Upgrading from a 16" to 17" rim

Wiggles357

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
I purchased a 2002 Mazda Protege ES about 2 years ago and I absolutely love the car. Im at a point where I want to play with it a little bit. Among plans I have for my car are the rims. Which right now are the 16" alloys that came stock. I would like to put an aftermarket 17" rim on it. Is this possible? My car is completely stock for right now. If a 17" is possible, what would be the best rim setup to prevent any rubbing on fender or hitting any suspension components? Thank you for your time.

Stock height you won't have to worry about rubbing unless you get an 8" wide rim in which it may hit the strut. Lowering springs are cheap and really improve the look of the car, especially if you upgrade the wheels.

I don't recommend 18s - too heavy when you're on a limited budget. Even if going with 17s, try to get the lightest ones for the money. Tirerack's site allows you to sort the wheels by lightest to heaviest. There is typically a huge difference in weight between the lightest and heaviest. Heavier wheels = slower acceleration and poorer braking performance.

Back