No 2017 Manual in the US?!

ecexplorer

:
Potential CX-5 Owner
I've been on the 2016 vs 2017 fence for a while now. Without starting the "which is better" I thought I'd look at what I care about most, and a BIG part of that is mileage. So we know that Mazda is ditching the 2.0L engine for 2017, but what I haven't seen definitive information on is whether or not 2017 CX-5's would be offered with a manual. The closest I've seen was an article (I thought it was on jalopnik, but now I can't seem to find it) saying that the powers-to-be at Mazda were still deciding if it would sell enough in the US. All the articles I've seen mentioning a manual I believe are assuming a manual would exist b/c of it's current availability. All that said, none of the Mazda news content seems to directly indicate a manual for the US.
So amongst my discussions, I'm currently talking to a dealer who has used their "search tool" that produced the following image:
uJl693w

The GM is using this to indicate that there isn't a manual slated for 2017.

Can anyone else verify this?

The manual and 2.0 have always been tied together in NA.

You couldn't get a 2.5 w/ a Manual in 2016, so if the 2.5 is the only engine available in 2017, then it makes sense that the manual option is gone too.

The manual and 2.0 have always been tied together in NA.

You couldn't get a 2.5 w/ a Manual in 2016, so if the 2.5 is the only engine available in 2017, then it makes sense that the manual option is gone too.
While I'd agree Mazda very likely will give up the manual on new CX-5, but eliminating SA-G 2.0L is not the reason. Mazda does have SA-G 2.5L paired with a 6-speed manual in Mazda6. All the emission certifications have been done and paid for.

Mileage in my 16.5 automatic CX5 is better than my CRV automatic. If you want a stick then get a 16 and stop worrying. Should be cheaper anyway.

Everything I've read says there will be a manual in 2017.

If by chance there isn't, then goodby cx-5, hello hr-v!

HRV is a bucket of bolts made in Mexico and Indonesia.

Steering is vague with little feedback. The car rattles off the lot too. Test drive one for yourself. I was shopping for one until I drove it. CX-3 is way better.

Last edited:

Steering is vague with little feedback. The car rattles off the lot too. Test drive one for yourself. I was shopping for one until I drove it. CX-3 is way better.

Mazda CX-3 has that class locked down. No pun intended.

I'll have to drive one and check it out. I need a manual. People seem to like their hr-vs though. I do like hondas...

I had a CRV and it was great. I dismissed the HRV outright after driving it, but to each his own.

I'll have to drive one and check it out. I need a manual. People seem to like their hr-vs though. I do like hondas...

I'd test drive the new civic sport if I were you. 1.5L Turbo with manual. I believe its a hatchback?

Maybe they are planning to release it a little bit later? I remember watching a video about the 2017 CX-5 and Dave Coleman asked the viewers if they would buy a 2.5L manual CX-5... The manual was definitely on the table at that point. I hope that hasn't changed!

Makes sense to use all the production capacity for the automatics which will sell quickly and produce the manual transmission models when things have slowed do a little.
Like what they did with the Mazda 3 2.5L manual. It came a year after the car was released.

I'd test drive the new civic sport if I were you. 1.5L Turbo with manual. I believe its a hatchback?

Those new Civic's are quick!!
Normally my Rav4 V6 eats civics (SI included) for lunch without trying.

But a few months back, the rav4 got surprised off the line by a non SI civic!

Those new Civic's are quick!!
Normally my Rav4 V6 eats civics (SI included) for lunch without trying.

But a few months back, the rav4 got surprised off the line by a non SI civic!

I hope this forces Mazda's hand in developing a 1.5T or 2.0T for the Mazda3 - CX5 lineup "OR" if Skyactiv2 can somehow manage to produce 10 more HP/TQ to 195 then it would be really competitive.

As far as manuals go I'd be really surprised if the CX-5 does not have one. As long as they continue to make Miatas the manual would be in production in some way.

I verified with another dealership, seems no manual for the 2017 CX-5's. Not that this can't change in the future, but it won't be available for 2017 models (verified by two dealerships, one of which reached up to double-check with their representative). I'll have a 2016.5 Manual in my driveway by nightfall! Can't resist the idea of rowing my own gears and (occasionally) getting mid-30's mpg on my highway drive to work.

I verified with another dealership, seems no manual for the 2017 CX-5's. Not that this can't change in the future, but it won't be available for 2017 models (verified by two dealerships, one of which reached up to double-check with their representative). I'll have a 2016.5 Manual in my driveway by nightfall! Can't resist the idea of rowing my own gears and (occasionally) getting mid-30's mpg on my highway drive to work.

Same thing when the Mazda3 2.5 skyactiv came out, auto only. Took a while but they later came out with the 2.5l manual.

Same thing when the Mazda3 2.5 skyactiv came out, auto only. Took a while but they later came out with the 2.5l manual.

fingers crossed.
diesel manual AWD?

In Europe the manual transmission makes the sluggish diesel a lot quicker.

9.4s to 62MPH with the automatic..
8.8s with the manual.

Back