Oil Pan Replacement Help 06 Mazda 5 Sport

kdr426

:
2006 5
I have not been able to locate much in the way of help or info in relation to pulling a pan and replacing it. I destroyed mine. Actually sober so I'm not sure what category that may put me in???

I am a week in as far as research, finding a replacement, to gasket or not to gasket (silicone gasket maker only) are just a few of the questions.
I believe I've found a replacement pan for $100. I'll know when I see it. There are new OEM versions available from 250 to 500 plus. $ is always an issue!

Yesterday I crawled underneath and began the dismantle process. Of course there is the one PITA bolt that now has a rounded head and an easy-out broken off in it. Suggestions on the removal of that are welcome. I believe a better easy-out is the answer. I really don't have many options there. Maybe drilling to remove the head or simply destroying it, however that is no solution. Just more problems.

The AC compressor that bolts into or through the oil pan may be the biggest issue. I can't pull the pan yet so I really don't know. (insert the PITA bolt) I may be able to slide it (the compressor) out of the way attach the new pan, then slide it back into position. The belt is what worries me. Is the tension going to be an issue? I've read posts about replacing the belt and tools used for that. I may be faced with this or maybe not. IDK.

I am no mechanical genius. I been able to take it apart, solve the problem then put it back together and it starts...so far.
This site and it's members have made replacement of the dreaded PCV valve, fuel injectors, throttle body cleaning and other assorted adventures.
Pretty amazing for someone coming from the 350ci generation.

I'm at 204,000k and counting on my 5. The motor is strong IMO and still has a lot of life left. I'd rather fix it and drive it to 300k maybe 400???
Many additional projects ahead but this one has me on jack stands.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Kyle

(nailbyt)

Last edited:
Back