Is it okay to max out the volume?

:
Mazda CX-5 2106.5
I have a 2016.5 CX-5 GT. I usually keep the volume level between 20-42. At times I won't to raise it to 50+, could I blow out the speakers or damage the radio at all if I max out the volume to the highest setting?

The RADIO? Doubtful. Streaming from your phone? Possible. Leave your phone volume below max and you can probably crank it too.

If it's too loud... you're too old. :D

The RADIO? Doubtful. Streaming from your phone? Possible. Leave your phone volume below max and you can probably crank it too.

If it's too loud... you're too old. :D

Or you're too old and your hearing is shot. (band)

Or your hearings shot because you have it on too loud....

I know from experience..... treasure your hearing, you can't get it back even with hearing aids(headshake(headshake(headshake(headshake(headshake(headshake

If you overdrive the amplifier, it will 'clip', and that can quickly burn out high-frequency speaker drivers. 'Tweeters' don't need a lot of wattage to make loud sounds. In a two-way system, the woofer might be able to use 200 watts, and the tweeter might only need 5 to 10 watts. The crossover in the speaker will apportion this power. When an amplifier 'clips', it can end up sending 100 watts or more to the tweeter. Clipped amplifiers create high-frequency tones, at high power levels.

I'm only 40 but hearing impaired. I tried not to crank it up too loud but like it at a comfortable level. (thumb)

Good thing it wont clip then. No modern car company designs a radio that can hurt itself at max volume. Only by using a device not tested could you maybe damage it.
Go nuts.

Sent from my LG V10

No modern car company designs a radio, they farm that out to the lowest bidder... That said, any amplifier can and will clip.

Can you imagine if the factory radio could blow speakers? Warranty nightmare. Doesn't happen.

Sent from my LG V10

Gotta prove everything around here...

https://youtu.be/ythKIaQj4U8

There's no way your smartphone recording is good enough for us to hear any clipping. You can chose to ignore reality, we won't suffer the consequences.

Now here's some common-sense questions...
1. Was the source (am? fm? radio) signal loud enough to push the amp to clipping?
2. Would a louder source push the amp into clipping?
3. Have you ever actually heard clipping? (I'm not talking about a tube amp for Jimi Hendix's guitar - I'm talking about a solid-state amp)?
4. Do you have any idea why I asked question 3?

Bonus question for self-reflection:
5. Why are you so upset with this topic?

1 You can't tell? HD Radio
2 Possibly, like a phone or an iPod
3 Yes. Is that an old joke?
4. Cuz I'm old?
5. Upset? Who's upset?

Sent from my LG V10

Well damn so I just pissed away a bunch of money replacing blown factory speakers and the factory head unit? ANY SPEAKER WILL BLOW, ANY AMP CAN BLOW IT

No need to yell bro. You blew the speakers AND HU? Just by cranking it to max? Sounds like maybe something else at play... Maybe the HU shorted, then blew your speakers?
Look...I'm not saying you can't blow speakers. That would be a bit ridiculous. But car companies try hard to ensure that doesn't happen in stock applications (radio, cd). I know a guy that did blow a speaker using the aux. That's much more likely then FM radio doing it.

Sent from my LG V10

Sorry I had to turn the volume up so you could hear it;) .... And no I did not blow the head unit... I replaced the piss-poor POS with one that actually functions properly, and sounds a whole bunch better... I now have a head unit in which the blue tooth actually works every time, the Pandora and any other function that I want to use actually works... And no the factory radio did not short out, it was played too loudly and burned up the voice coils in the speakers... Adding Amps soon so that I can get the sound louder without distortion and thus not blow up the new speakers...

Can you imagine if the factory radio could blow speakers? Warranty nightmare. Doesn't happen.

Sent from my LG V10

it doesn't? Tell me why dealers order and replace speakers once in a while, UNDER WARRANTY, then...

Because people use BT and aux and sometimes s*** just breaks. Its not common.

Sent from my LG V10

Back