I hope Mazda did some real good stuff for 2017...

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/cr-v
It's everything the 2014-2016.5 CX-5 wishes it could be. I am jelly!

Oh...and someone on here keeps saying 75mph highway cruising should meet EPA and be a matrice. I guess I nailed that mess again. Damn.

C/D observed 75-mph highway driving: 32 mpg
Within 1mpg of EPA hwy rating...but...drag? How? Honda gets it...honestly rated highway mpg. Just like every other vehicle I've owned. Except this one. /rant

Oh, and it handles and stops better and goes faster than the 2016 CX-5, too. There goes that...

I'd never trade a 2 year old CUV for a new CUV, but if I were buying new, I'd have a hard time picking up the less refined and less capable and less economical CX-5 over the new CRV now that they fixed the back half. I think Mazda's saving grace will be Honda's CVT if they have not squared that thing away, yet.

Still, Mazda needs that 2.2D and 2.5T ASAP!

Last edited:
It's everything the 2012-2016 CRV wishes it was too. Still a Honda, though. Not a fan.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I've seen a guy on the AWD army page I think it was with a dope HRV. Nice wheels and some aftermarket Led tails.

I didn't see anything about handling except what you might extract from the skid pad G figures. There is more to handling then that.

Frank

I didn't like the 2016, but the new CRV is NICE. Might have bought it over the CX-5 if it only had a CD player.

I didn't see anything about handling except what you might extract from the skid pad G figures. There is more to handling then that.

Frank

Could be a starting point stock for stock if wheel and tire size is similiar. Although someone serious about getting good performance would already be considering a wider tire and sporty suspension anyways. Bc racing has coilovers for it already.

Unob, are you a single, middle-aged woman, by chance?
(blah)(blah)(blah)
(laugh)(laugh)

⋯ Oh...and someone on here keeps saying 75mph highway cruising should meet EPA and be a matrice. I guess I nailed that mess again. Damn.

C/D observed 75-mph highway driving: 32 mpg

Within 1mpg of EPA hwy rating...but...drag? How? Honda gets it...honestly rated highway mpg. Just like every other vehicle I've owned. Except this one. /rant
Someone on here? I'd say most people on here ⋯ ;)

And Car and Driver's comment is on a 2017 CR-V AWD!

EPA Fuel Economy Ratings:
MPG Combined/City/Highway
FWDAWD
2017 Honda CR-V 1.5L Turbo30/28/3429/27/33
2016 Mazda CX-5 2.5L29/26/3326/24/29

Still say Mazda really needs to improve the efficiency on its AWD system! 4 mpg penalty for the AWD on the highway is too excessive!

And some people (like me) don't give a rat's ass about mpg.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

And some people (like me) don't give a rat's ass about mpg.
MPG and efficiency have been the major selling points by Mazda since they came out their SkyActiv Technology. "Class-Leading Highway MPG" is often the sales slogan for Mazda's CX-5. If you don't care about MPG but bought a CX-5 then you're missing the Mazda's design philosophy of SkyActiv Technology!

An automotive revolution. Born from a blank slate.
When we decided to create the all-new Mazda CX-5, we knew we had to start from scratch. We wanted a crossover that was not only incredibly versatile, spacious and packed with technology, but also fuel-efficient without sacrificing exceptional driving feel. To make that a reality, we had to come up with a whole new engineering philosophy: SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY. Created over the course of ten years, all of the components of SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY were engineered at the same time so that they work together seamlessly and efficiently. It is the reason why, as you keep up with your busy day, youre enjoying the best highway mpg of any SUVincluding hybrids*while enjoying the best drive as well. Why did we go to such painstaking lengths? Because were Mazda.

Ugly, right down to the fake wood on the dash:
2017-Honda-CR-V-steering-wheel.jpg

Of course, it does convey a sense of nostalgia:
CapriceDash004.jpg

For every review you find where something else came out on top, you can find one where the CX-5 comes out on top. The Honda should be better on fuel consumption as it has that compromised Haldex axle that only engages if it senses slip where the CX-5 has the rear axle contributing to dynamics but I'd much rather have my proper 6 speed auto than a CVT. There is nothing wrong with Hondas, they are good cars and I wouldn't be too disappointed to own one but I'm much happier with mine at the moment. It's a pity unobtainium can't afford to change part contract as he could have gone and trolled the Honda forum instead. It's quite amusing to observe. Not as good as Mike was though.

