Anti lock brakes

Jfunk

:
02 protege5 5spd- wrecked rip. 03 protege5 5spd (parts)
Hey guys. So it just snowed a bunch where i live and the roads are real icy. As a result, my abs brakes kick quite i bit like they should. Along with the normal grinding sound that abs makes, i noticed another sound. It sound like a electric motor or something. At fist i thought it was my stereo because the noise sounds exactly like the motor to eject CDs, but obviously its not. It does not make any sound when normal braking just when abs kicks in. There are no brake lights or anything and there is no difference i braking power. I checked brake fluid, and its not low or anything. This noise started occurring about 30 mins into the drive so im wondering if its just a result of the abs getting a good work out at every stop. I suspect its the abs pump or motor or something but i dont know if i should be worrying about it. Thanks!
Also im going to try and post a video if i can figure out how.

so how do you think the ABS works? some monkey under the car that pumps the brakes for you?
no... it's an electric motor that does that!

He's got a legitimate question and you didn't answer it.

Is it normal for the ABS system to start making additional noise after being heavily used ?? And is that noise symptomatic of a problem or potential failure ??

Whenever my car makes a noise it didn't make before it stirs my concern... A new noise is never a sign of the car running better.

I don't know if that noise should cause concern.
Check on the monkeys and make sure they're well fed and happy.... Perhaps they just got lazy and started squawking about it.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd just ignore it.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

There's plenty of brake and ABS codes to let you know when it's fully broken.

What sucks is that a new ABS head unit is $1,200-$1,400... Possibly more than the car is worth.

Try a wrecker or used online if it comes to it.

I don't believe that a complete ABS failure would cause any problems with your regular brakes but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Back