NY state drivers will have to start stripping

:
2014 CX-5 GT AWD
NY state passed a law effective 1/1/2017 that you can no longer tint your front passenger and drivers side window of your surburan or crossover vehicle. And if you own a sedan none of the windows can be tinted. If they are you will fail your vehicle inspection. Only if your have medical exemption will you be allowed to do it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gIEd4sHHQ0g&spfreload=10

NY state passed a law effective 1/1/2017 that you can no longer tint your front passenger and drivers side window of your surburan or crossover vehicle. And if you own a sedan none of the windows can be tinted. If they are you will fail your vehicle inspection. Only if your have medical exemption will you be allowed to do it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gIEd4sHHQ0g&spfreload=10

Common sense at long last. Over tinted windows are dangerous in low light. If its sunny, put on your Foster Grants!

None? Zero? That's heavy handed...
Lightly tinted windows aren't dangerous.

None? Zero? That's heavy handed...
Lightly tinted windows aren't dangerous.

NY should pay car owners the cost to strip it down or allow ones tinted before the order. anything else is weird unless they have stats to back up.

What if you have a car with factory tinted glass? BMW Europe has an actual part number for this.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

The rear windows on the CX5 are factory tinted.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

My guess is that it will apply to none factory glass. The front tints that come from the factory would pass anyway.

OP is kind of misleading. It requires 70% transmission. This is a lot, but it's not "no tint"

Looks like the law been in place since 1992. Now it's being enforced through inspections. Presumably side window privacy glass either passes, or NY vehicles aren't sold with it. Note that the rear window is exempt if the car has two side mirrors (which every car today does)

And last but not least... if it doesn't say "passenger car" on the door sticker, this doesn't apply. The CX-5 does not have that mark.

Last edited:
OP is kind of misleading. It requires 70% transmission. This is a lot, but it's not "no tint"

Looks like the law been in place since 1992. Now it's being enforced through inspections. Presumably side window privacy glass either passes, or NY vehicles aren't sold with it. Note that the rear window is exempt if the car has two side mirrors (which every car today does)
And last but not least... if it doesn't say "passenger car" on the door sticker, this doesn't apply. The CX-5 does not have that mark.

agreed, kind of mis-leading, yeah, I lived in NYC before and they actually set up road blocks on side streets or highway entrance ramps once in awhile on slow Saturday or Sunday mornings just to stop vehicles and check tint with the meters. You see cars pulled over once in a while for tint usually a $90 fine or fix-it ticket: you drive your car to the police precinct and show them you removed the tint and they cancel the ticket.

for CUV like the CX-5 that comes with tinted 2nd row and trunk, those are exempt, only the front windshield and two first row windows will be tested. 2017 will be the first year that the tint inspection will be enforced during the annual state inspection, which means you will fail and not get your inspection sticker if you have tints on, if you fail you still have to pay the $35 service charge then go and remove the tint and then go back and get it re-inspected otherwise you can't drive your car unless you have a valid inspection sticker.

The CX-5 front windows already come with some tinting (very very small amount but it's there) so if someone goes to detail shop and ask for 70% tint they will actually fail, because the factory tint will drop it below the 70% allowed.

Question is what about out of towners where their state allows tint, will they be pulled over for tint in NYC while just visiting?

Last edited:
Question is what about out of towners where their state allows tint, will they be pulled over for tint in NYC while just visiting?

It's my understanding that states don't have jurisdiction over cars that are registered in another state, so if you have out-of-state plates, they can't ticket you.

I'm going to run into this problem next year. I'm currently living in the Atlanta area (very very lax tint restrictions), and the particular CX-5 I purchased from a Georgia dealer had front window tints already installed. But I'm moving back to New Jersey as soon as I can sell my house. I have paperwork already filled out for the medical exemption in NJ by my Georgia doctors, but it's going to be a hassle for awhile before I get the medical exemption approved (NJ State Law states that tint must not be applied before getting the medical exemption approved, and they require the vehicle already be registered in the state beforehand, which means I have to go through NJ State Inspection as well).

My guess is that it will apply to none factory glass. The front tints that come from the factory would pass anyway.

I know some police departments in the states use a tint meter to measure the darkness of the tint.

