Considering a CX5

FWIW, I bought a new loaded Grand Touring CX-5 in May of 2013 and now have 73,000 miles on it. My MPG has steadily been between 26 and 27 on a regular basis, which is a good mix of both highway (75 MPH) and bad city traffic. I've really enjoyed this car; it's been serviced by the book since I got it (on the original maintenance plan and then bought an extended one) and has been absolutely trouble-free. Put new tires on it last summer; not many choices there! Anyway I'm possibly five years from retiring so I'm looking at buying what may well be my last vehicle, while I still have the income to pay for it. I've been shopping on-line a lot, looking at getting something cushier and fancier, which right now might be the Mercedes GLC or the Lexus RX or -- gawd -- maybe the Porsche Macan, if I want to eat Top Ramen in my twilight years (which I just might do). However, in all my on-line research, I still feel that the CX-5 is one of the best values out there, period. My tech at the dealership said "wait until you see the 2017s!" -- adding that they will have some nice fancier/cushier touches. So I definitely will be checking them out. I had been looking at getting another RAV-4, too, when I got wind of the CX-5, and the car and the ratings sold me on it. It was a good decision for me. Lots of variables and different priorities for us all in cars, but the CX-5 is a lot of vehicle for the money, in my book.

I use the buttons on the wheel. My display is turned off 75% of the time. I have an iPod hardwired with my songs. Its a 4th gen and i likely wont upgrade it. Also have a spare android phone to just plug in and play. I like the commander knob though. Its safe to browse through songs - safer than the touch screen.

I use both the wheel buttons and the commander knob. Sometimes at the same time!! Example: Commander knob when adjusting the treble/bass and steering wheel button with left hand on the wheel steering. Only while driving in light traffic though and not freeway unless its empty. I use android phone via bluetooth in random order mode so if anything I'm mostly skipping to the next song really. I also have an aftermarket bass knob for my aftermarket amp/subwoofer which unfortunately is installed near my right knee. I might reposition it closer to the commander knob. Everything else is very ergonomically set up for me and also very driver centric. Minimal eyes off road.

FWIW, I bought a new loaded Grand Touring CX-5 in May of 2013 and now have 73,000 miles on it. My MPG has steadily been between 26 and 27 on a regular basis, which is a good mix of both highway (75 MPH) and bad city traffic. I've really enjoyed this car; it's been serviced by the book since I got it (on the original maintenance plan and then bought an extended one) and has been absolutely trouble-free. Put new tires on it last summer; not many choices there! Anyway I'm possibly five years from retiring so I'm looking at buying what may well be my last vehicle, while I still have the income to pay for it. I've been shopping on-line a lot, looking at getting something cushier and fancier, which right now might be the Mercedes GLC or the Lexus RX or -- gawd -- maybe the Porsche Macan, if I want to eat Top Ramen in my twilight years (which I just might do). However, in all my on-line research, I still feel that the CX-5 is one of the best values out there, period. My tech at the dealership said "wait until you see the 2017s!" -- adding that they will have some nice fancier/cushier touches. So I definitely will be checking them out. I had been looking at getting another RAV-4, too, when I got wind of the CX-5, and the car and the ratings sold me on it. It was a good decision for me. Lots of variables and different priorities for us all in cars, but the CX-5 is a lot of vehicle for the money, in my book.
This right here is a good post. My touring had these features that mattered : BSM, RCTA and power seats.
To get these on Rav4 you need to touch 29K USD. I got mine + Bose + moon roof for 24K USD, i dont think Toyota would have discounted their Rav4 by that much. Honda is even a notch more expensive. In 2016 if you exclude Cheapo brands Kia Hyundai and Nissan - dollar for dollar CX-5 was a great choice in terms of ride and a more mature look.

Oh, I know the auto-dim is an option, but I never would have thought about getting it had it not come with the package! Just another one of those minor little conveniences that I never knew I needed until I had it. ;)

Like the remote start that you guys don't know nothin' about. I REALLY miss that :(

I believe Remote Start is a $500 option.
Yeah, that's afterthoughts not from factory even though it's Mazda dealer installed accessory either with a separate remote key fob or a very slow cell phone app with monthly subscription fee! On the other hand 2017 Honda CR-V and many others have remote start function built-in to the factory remote key fob.

Yeah, that's afterthoughts not from factory even though it's Mazda dealer installed accessory either with a separate remote key fob or a very slow cell phone app with monthly subscription fee! On the other hand 2017 Honda CR-V and many others have remote start function built-in to the factory remote key fob.

My 2010 Jeep did. I honestly thought all SUV's did and was stunned when my CX-5 didn't.

So much misinformation.

