02 Suspension rebuild

Tweety Bird

:
2002 Protege5
Hello everyone,
My first post so here is a little back story. I have owned my P5 since 2003 and have put 218K miles on her. I have had absolutely no problems at all, other than standard maintenance. She needs some suspension work, so in my usual way I am going to do a complete rebuild, like I did on '70 Fiat Spider. My question to you guys is what brands are good oem replacements. Here is a list of some of the stuff I have found, please feel free to suggest any changes, keep in mind it is a daily driver not a race car :~).
MOOG Front end kit(inner/outer tie rod ends, control arms), stabilizer bar links, rear trailing arms, and springs
KYB struts
I also need to replace the CV-joints so any suggestions on a good brand would be great.
Thanks for reading.

moog = overhyped garbage
they "feature" old school style zerk grease fittings which are high maintenance, cumbersome, and messy... people argue that they work "better" because they "last longer" from frequent regreasing... they don't last any longer than the original "sealed for life" ones and could wear out sooner from not greasing them or enough of it

if you want to treat the car right, stick with OEM

KYB struts are better than the OEM ones, so go with those

you can have a local axle repair shop rebuild your CV joints if you want also... could save you money and it'll be good as new

moog = overhyped garbage
they "feature" old school style zerk grease fittings which are high maintenance, cumbersome, and messy... people argue that they work "better" because they "last longer" from frequent regreasing... they don't last any longer than the original "sealed for life" ones and could wear out sooner from not greasing them or enough of it

KYB struts are better than the OEM ones, so go with those

you can have a local axle repair shop rebuild your CV joints if you want also... could save you money and it'll be good as new

Haha.. Everyone toots their horn about greaseable parts, when the factory sealed parts last 100+k and 10 years, and the aftermarket parts are lucky to even last half that (grease fitting or not), especially when Slappy the lube tech pumps half a tube of grease in them and blows all the seals.

Moog is really hit or miss. If you can get their Premium USA line, they'll be good, but there's no easy way to tell what you'll end up getting, and a lot of their parts are Chinese and low quality.

I've had Mevotech tie rod ends on my P5 for two years now and they're still good and tight.. Nearly 40k miles. I give them a couple pumps of grease every few months, that's all it takes. I'm not one to buy inexpensive parts, but Mevotech has been good to me.

I paid about $100 shipped for both replacement CV axles from rockauto, they fit and work fine.

Ok so I went to an oem Mazda parts store online and for the most part the prices seem doable, however I have one question. Do all P5s have sport suspension? The reason I ask is a lot of the parts in the description say w/sport suspension or w/out sport suspension.
Thanks for the input.

Yes the P5 has the sport suspension. The mazdaspeed is referred to as MPS2 suspension.

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure the sport suspension is for the Mazdaspeeds. They had upgraded suspension like struts, springs, and sway bars. The P5 should have the regular suspension components.

EDIT: Well, seems like I'm wrong haha ignore my post

Back