Out here in sunny Arizona such tint laws aren't really executed. In fact both our Mazdas are tinted all the way around. Plus my windshield too. There's almost too much sun down here!! That said if you get pulled over by police I'd roll all my windows down and place hands on steering wheel. Got off with traffic violations that were warnings instead.

I hate this law. I have 20% in the front and 10% in the back and my inspection is due Dec 2017. So if you know anyone who will let it slide under the rug, DM me :)

Common sense at long last. Over tinted windows are dangerous in low light. If its sunny, put on your Foster Grants!

In response this post, Fire chief have under 20% tints, police officers have darker, and unmarked cars are even darker.
The exact wording for enforcing this law was "Tinted windows prevent the necessary eye contact between drivers and pedestrians to ensure safe roadways", not police feel unsafe approaching vehicles, even though its the case. You get pulled over lower ALL your windows to be polite. Forcing mechanics to buy the equipment, spend more time inspecting a car just to fail them for windows, and then make the owner pay to have them removed and in some cases replace the glass is ridiculous. Especially when the governor who announced it gets into a limo tinted SUV surrounded by men with guns to his multi-million dollar home. Hypocrisy.

What's unsafe is assuming you have right of way, regardless of lack of eye contact. I've never almost gotten in an accident because I couldn't tell if someone waved me on or not. Alternatively one could flash the lights signalling right of way. We should write a petition to the state.

I hate this law. I have 20% in the front and 10% in the back and my inspection is due Dec 2017. So if you know anyone who will let it slide under the rug, DM me :)

In response this post, Fire chief have under 20% tints, police officers have darker, and unmarked cars are even darker.
The exact wording for enforcing this law was "Tinted windows prevent the necessary eye contact between drivers and pedestrians to ensure safe roadways", not police feel unsafe approaching vehicles, even though its the case. You get pulled over lower ALL your windows to be polite. Forcing mechanics to buy the equipment, spend more time inspecting a car just to fail them for windows, and then make the owner pay to have them removed and in some cases replace the glass is ridiculous. Especially when the governor who announced it gets into a limo tinted SUV surrounded by men with guns to his multi-million dollar home. Hypocrisy.

What's unsafe is assuming you have right of way, regardless of lack of eye contact. I've never almost gotten in an accident because I couldn't tell if someone waved me on or not. Alternatively one could flash the lights signalling right of way. We should write a petition to the state.

Because in low light you can't see pedestrians, cyclists or even cars and trucks if the side windows have dark tints.

But totally consistent with how New York does things. They want to regulate everything. The one thing they cant control is how many people are moving out. NY is number one in that area

Because in low light you can't see pedestrians, cyclists or even cars and trucks if the side windows have dark tints.

Driving a full year with my tints, many times at night in heavily populated suburbs I have never felt my visibility was compromised. More often than not any potential hazard that I've come across was a simple wave from my windshield away from being thwarted, if that ever fails, the headlight flash is a good alternative. Anyone who doesn't get that should not have a license.

What's a "vehicle inspection"? Sounds like govt overreach. What will they think of next?
It's the annual NYS safety check for vehicles. It's reasonably priced and I find it beneficial, in that they make sure everything is in running order, more so you're not a menace to other folks - one year they caught that one of my turn indicators was not working (who checks their own turn signals?). I am fairly sure that they catch all sorts of things that help protect the vehicle owner and other drivers (e.g..bald tires, faulty breaks). Like anything, there's potential for abuse, if an unscrupulous mechanic wants to screw you over, they may make things up, but I believe that this is less frequent nowadays - I never had any problems with it. Every state I've lived in had it, I'm rather surprised that Kentucky doesn't. It certainly doesn't feel like government overreach to me.

https://dmv.ny.gov/inspection/inspection-requirements

Some states require safety inspections only in specific situations. Alabama and Maryland only require a safety inspection and sticker when a car is sold or transferring ownership in any way. Nebraska only requires an inspection sticker when the vehicle is being transferred from out of state.

In addition to or in place of safety inspections, some states require regular emissions inspections. As of 2014, these states are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin. The District of Colombia also requires emissions inspections biennially.

Some states, such as Colorado, Kentucky, Florida and Wyoming, require a VIN inspection when a vehicle is transferred from out of state.

Some states that do not require any of the previously named inspections include Montana, Alaska, North Dakota and South Dakota.

Back