The CX5 is very after market remote start friendly. You can install one yourself in about an hour.

Otherwise, you have 3 options.
1 Dealer can get an outside company to install an aftermarket starter for you. $299-$399.

2 Mazda fob. Dealer installed. This has some LEDs on it. Honestly not sure what it informs you of. If the car is warm? $599

3 The "laggy" app. This allows you to remote start your car from anywhere on Earth. That's right. If you are in Chile, you can start your car in Detroit. What a world we live in. But people complain it's laggy. First world problems. How does it do this? They add a cellular radio to your car. That's why there is an annual, not monthly, fee of $61. Installed price: $750.

I promise you, most car companies do not include this free on any but the highest trim models. GM and Ford both do cellular start for an annual fee. The Jeep Latitude I looked at (mid trim level) did not have it.
I think only Kia or Hyundai include it free on select models.

Not defending any business practice. It is the 21st Century. I think every car should have basic remote start. Of course, crazy me, I think all safety options should be standard, too. I have to pay extra...to not die in your car?

Option 1, mine
289862ddc0a32bc7abe3efe355e839cf.jpg

Option 2, yes you have to carry both fobs,. Cue the whining that you have to carry 2 fobs:
191108.jpg

14RESKeyFob.jpg

Last edited:
So much misinformation.
The CX5 is very after market remote start friendly.
We're discussing remote start options from "factory". Mazda so far only offers afterthought remote start accessory with extra fob or slow、unreliable、and expensive cell phone app. On the other hand, new Honda CR-V offers fully "integrated" remote start from factory if you're willing to go for higher trim. Or there're option from Honda accessory, and even more aftermarket options you can choose than CX-5!

Mazda Mobile Start (MMS) sometimes takes 4 minutes to start the engine. Besides, even if you have need to start your CX-5 parked in Detroit from Chile, are you going to let the engine running until the gas runs dry? Is MMS capable of shutting down the engine remotely?

We're discussing remote start options from "factory".

Who said that's all we were discussing? Unob said "Too bad you guys don't know what remote start is" that implies we cannot get remote start. Period. Not that you can't get remote start factory installed.
I explained IN GREAT DETAIL what your options are when you buy a new CX5. Will Honda have an outside company come in and install an aftermarket Remote Start for you? Answer: seriously doubt that.

Mazda so far only offers afterthought remote start accessory with extra fob
An afterthought? LOL Sigh... I think it looks pretty cool, actually. Maybe making all the tech into one key would make it too big?

or slow、unreliable、and expensive cell phone app.
As usual, who are you going to hear from more? The happy people? or the ones having issues. Takes less then a minute to work, from what I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m39lf8J4u9E

On the other hand, new Honda CR-V offers fully "integrated" remote start from factory if you're willing to go for higher trim.
Which won't work from Chile. :D But it IS about time. And that's new this year? I agree this IS taking far too long to be standard for everyone.

and even more aftermarket options you can choose than CX-5!
Proof? As I said, it is very aftermarket friendly. Any shop can do it. I thought it was this site that had people installing it themselves too? Couldn't do that on my Saab. Couldn't even get it.

2 people in that thread have it. One says 4 minutes, the other says 1.

Last edited:
I swear I've never seen a more pessimistic car forum in my life. Is it a Japanese car thing? On the SaabCentral, we didn't whine every time BMW came out with a new feature. We loved our cars... shortcomings and all. Maybe I should find a new forum?

Hehehe j/k

Weird. Totally weird. I took it for granted in my Jeep. Hit the button on the fob, she cranks up and runs for 15min, if you don't go get in it, it shuts off. You can do this 2 times before it won't start except manually. Loved it. I figured almost a decade later, it would have been standard?

Weird. Totally weird. I took it for granted in my Jeep. Hit the button on the fob, she cranks up and runs for 15min, if you don't go get in it, it shuts off. You can do this 2 times before it won't start except manually. Loved it. I figured almost a decade later, it would have been standard?

My MIL bought the exact same Latitude I was looking at. Dealer installed Remote Start for her, didn't come with it (she got it free though, she's bought like 15 cars from this guy).

I swear I've never seen a more pessimistic car forum in my life. Is it a Japanese car thing? On the SaabCentral, we didn't whine every time BMW came out with a new feature. We loved our cars... shortcomings and all. Maybe I should find a new forum?

Hehehe j/k

No, believe me, it is not you. Stay and hopefully the others will go away.

No because it is a stupid waste of gas and most people don't want it. I have the remote start and honestly never use it. It is a $500 addition that you can easily negotiate to be included.

Most people don't want it? Ha. Obviously a southerner. Everyone north of the mason Dixon like wants remote start. Lol!

Sent from my LG V10

Back