat/jet ski/motorcycle, etc.

Hitch install is pretty easy with included bolt threaders to get the bolts thru frame. Watch the great video on etrailer just before doing it.
My tips: LEAVE the rubber hangers mounted to the car side, not the exhaust, if you don't have them mounted when you bolt up the hitch you'll never get the hangars onto the posts. Use a bit of wd-40 on hangar or silicone spray to remount easily.

I'm curious how you managed the powder-coating. Not knowing how long that takes, was your car just up on blocks for awhile, or...?

I'm curious how you managed the powder-coating. Not knowing how long that takes, was your car just up on blocks for awhile, or...?

Yep, 2 days on 4 jack stands. Find a reputable powder coater. They will want you to bring them the bare wheels. So you'll need to have the tires removed as well as the valve stems. Our cx5s have indirect tpms so no tpms sensors in wheels... so don't let a shop charge you for the tpms kit/removal. The powder coater will sandblast / hand sand the paint off and prep wheels, then paint and bake in oven for about 30 mins at 400 deg give or take. Then you'll have the tires mounted and balanced and reinstall. Some powdercoaters can rush them for you or they may be backed up. .. just depends.

Yep, 2 days on 4 jack stands. Find a reputable powder coater. They will want you to bring them the bare wheels. So you'll need to have the tires removed as well as the valve stems. Our cx5s have indirect tpms so no tpms sensors in wheels... so don't let a shop charge you for the tpms kit/removal. The powder coater will sandblast / hand sand the paint off and prep wheels, then paint and bake in oven for about 30 mins at 400 deg give or take. Then you'll have the tires mounted and balanced and reinstall. Some powdercoaters can rush them for you or they may be backed up. .. just depends.

Well the end result is really really nice!

I have been going through the process myself. The Curt class III has a tongue weight of 525lbs and has a 2 inch hitch opening. The Curt class II has a 350lb tongue weight and has a 1-1/4 inch hitch opening. Having the extra tongue weight is a comfort for me. Although I do not intend to tow with my CX5, I have always carried a lot of weight on top of my Isuzu (kayaks, canoes, lumber, etc.). I use an Extend-a-Truck II to support the loads above the roof. I would like to use it to do the same with my CX-5. When I get it figured out, I will post my solution.

I don't like it. Too much sameness. Glad you like it, though, sammy.

whoa, that's a BIG hitch. Ours has a 1.25" square receiver, and it's tucked up into the rear bumper more. You don't plan on keeping the bike rack on there all the time, do you? From my experience even an empty bike rack makes fuel economy take a hit. I only put mine on when I need it, which thankfully isn't much (I normally ride out from my house).

I went with a Curt class III through eTrailer. I wanted the extra tongue weight for carrying loads on top. And yes, it is a big hitch. But, it doesn't bother me.

IMG_2238.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

Beautiful CX-5, OP. Damn...if I had a grey one I would do exactly like yours. As it is, mine is Black, so I am thinking black on black might be a bit tacky. (shrug)

Totally works with the meteor grey though with beautiful results.

So far I've had the stock 19s powdercoated black w/ satin finish. I've blacked out all the chrome emblems and trim. Added a class iii hitch and swagman chinook bike rack. I had it tinted 35% fronts and 20% 6" visor strip. Today I painted the exhaust tips black with semi gloss and added LED interior lights. The emblems are plastidipped and look okay but I'm not entirely happy with them so will eventually pull them and paint permanently (will a heat gun pull them easily?). I'm trying to decide if I should black out the wheel center caps.

I have a 1000 watt Kenwood sub amp and either a 10" or 8" sub I'll add eventually probably underseat. Once I decide what kind of enclosure to buy or build. The Bose system sounds decent once I faded most of the sound rearward.

I'm used to adding performance mods to vehicles but not so interested in going that route. I mean it is just an 184 hp 4 banger so... I'm either interested in creature comforts/features making the daily driving experience better or classy exterior upgrades/mods.

I have all weather mats. I NEED more and better cargo area lighting. What other recommended CX5 accessories would you folks suggest?? Anything you'd add to exterior to complete the blacked out look? I may get a carbon fiber look cargo bumper protector bc it currently has the chrome one that looks removable. I really don't know what else is out there for CX5s?? It has the HID adaptive lights and I'm not going to mess with those. I may add roof rails later but not at this time. I don't want to lower it (need the clearance) and like the stock 19s.

Appreciate any thoughts on suggested upgrades. Thanks. If you don't like the blacked out look that's okay, no need to comment negatively. It's a diversion from what I'm used to but I like it.

Looks like mine!

Looking good dude. I have the roof rails so I did those Black too and I love the look of it (less of a Mom car in my opinion)

I'm debating whether to go Class II or III when I get my diesel CX5 as well. Already have a Class I - 1.25" on my SX4 that I use with our bike rack and light duty towing.

So another 1.25" would make sense for not having to buy another ball mount or use the spacers for my bike rack but having extra strength/capacity for tongue weight etc is never a bad idea. You can't over do components when it comes to towing safety IMO.

But is Class III just unnecessary overkill...?

Back