What are you proud of lately?

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Personal, professional, family, projects...this is a feel-good thread. What are you proud of achieving or helping someone achieve, this week?

*does not have to relate to Mazda, but can certainly do so!*

I'll start it off. I'm proud of hitting new max lifts on bench and squat this week. I didn't go as low as powerlifting competition standards require on my squat, and I'm bummed about that, but I don't lift for a living or as a competitor, and a lot of people told me it was legit, but either way, I'm proud of it! Videos when I get home.

Last edited:
Not something to be proud of, some people will just call me stupid, but I often give a buck or two to the "homeless" waiting at freeway's exits. I'm aware that some of them are regulars, some are legitimate jobless, some are just lazy, but if they have a reason to stand outside in Minnesota's winter for hours, I assume they're in need of help somewhat. I'm not making tons of money (otherwise I'd have a Miata beside the CX-5 :), but it feels good to share a bit here and there to the less-lucky.

Not something to be proud of, some people will just call me stupid, but I often give a buck or two to the "homeless" waiting at freeway's exits. I'm aware that some of them are regulars, some are legitimate jobless, some are just lazy, but if they have a reason to stand outside in Minnesota's winter for hours, I assume they're in need of help somewhat. I'm not making tons of money (otherwise I'd have a Miata beside the CX-5 :), but it feels good to share a bit here and there to the less-lucky.

I pray from my heart you are able to buy a miata RF for the winters!! just would love the look of people around you when you lift the roof at a stop light in a blizzard! do it man!

Makes you feel good. Nothing wrong at all with being proud of what makes you feel good, so long as it's not criminal or "sick".

I thought this thread would've received more responses. I'll throw my 2 cents in, technically for this week. Made a donation to St. Judes Hospital for Children. I try to make a regular donation. I hate to see kids not well like that.

I thought this thread would've received more responses. I'll throw my 2 cents in, technically for this week. Made a donation to St. Judes Hospital for Children. I try to make a regular donation. I hate to see kids not well like that.
Good for you! Pediatrics are some of my favorite patients. They did nothing to cause their own maladies, and most are too honest and innocent to lie and manipulate for drugs. I get the most joy out of fixing a ped, I think.

As to this thread not getting much responses, I'm not surprised either. It's a pure feelgood thread. People aren't about that, but they sure want to whine if you post something negative, lol!

Good for you! Pediatrics are some of my favorite patients. They did nothing to cause their own maladies, and most are too honest and innocent to lie and manipulate for drugs. I get the most joy out of fixing a ped, I think.

As to this thread not getting much responses, I'm not surprised either. It's a pure feelgood thread. People aren't about that, but they sure want to whine if you post something negative, lol!

Exactly my sentiments. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is another of my favorite donations.

Never can go wrong donating to the wellbeing of a child.

A local home schooled teen has rearranged his schooling scheduled so he and I can take off work the last three Thursdays and work with other volunteers getting a new crises pregnancy center ready to open next week. I am proud of him.

Frank

A dog we rescued off the street was adopted into her forever home. That felt pretty good. She was skin and bones (full-grown dachshund, about 8.5#) when we scooped her up.

Nothing wrong with this. I've slipped a few bucks to people like this. Yeah, I know, some are scammers, but that's on them. If the money goes to some one who actually needs it, so much the better.

My son made me proud. Does that count? We were debating signing him back up for Karate.
"Do you really want to do this, buddy? Seems like you don't a lot". I'm not going to force him.
"Yes, daddy, I want my black belt!"
Driving him home after class and another 6 month commitment.
From the back seat "And daddy"
"yes?"
"I'm not quitting when I get my black belt. I want to keep going so I can help the other boys get theirs". (Black belts help the other kids when needed).
That was not a tear in my eye. Such a good kid.

Sent from my LG V10

My son made me proud. Does that count? We were debating signing him back up for Karate.
"Do you really want to do this, buddy? Seems like you don't a lot". I'm not going to force him.
"yes?"
"I'm not quitting when I get my black belt. I want to keep going so I can help the other boys get theirs". (Black belts help the other kids when needed).

Sent from my LG V10
I enjoyed martial arts a lot when I was a teenager. A lot of parents think it will predispose their child to violence, but in my case (and most others...) I found that it made me actually avoid it, more, when possible and practical, rather than "seek to prove".

"yes?"

Sent from my LG V10

Definitely count. It's good to hear that he's not gonna quit after getting black belt, that's the most common mistake people make (I've seen too many). Black belt is just the beginning of actual karate learning. Although they usually say "a black belt is a white belt that never quit", the masters are the one where the belts get black, washed to be back to white and become black again.

Depending on the school/dojo, some locations are very friendly with the kids treating each other like family, my daughter always see karate as a place to get her spirit up. Some schools are a little more competitive (a combo of the composition of the neighborhood and instructors), I don't like those places as the kids are always tense and tend to act up/show off and keeping distances.

Also, once he gets to second degree, if he's serious and put in effort, the instructor will recognize that and would offer him a chance to be assistant instructor (at least at National Karate). It's tough to teach a class, especially for young people, but they learn a lot. My daughter is in the training process, it's also weird to teach beginner kids at the same age or older than her (she's a 7th grader). Well, at least she got a job :)

I should have mentioned he is 6! And he already wants to help out other kids?!? Awesome.

I should have mentioned he is 6! And he already wants to help out other kids?!? Awesome.

That's a good starting age. Also encourage him to participate in tournaments (individual/team form/sparring). Win or loose, that'll give him valuable experience and confidence for his personality, and teach him how to deal with stressful situations.

Now you get more chances to enjoy the CX-5 driving him to karate :) I do, a lot, driving like an ass when we're about to be late to class.

I am proud of my CX5 mpg. Currently driving like a saint and allowing fellow drivers merge in peacefully. With an odd commute hitting 32 ish. Only thing i hate about my habit is trying to beat amber lights lol cause idling at stop causes fuel burn!

If i didnt have so many stop n go with inclines i would be doing 33 - heck i think i can still do 33 on a tank.. only need some luck and less traffic.

Last edited:
Back