Takes forever to get heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it is normal for.the fans to be on when I have the hvac set to defrost the windshield? And that is normal for at least the cx5

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

it's normal on most "late model" cars... cars made within the past 15 years do this... any brand

Surely it shouldn't matter whether the radiator cooling fan is on or not, since the thermostat is restricting the coolant flow to only the engine and heater until it gets hot enough to let some hot through to the rad and draw some cold back?

it absolutely matters
what does an A/C do? COOL AIR
Why is cool air coming out of the vents? Because the A/C is on!

It WILL be on when any of the follow modes are selected, whether the "A/C" indicator light is on or not (typically most modern cars): Defrost, combo defrost/feet, feet

Yes, it's normal for the fans to be on, in the engine compartment, when the defrost is selected.

of course it comes on, because the A/C is running!
The A/C condenser needs air flow in order for it to work properly!

Sounds like bad sensor or stuck valve to heater core, heat should come out vents; doesn't matter if ac is on (it often is, to dry air). Dealer will get you a faster answer than internet brigade...

heat will come out poorly from the vents when A/C is on... A/C cools air, DUH!
furthermore, defrost mode automatically switches to outside air mode just like how it automatically switches A/C on.. this is a "feature" of most modern cars (pretty much anything made within this century)

the owner manual says this, the car is designed to do this and can be observed just by looking at what comes on... if there was truely an issue, the "check engine" light would've came on long ago with a "thermostat stuck open" fault code

Doubt I could be more disappointed then with this thread. Thread is the waste of time.

because you didn't believe us the A/C is on when you selected "defroster" mode... it doesn't matter if you pushed the A/C button in or not
your fault for wasting OUR time and not reading the owner's manual!

Well technically I did not waste your time. You wasted your own time by responding to a post you were not forced to respond to.

These motors run very cool.

If you are sitting there idling, it will take forever to heat up. Because of no engine load.

If you have AC/defrost on before warmup, it will take forever to heat up. Because you have cold water circulating thru the heater core, you have the cooling fans running, and your AC is on.

If you are doing both, it might never heat up! (chair)

Your extreme cold climate is well suited for an addition of a block heater.
11409_1.jpg

Last edited:
heat will come out poorly from the vents when A/C is on... A/C cools air, DUH!
furthermore, defrost mode automatically switches to outside air mode just like how it automatically switches A/C on.. this is a "feature" of most modern cars (pretty much anything made within this century)

the owner manual says this, the car is designed to do this and can be observed just by looking at what comes on... if there was truely an issue, the "check engine" light would've came on long ago with a "thermostat stuck open" fault code

Chill dude. The A/C on in winter is common for moisture removal purposes and the heat from the core is more than enough than overcome whatever cooling it provides. OP has no heat at all; something else is the issue.

No need to put down the op. He was being respectful and didn't deserve certain condascending remarks. He is new and mentioned he was taking to the dealer after other users input. No need to assert an ego onto him afterwards. He is new and should feel welcomed. Lets save the bickering for disagreements between established members at least lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back