I hope Mazda did some real good stuff for 2017...

LMAO +1

I did back-to-back test drives the CR-V and the CX-5 (the two dealers are next to each other). After driving the CX-5 for 15 minutes, then the CR-V on the exact same route, I walked out of the CR-V to get back to the Mazda dealer to initiate the paperwork.

I've done my homework and research beforehand so I was sitting on the fence, but the obvious differences between the two test drives was the final confirmation. I was a long time Honda driver (two Accords, one Civic), but the CX-5 totally convinced me.

I drove my brothers' CR-V, Pilot, and Venza a few times, they drive like SUV/CUV. The CX-5, I drive it like my old Civic, taking corners and curves like nothing, except that I can't drift in the snow anymore without a manual handbrake.

The new CRV may be better on paper technically but..... this is why you still need to test drive vehicles.

Heated steering wheel and heated rear seats in new CX-5? Although Japanese version does have those, but based on the examples on new 2nd-gen CX-9 last year, I don't think Mazda North American Operations will offer these two features to US customers to save their cost!

Both are part of GT premium pkg

Everybody here says our i-Activ AWD system (or Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive for 2016 MY or prior) is the best in the business! I don't get too much use of it due to the mild winter in our area for the last couple of years. And the only complaint I have to our AWD system is the highway gas mileage is below the EPA highway estimate. Now I saw this post and Mazda seems to have changed something for i-Activ AWD system used in new 2nd-gen CX-9 which makes new CX-9 failed in this diagonal and offroad tests. (uhm)

The video shows the i-ACTIV AWD diagonal and offroad tests were not as expected.
[video=youtube;AhacSO7uMys]i-ACTIV AWD Test: 2017 Mazda CX-9 | Diagonal and Offroad test![/video]

For comparison, here are the CX-3 and CX-5 tests.
[video=youtube;n-uAtG9gCvM]Mazda Cx-3 2016 Awd diagonal test[/video]

[video=youtube;hbFaox-jZ5Y]Mazda Cx-5 GT 2016 - Awd diagonal test [/video]
It seems that more issues are found on i-Activ AWD system in new CX-9.

Uh, we had a major issue yesterday with our 16' CX-9 GT. We're staying up at a resort hotel at the top of a mountain in Maine. During that snowstorm, we encountered a warning 3/4 way up the mountain stating "4WD Heavy Load" - and then the 4WD stopped working, reverting the car to FWD only. We literally had to turn off the car to reset it and turn it back on several times to make it up.

There was a definite "hot" smell coming from under the car - I have to imagine we really stressed the clutch? that controls power to the rear wheels. Very concerned about the longevity of the AWD transmission if something like this causes the system to fail.
wow, that's not good, either the clutch like you said or the front transfer case overheated giving off the burning smell

video also shows the same warning you got below 0:47 seconds mark,

doesn't look like Mazda AWD system can carry the extra weight on the CX-9

Did just that earlier today - dealer appt on Friday morning, and they offered a loaner. Happened again tonight when trying to back into a snow-covered parking spot. Not good.
wait, you said it happened again? on your car or on the loaner ? if the loaner, than it's not an isolated incident, and an inherent design flaw

These 'tests' would be useful, if we all still drove on 'corduroy' roads...

CR-V handles better than cx5. It has more handles in the interior.

It also beat the CX-5 on the MT Figure 8 test, which involves traction (lateral), steering (transition), and delivery of power. It's a pretty telling little test for lower speed maneuverability/handling prowess.

The new CRV may be better on paper technically but..... this is why you still need to test drive vehicles.

It's like the Z06 vs. ZR1. Z06 feels much sportier. ZR1 is much faster/better handling. Or like my friend's BMW passion. His M cars handle bumps like they aren't there, while my Trans Am's back in that day pounded very pebble into submission it felt like.

LMAO +1

I did back-to-back test drives the CR-V and the CX-5 (the two dealers are next to each other). After driving the CX-5 for 15 minutes, then the CR-V on the exact same route, I walked out of the CR-V to get back to the Mazda dealer to initiate the paperwork.

I've done my homework and research beforehand so I was sitting on the fence, but the obvious differences between the two test drives was the final confirmation. I was a long time Honda driver (two Accords, one Civic), but the CX-5 totally convinced me.

I drove my brothers' CR-V, Pilot, and Venza a few times, they drive like SUV/CUV. The CX-5, I drive it like my old Civic, taking corners and curves like nothing, except that I can't drift in the snow anymore without a manual handbrake.

Why not? I've slid around a few corners in my AWD CX5. It's actually pretty fun for what it is, and I don't deny it for a minute. Not why I bought it, but it IS a bonus. One I'd gladly trade for nicer seats, and better highway economy, but it is a bonus.

Latest posts

Back