New MSP owner

NRamsey89

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Well new to the MSP world but not the Mazda world first car was a PGT so yeah, anyways picked up my 2003.5 Saturday. Sadly issues right out of the gate (trying to research on here where I can) drove it the 250 miles home drove fine. Get in it next day will not start at all via key but will push start fine.

Had some mods already on it when bought (copy and pasted list given to me)
Galloway 60mm turbo
Full magnaflow exhaust
External BOV
Manual boost control
Eibach springs and sway arms
STS
Performance clutch and flywheel

Just popping in and saying hey and hoping to find a local group/community too. My production number is 2608 "laser blue" I believe is the color.

So far I've replaced:
Battery
Starter

Still nothing but a small whine just before clicks and positive side battery cable gets pretty warm.

Last edited:
Have you checked the terminals are tight? Any loose grounds that you can see? Damaged wires to the coils, MAF, CMP or CKP sensors? The car needs the cam (CMP), crank (CKP) and MAF sensor inputs to start the engine.
Never heard of a galloway turbo, the stock turbo is a Garrett GT2554R. Callaway designed and built the stock turbo manifold and downpipe, maybe that's what he was thinking of. The stock sway bars and springs are made by Racing Beat, I am not aware of any Eibach sway bars for the Protege. STS may make clutch kits (have not seen them personally) but the only aftermarket flywheels I know of are Fidanza and Spec. And a minor detail but Magnaflow makes a catback but not a full turbo back for the MSP. Post some pictures and we can help you get the parts sorted out.

Going to replace terminals negative feels tight but has some corrosion and positive is still movable when fully tightened.
Damaged wires can't recall off top of head ( presently at work about to get off shift) have every intention when I get home to doublecheck wires and connections. As for companies for aftermarket like I said I just copy and pasted what he sent me. Sway bars are a brighter red color if that helps with anything. On the STS I meant that to be short hand for short throw shifter. Then the next line to be Performance clutch and flywheel.
As for pics I'm having a hard time navigating this site via phone to upload pics but as soon as I figure that out I'll post em. Thanks for clearing some stuff up though.

Going to replace terminals negative feels tight but has some corrosion and positive is still movable when fully tightened.
Damaged wires can't recall off top of head ( presently at work about to get off shift) have every intention when I get home to doublecheck wires and connections. As for companies for aftermarket like I said I just copy and pasted what he sent me. Sway bars are a brighter red color if that helps with anything. On the STS I meant that to be short hand for short throw shifter. Then the next line to be Performance clutch and flywheel.
As for pics I'm having a hard time navigating this site via phone to upload pics but as soon as I figure that out I'll post em. Thanks for clearing some stuff up though.
Are you on facebook Mazda Speed protege enthusiast MSPE?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

You should get the tapatalk app for the fourm it will help with posting pics. But you can also post the in facebook. I think most guys that are still active here are on the facebook page as well. My name is Christopher Olson.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Just got the app, big help thank you!
8e5817414d1ca963ae149b3b699409b6.jpg

481bd71c6256fd43490d36dd209c1b7e.jpg

Here's couple quick shots I've taken thought I had more on phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just a heads up find people that know what they are talking about on the FB groups, plenty of guys on there spreading incorrect information. Some groups are better than others. I try to get on them occasionally but it gets annoying after a while.

Last edited:
So far I've joined MSPE waiting approval of Mazdaspeed Owners group.

Update: car is running.
Culprit: found a faulty engine ground made new one and turned out replacement starter was also shot.

Just wanted to give update seen on a lot of forums in the past people would have issues and never update their thread once fixed. So thanks to those of you who helped me in trying to check things out I appreciated all the input that was given.

Back