P5 heater core replacement help

:
Mazda protege5
Hey guys I'm still fairly new to the world of proteges and my heater core has been out for over a year now. I finally got the book and have been doing some research but I can't seem to find any help with this at all and the book seems almost useless when I look under my dash. My car is gehtto stripped so the only interior in the car is the dash (minus the glove box) and even with all that done I still can't seem to wrap my head around this heater core any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Sent From Papa Jays Phone

Apparently the entire dash has to be removed to get to it.

Make sure the control wire is connected from the back of the heat dial to the heater core.

Might be a simple fix.

For the heater there's a clip that holds/pulls it back so it can move the heater core on and off through the fan speeds. Ac is similar and easier to get to.
Also the core rarely goes out. You'll know if you get a musty smell from the coolant leaking out.
Just make sure it's clipped in then hooked onto the core dial.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys I was kinda wondering about if the core was really out or not I got one just in case but my antifreeze is always good and I never had the smell

For the heater there's a clip that holds/pulls it back so it can move the heater core on and off through the fan speeds. Ac is similar and easier to get to.
Also the core rarely goes out. You'll know if you get a musty smell from the coolant leaking out.
Just make sure it's clipped in then hooked onto the core dial.
Wow a year and a half of driving to work with three coats on and the Windows cracked so the window didn't fog up all because of this XD
5a2da9544fb445c93fc9aae0e0e829dc.jpg

The clip for the opposite side was also off which would explain why my dash vents never blew air XD

Thanks again you guys all I did was turn those whit pieces where the wires hook up and viola I have heat XD

The climate control cables must be routed "just so" or they put too much force on those clips and then either the cable pops out of the clip or the clip comes off the metal. Either way the cable is then flopping around freely on the attachment point at the white control wheel under the dash which then stops working. The problem is that "just so" includes which holes they go through in the metal frame behind the climate control module. If somebody has worked on the car and then reassembled it with the cables going through the wrong holes the only permanent fix is to disassemble it again and reroute the cables correctly. If you hunt through this forum you may find a post describing the correct geometry.

The climate control cables must be routed "just so" or they put too much force on those clips and then either the cable pops out of the clip or the clip comes off the metal. Either way the cable is then flopping around freely on the attachment point at the white control wheel under the dash which then stops working. The problem is that "just so" includes which holes they go through in the metal frame behind the climate control module. If somebody has worked on the car and then reassembled it with the cables going through the wrong holes the only permanent fix is to disassemble it again and reroute the cables correctly. If you hunt through this forum you may find a post describing the correct geometry.
Thanks I'm planning to do some digging later today and see if I can find some info on where those clips go

Back