Water Pump

ductman

:
Mazda CX 5 2016
I have 59630 on my 2016 CX 5, noticed a green crusty buildup in the water pump area, no coolant loss at all , took it to the dealer , water pump needs to be replaced, lucky I just made it under the 60k powertrain warranty . Sorry , no picture, tough to snap a picture in that area .

Has been totally trouble free , still have the original brake pads, only thing I have done is replace the tires at around 35k, I just had a drain and fill on the trans at 55k, other than this no issues, yes I drive a lot for my business. This has been the first issue that I have had , luckily it just sneaked in under the powertrain warranty .

A water pump is included in a power train warranty? I'd think that counts as an accessory.

I have 59630 on my 2016 CX 5, noticed a green crusty buildup in the water pump area, no coolant loss at all , took it to the dealer , water pump needs to be replaced, lucky I just made it under the 60k powertrain warranty . Sorry , no picture, tough to snap a picture in that area .
You're lucky if I remember correctly the engine is pulled for that repair.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think that's the 1st gen CX-9 with Ford Duratec V6 engines, that 's a total pain in the a$$, there's a how to thread in CX-9 forum, not for the faint of heart,

CX-5 Skyactiv 4 cylinder water pump should be a piece of cake repair...
Yeah I'm thinking the v6. Still a nice catch getting under warranty.

Yeah I'm thinking the v6. Still a nice catch getting under warranty.

Negative. There is no modern Mazda that requires pulling the engine to replace a water pump. In fact I've never heard of any car that required pulling the engine to replace a water pump. Timing belt on a Ferrari and some other exotics yes, but not a water pump.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

the hardest part of water pump replacement on the CX-5 is letting the engine cool down before you drain the coolant.

Would anyone recommend replacing the serpentine belt at this point since the labor is already there for the water pump, also should I assume I will be receiving all new coolant or only what they have to drain ? And no , looks like they just need to remove the pan underneath and remove it from the bottom.

A water pump is included in a power train warranty? I'd think that counts as an accessory.

I believe it counts because it has gearing that interacts with the engine or some such technicality. I am not 100% sure of the rationale, but it was on my Jeep, too.

Would anyone recommend replacing the serpentine belt at this point since the labor is already there for the water pump, also should I assume I will be receiving all new coolant or only what they have to drain ? And no , looks like they just need to remove the pan underneath and remove it from the bottom.

yes. It's cheap and why wouldn't you?

Negative. There is no modern Mazda that requires pulling the engine to replace a water pump. In fact I've never heard of any car that required pulling the engine to replace a water pump. Timing belt on a Ferrari and some other exotics yes, but not a water pump.
Not on 1st-gen Mazda CX-9. The water pump is sitting in between engine and transaxle. At least some sort of engine lift and separation are required to replace the water pump! See astriuminc's post earlier:

I think that's the 1st gen CX-9 with Ford Duratec V6 engines, that 's a total pain in the a$$, there's a how to thread in CX-9 forum, not for the faint of heart,

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123846339-CX-9-Water-Pump-Replacement&highlight=water+pump

CX-5 should be easier to repair

If you don't DIY, I'd suggest to let your dealer replacing the serpentine belt at the same time. Make sure to check possible leaky belt tensioner too!

I'd request flushing the cooling system and refilling with new Mazda FL-22 engine coolant, no matter if it would be covered under warranty by Mazda or not.

Back