For every review you find where something else came out on top, you can find one where the CX-5 comes out on top. The Honda should be better on fuel consumption as it has that compromised Haldex axle that only engages if it senses slip where the CX-5 has the rear axle contributing to dynamics but I'd much rather have my proper 6 speed auto than a CVT. There is nothing wrong with Hondas, they are good cars and I wouldn't be too disappointed to own one but I'm much happier with mine at the moment. It's a pity unobtainium can't afford to change part contract as he could have gone and trolled the Honda forum instead. It's quite amusing to observe. Not as good as Mike was though.

It's not about can/can't, it's about the sensibility of buying a cheap vehicle. You don't trade it off every 2 years or it ceases to be cheap.

I'd like to see a CX-5 do mid 7 second 0-60 and get 32mpg doing 75 on the freeway...can you show me that review? Mazda needs to up their game if they want to stay on top of the segment, because as it is, the CRV does literally everything better, of course, we have not seen the 2017 reviews yet, so staying tuned for that.

It's not about can/can't, it's about the sensibility of buying a cheap vehicle. You don't trade it off every 2 years or it ceases to be cheap.

I'd like to see a CX-5 do mid 7 second 0-60 and get 32mpg doing 75 on the freeway...can you show me that review? Mazda needs to up their game if they want to stay on top of the segment, because as it is, the CRV does literally everything better, of course, we have not seen the 2017 reviews yet, so staying tuned for that.

I’m not really sure your expectations are reasonable at this price point. You might have to buy a BMW or Audi. I would like very good fuel consumption but my 2.2 diesel is as fast as I would like it to be. Any faster would be dangerous on a standard CUV.

I’m not really sure your expectations are reasonable at this price point. You might have to buy a BMW or Audi. I would like very good fuel consumption but my 2.2 diesel is as fast as I would like it to be. Any faster would be dangerous on a standard CUV.

My only real complaint is the poor mileage the CX-5 gets on the freeway. Everything else is as I expected, or better. Seems Honda figured out how to make a CUV get good mileage at US touring speeds though.

MPG and efficiency have been the major selling points by Mazda since they came out their SkyActiv Technology. "Class-Leading Highway MPG" is often the sales slogan for Mazda's CX-5. If you don't care about MPG but bought a CX-5 then you're missing the Mazda's design philosophy of SkyActiv Technology!

Really? In my months of research I never once saw anything about "class leading MPG" for the CX5. Maybe I wasn't looking.

Mazda makes cars people love is what I got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5UjmHOl4pU

Mazda makes cars for families is what I got from this, and DRIVING MATTERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgNOQlaZXao

Wait! Finally found one from 2 years ago that mentions MPG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7wEP_kijSM

But, of course, it was that 10 year old kid that always kept Mazda in the back of my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4D3jwSYpEc

Screw MPG and SkyActiv. Zoom Zoom mother f.... :D

Someone on here? I'd say most people on here ⋯ ;)

And Car and Driver's comment is on a 2017 CR-V AWD!

EPA Fuel Economy Ratings:
MPG Combined/City/Highway
FWDAWD
2017 Honda CR-V 1.5L Turbo30/28/3429/27/33
2016 Mazda CX-5 2.5L29/26/3326/24/29

Still say Mazda really needs to improve the efficiency on its AWD system! 4 mpg penalty for the AWD on the highway is too excessive!

The reason is the big difference in displacement. 1.0 is huge. I mean the Skyactiv 2.5l would have better mpgs than a CX-5 with 3.5l engine. Again I know I'm repeating myself but Mazda should've developed a 1.5-2.0 turbo engine. Imagine Honda's turbo 1.5 swapped in a CX-5 chassis mated to a non CVT tranny like umm hey the skyactiv auto tranny (or manual). Add in the Kodo exterior and sleeker interior.

Back