2017 Cherokee vs 2016.5 CX-5

Streaming sucks? Agreed.

Plug in a nano USB flash drive with all your music. There are solutions.

Last edited:
No HDD, and XM isn't standard :(
Why would it have a HDD?

Edit: I'd rather load all my music up on a nano USB flash drive from my computer which then easily plugs into the USB in my CX-5 center console where I forget about it than trying to transfer music from phone to hard drive via what...the infotainment screen?

Really not following that train of thought, Uno.

(scratch)

Last edited:
Why would it have a HDD?

Because without that, or XM, the only thing you have left is pairing the phone, or plugging it in. Plugging it in works pretty well, but I have found the pairing to be a real PITA, both with my S4, and then my S8. It takes forever, it's glitchy, it sometimes unpairs, so on and so forth. I miss most of all getting in the vehicle, XM boots up, and I have music until I shut the car off. No muss, no fuss. This new trend among budget manufacturers of "pairing devices" and burning my dataplan and all that is just crap, IMO. Further, I don't even have cell signal in my area, so there is nada until I'm miles from home.

Because without that, or XM, the only thing you have left is pairing the phone, or plugging it in. Plugging it in works pretty well, but I have found the pairing to be a real PITA, both with my S4, and then my S8. It takes forever, it's glitchy, it sometimes unpairs, so on and so forth. I miss most of all getting in the vehicle, XM boots up, and I have music until I shut the car off. No muss, no fuss. This new trend among budget manufacturers of "pairing devices" and burning my dataplan and all that is just crap, IMO. Further, I don't even have cell signal in my area, so there is nada until I'm miles from home.
I don't know anything about XM. But for the rest, still not following how a hard drive helps anything.

(See edits in above post)

Well cough up the $10 a month for Spotfiy then. You can download hours of playlists.

I don't know anything about XM. But for the rest, still not following how a hard drive helps anything.

(See edits in above post)
Missed your post: it doesn't. Hard drives in cars was big 10 years ago. My coworker has one. You have to load it....from a USB drive. Car companies figured "why are we making then do that? Just play it off the USB!"
I have zero problems in my car streaming my 20 gigs of music off my phone.
Or using Spotify.
Or Pandora.
Or Hoopla which also let's you download. Free.

Well cough up the $10 a month for Spotfiy then. You can download hours of playlists.

I'd still muck around with having to DL it, transport it, etc. instead of it being totally instant gratification. And why can't anyone else do color weather radar? I miss that feature, too. I just need to cough up for an RS3 and be done with it, to be honest.

Missed your post: it doesn't. Hard drives in cars was big 10 years ago. My coworker has one. You have to load it....from a USB drive. Car companies figured "why are we making then do that? Just play it off the USB!"
I have zero problems in my car streaming my 20 gigs of music off my phone.
Or using Spotify.
Or Pandora.
Or Hoopla which also let's you download. Free.

Streaming sucks though. I live remote. No signal. Also, Mazda pairing is glitchy AF.

Does a Sport have updates for the radio? My pairing isn't glitchy at all. Surprised yours is with a newer phone.

Does a Sport have updates for the radio? My pairing isn't glitchy at all. Surprised yours is with a newer phone.

Yeah, it's annoying as hell. I'm tempted to buy a decent head unit with real NAV and XM and I think I'd be a lot happier, in fact, this thread has convinced me of it!

I won't buy another car without SiriusXM radio. The CX-5 GT has it. That's one of many reasons why I only considered the GT trim. Some competitors offer it in the middle trims though.

SiriusXM traffic is pretty useful if you live in one of its coverage areas. It's not as accurate or up to date as Google Maps or Waze, but most of the time it's good enough. I wish Mazda offered it. Even if it was just displayed on the map and not factored into the nav's routing, it would still be 10x more useful than the HD radio traffic app.

The SiriusXM weather and Travel Link isn't that useful IMO. It's the kind of thing you're only going to use while stopped, and if you're stopped you can get much more & better information using your phone. The weather radar is static, for example. That said, we had my wife's van loaded up with family last summer and we were about to stop for a hike when the Uconnect system alerted us to a severe thunderstorm warning. We changed plans and stayed dry. If not for that warning, we might have gone ahead and gotten soaked. But most people can get the same warnings on their phone.

I won't buy another car without SiriusXM radio. The CX-5 GT has it. That's one of many reasons why I only considered the GT trim. Some competitors offer it in the middle trims though.

SiriusXM traffic is pretty useful if you live in one of its coverage areas. It's not as accurate or up to date as Google Maps or Waze, but most of the time it's good enough. I wish Mazda offered it. Even if it was just displayed on the map and not factored into the nav's routing, it would still be 10x more useful than the HD radio traffic app.

The SiriusXM weather and Travel Link isn't that useful IMO. It's the kind of thing you're only going to use while stopped, and if you're stopped you can get much more & better information using your phone. The weather radar is static, for example. That said, we had my wife's van loaded up with family last summer and we were about to stop for a hike when the Uconnect system alerted us to a severe thunderstorm warning. We changed plans and stayed dry. If not for that warning, we might have gone ahead and gotten soaked. But most people can get the same warnings on their phone.

My weather wasn't static. Constantly moving color radar. I loved it. More of a sports-car thing though so you can avoid heavy rain, etc.

I guess I am a luddite in some ways. I'm just bitter about no XM.

I don't even know how to download it. I'm from the Limewire generation, lol. Why can't the car just have it? XM.

Right, so it sounds like this is a you problem. Not a CX-5 problem, minus the lack of XM I suppose. (I still don't know what XM is)

Look, I get it. I was still using CD's in my CX-5 up until a year ago, till I figured out I could just load all my music up on a tiny USB flash drive and plug it into the CX-5 and forget it. Only problem is I probably need to get it fixed to load my folders properly (I believe there is a TSB), but otherwise, works great.

If I owned a Sport, no question I would put in a headunit. I would replace my own headunit even though I seem to be a 1% that doesn't hate my Infotainment. A friend of mine is a car audio enthusiast and he puts in the most amazing systems. He always wants to do my cars but I always have reasons not to.

I don't even know how to download it. I'm from the Limewire generation, lol. Why can't the car just have it? XM.

Cause everyone would want something different.

Download what? Your music? It's not difficult. Your phone, any mp3 player, any usb storage device will do what a "hard drive" will do for you.

Spotfiy, specifically. It's so easy. Create a playlist: Unobmusicum.
Couple ways to add to it. You can search tracks and add them. Or find a genre when you do have signal or wifi. Then just add to playlist anytime a song comes in you like. Then go to playlist and hit download. You can even just pick a genre and it will mix music onto your device for you.
Putting your limewire music on is easier still. Connect phone to PC. Synch with Media Player.
Or just use a stick. [emoji16]

Last edited:
Back