Need recommendation!

TheTangeMan

:
Mazda 3 2010 Hatchback
Hey everybody, I just made a new account because I'm in the market for a Mazda 3. I'm going to be buying one used.

I was curious if anybody has any experience with a very high mileage 3 and what that mileage is. I'm currently looking at a 2010 3s hatchback with 192k miles for $5199. It's only had one owner and the CARFAX looks as if it has been taken care of very well.

I have previously had a '98 Honda Civic that I bought at 126k miles and taken it all the way to 269k miles and I've heard from many people that Hondas typically run into the very high mileages pretty commonly.

I haven't been able to find any information on how often Mazda 3's run into very high mileage range or if they typically become money pits after a certain mileage range. I appreciate any advice or recommendations ahead of time and I look forward to hopefully becoming a new Mazda owner!

There are so many variables... It is hard to give a blanket statement about the reliability...

For what it is worth, I currently own a high mileage 2009 Mazdaspeed3 with over 283,000 miles on it.
Previous owner left the car stock, and changed the oil every 10k with mobil 1 and rotated the tires frequently.
Parts that have been changed are brakepads, tires, batteries, shocks, rubber motor mounts and, rubber suspension bushings.

The best advice I can give is to find a clean car, no accidents, no rustbelt damage, maintained with records, clean carfax.

Next take it to a shop you trust, or dealer to get a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic. I prefer the dealer itself, because they know the things to look for that are common trouble spots. Now if your inspection turned up any issues, problems or suggestions by the mechanic, not only are you more educated, you can now use this info as bargaining leverage to reduce the purchase price of the car.

As with all high-mileage vehicles, a history of maintenance is nice to have. Really, Hondas are no better than Mazdas or Toyotas when it comes to "potential" lifespan. The actual lifespan depends on the frequency of maintenance.

Pretty much everything everyone else has said is 100% accurate. Maintenance is key, as well as doing any sort of preventative parts replacements throughout its life. Since there are a lot of things that can be worn at that point in its life, good service records are super important.

Back