2017 Cherokee vs 2016.5 CX-5

Actually Jeep was acquired by Chrysler with the AMC acquisition in 1987.

I loved my 93 Grand cherokee. First year Chrysler owned jeep, but even though all new an AMC product still. All issues i had were fixed under warranty and it was a beast in the snow. Driving in 12”- 18” snow and passing all kinds of abandoned vehicles in one blizzard around ‘97 convinced a few neighbors to get one. Parents and sister loved theors too.

Love the new Cherokee, though! Can't wait to see some reviews of it. Have you seen this yet? As I often say, I am superficial.
f0b638b376289088233a3c9af713b4fd.jpg

What year Maxima did you have? Last made in Japan were the 2003 models.

Any FCA product is complete garbage.

speaking of Maxima's, I actually have a 1995 model with the 5 speed manual transmission. It is a great car.

Personally not a fan of the new Cherokees. I get that they are just regular SUV's now. But my mind will always view the Cherokee branding as what it used to be with it's off road capabilities. I would love to see one of these new ones in Moab vs. and old Cherokee. Not even the same thing anymore.

I grew up with Jeeps, what can I say? (lol)

My friend wanted a 3 row and was looking for Pathfinder. I told him this is how I rank makes and models based on budget
1. MZD TOYOTA (NO HONDA CAUSE BLIND DESIGNERS)
2. Used Acura / Lexus - for Acura research on model reliability history is a must.
3. Korean time.
3.5 Misubisi - I have a soft spot for Outlander (spin)
4. Ford / CPO Lincolns- again model reliability research and correct engine / trans option
5. Nissan. Buy new at 20% off and sell before 60K-70K miles
6. Anything quirky that i research and like - Element, TSX wagon at right price or even an EV if it works for me.

I wont buy FCA / Chevy

My friend ended up with VW Atlas. That thing is huge. Its interior volume might be 15% more than CX-9. 38 OTD along with Forester trade in 18.5 (2015 mid to top trim) - 2K savings on tax.
Still 38 bean bags is too much hot potato for an Atlas.

Last edited:
Had a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk and loved it at first.
After many trips to the shop (air cond, elecronic parking brake freezing, and too many transmission updates to count) I traded it in on my 2016 CX-5 Touring.
I liked the Jeeps ride, interior, infotainment and of course off road capability.
The (at the time) new ZF - 9 speed transmission made for horrible driveability.
Numerous recalls could not make that thing downshift or upshift reliably
Many horror stories in the Jeep forum of owners having transmissions replaced multiple times in order to get one that shifted properly.
Each time I brought it in for tranmission complaints they said "operating as designed"
Made my extended warranty basically worthless - at least I was able to get a prorated refund on that.....
I see on carcomplaints.com that transmission issues still generate the most complaints on the 2016s.
I considered trading up to a Grand Cherokee but I believe they also started using the ZF (8 speed) in 2014 as well.
Carcomplaints also show transmission issues on the GC as the most common complaint starting in 2014.

No more FCA products for me thank you very much

I don't like the infotainment on th Jeep. It's too FAR. You have to reach for it. Bad deign IMO.

After many trips to the shop (air cond, elecronic parking brake freezing, and too many transmission updates to count) I traded it in on my 2016 CX-5 Touring.
I liked the Jeeps ride, interior, infotainment and of course off road capability.
Many horror stories in the Jeep forum of owners having transmissions replaced multiple times in order to get one that shifted properly.
Each time I brought it in for tranmission complaints they said "operating as designed"
Made my extended warranty basically worthless - at least I was able to get a prorated refund on that.....
I see on carcomplaints.com that transmission issues still generate the most complaints on the 2016s.
I considered trading up to a Grand Cherokee but I believe they also started using the ZF (8 speed) in 2014 as well.
Carcomplaints also show transmission issues on the GC as the most common complaint starting in 2014.

Never owned a Jeep but I do like their designs. The Wranglers especially. I also like Challengers for their design and no frills power.

How's your CX-5 holding up in comparison to your experience with Jeep?

I mentioned before i had a 93 Jeep grand cherokee and loved, but nothing they made has pulled me back. I thought the quality was decent in the past, but it appears to have dropped since moving to Fiat group. I really wanted to love the Cherokee Trailhawk as I find the Grand Cherokee to big and the interior space not welled laid out. But the Cherokee just can't win me over. Looks are good from some angles and bizarre from others. Then the CVT and other design choices and I just stopped looking.

I still want to love the Jeeps, but they really need to get better.

Never owned a Jeep but I do like their designs. The Wranglers especially. I also like Challengers for their design and no frills power.

Not OP, but my CX5 is holding up VERY WELL compared to my 2010 JGC.

Much better

CX-5
36000 miles
Broken center console latch - twice
Broken sunvisor latch - twice
All covered under warranty - guess i must have a heavy hand ;-)

Traded my Cherokee in at 25000 miles
Was in the shop 8 times for maintenence
3 times requiring a loaner car (covered by ext warranty)
1 time left me stranded and had to be towed because electronic parking break shorted out.
Module was located below the spare time and someone left a seam uncaulked/sealed during assembly allowing moisture instrusion, shorting out the module

Back