2017 Cherokee vs 2016.5 CX-5

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
Mother in law left her brand new Jeep in my driveway while she went out of town. 2nd time she's done this. The 1st time, I drove it daily. I wanted to see if I should have gotten the Jeep. (Spoiler, no).
This time? It hasn't even moved. Sorry, ma! I know you like when I drive your car! Just not interested. Pics shortly.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Yeah curious to see your thoughts. I had briefly considered the Cherokee when shopping. CX5 drove like a sports car compared to the cherokee.

We also looked briefly at the Cherokee, but liked the Mazda much better.......that, and the thought of owning TWO FCA products was just too much to bear......(help)

Sam

Ha... says the guy who created the "what do you LOVE about the CX-5" thread.

All joking aside, Cherokee - no thanks. Grand Cherokee - yes please.

They make different models for different people, but I would never consider buying a vehicle not made in Japan or Canada. I own an extremely reliable Yamaha bike too and have ridden nothing but Kawasaki's, Honda car & bike, Toyotas and Nissans for the last 15 years. My Maxima gave me a few headaches believe it or not. Toyota makes a great Highlander. Love the 16.5 CX-5 too. Currently get 26.5 mpg in the Mazda, highest ever in a 4 wheel vehicle.

The Trailhawk Cherokee was probably my 2nd favorite SUV out of all of them. I would never get the Jeep though because of the bad history of them. I've yet to meet a person who has owned a Jeep that didn't regret it or that didn't tell others to not buy a Jeep.

The Trailhawk Cherokee was probably my 2nd favorite SUV out of all of them. I would never get the Jeep though because of the bad history of them. I've yet to meet a person who has owned a Jeep that didn't regret it or that didn't tell others to not buy a Jeep.

And it makes me so angry. I LOVED MY JEEP...but she break. A LOT! I loved the styling, the luxury, the power, on and on and on...but the repair times/cost would have been astronomical without a 5/100 warranty, and when it was out, I got rid of it. So sad that Chrysler won't make all of their vehicles as solidly as their SRT lineup, which oddly, I have never heard of anyone having any issues with, including the neon.

They make different models for different people, but I would never consider buying a vehicle not made in Japan or Canada. I own an extremely reliable Yamaha bike too and have ridden nothing but Kawasaki's, Honda car & bike, Toyotas and Nissans for the last 15 years. My Maxima gave me a few headaches believe it or not. Toyota makes a great Highlander. Love the 16.5 CX-5 too. Currently get 26.5 mpg in the Mazda, highest ever in a 4 wheel vehicle.

The Bowling Green corvette plant in Kentucky changed how I felt about labor union workers, etc. I used to have a "SCREW THEM" attitude, also. Then I bought a Z06 and watched them build it, and got to meet the people that did. I was thanked profusely and sincerely (unsolicited, people walking up to me in the plant cafeteria, etc.) for "buying one of our cars and keeping us working". Those were some salt of the earth people and I got to meet nearly each one of them that put their hands on my vehicle. They loved their job, they took pride in their job, and they took pride in building it for me. I even looked over my shoulder as they built other corvettes after I had walked on following mine. They seemed to show the same pride, even when I was several hundred feet away and they were engrossed in the vehicle in front of them.

Anyway, actually putting boots on the concrete at BG really changed my tune about how I viewed the people who build our cars here in America. I think a lot of the issue I have had with Chrysler is due to sub-standard MATERIALS, not sub-standard people. The person who installed my front control arms didn't somehow "carelessly rot the bushings out". That's just due to crap parts and bargain basement beancounter types who buy them. Not the worker who built my vehicle.

My point is, if you can, please visit an American auto factory. It may well change how you feel about those types.

I've seen some rumors that Jeep Grand Wagoneer Model (gone since '91) could be in +100K range

2019-Jeep-Grand-Wagoneer-exterior.jpg

2018-jeep-grand-wagoneer-diesel-2019-jeep-woody-configuration.jpg

Always had a thing for the old ones even if they weren't the best looking rig.

⋯ Always had a thing for the old ones even if they weren't the best looking rig.
The old 44 Jeep Station Wagon is my favorite Jeep like this green one seen in《It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World》 movie driven by Lt. Col. Algernon Hawthorne (Terry-Thomas)

playlist020110719161846.4319.jpg

What year Maxima did you have? Last made in Japan were the 2003 models.
2001. It ate batteries, had a trans sensor go bad and then the a/c condensor went after 6 or 7 years. I bought it brand new and only put 80k on it. I sold it to a Haitian.

Last edited:
2001. It ate batteries, had a trans sensor go bad and then the a/c codensor went after 6 or 7 years. I bought it brand new and only put 80k on it. I sold it to a Haitian.

You are lucky the IAC valve didn't go out on that VQ30DE. Those usually took the engine ECU out.

Only thing that went out on mine (2002 GLE- (miss my heated steering wheel)) was an O2 sensor and a cam position sensor throughout the years. I bought new and sold in '14 with around 130K miles. Fortunately it wasn't plagued with high oil consumption like most early VQ35DE motors. Rumors ranged from bad rings to broken pre-cat getting sucked back into the motor as the cause.

I won't buy another Nissan after their flagship was not that reliable. I had the best luck with Hondas and Toyotas. This CX5 is my first Mazda, although I bought my first wife an MX3 with a 1.8L V6.

I'd probably pass on Nissan myself. My '07 G35x sedan is still a fun car for me but had I not had an extended warranty it would have cost me an extra $7K in repairs. Knock on wood but it has been solid for a couple years now and at 10 years old next month I'm not so worried about it any longer.

Certainly not the fastest car by far but 5.4 seconds to 60 & 14.1 quarter mile at 100MPH is fast enough for me. I never timed it myself but that is what Car and Driver beat out of it.

RE: The bendy lines in the reverse camera and the rear parking sensors.
I HATE THEM BOTH! Gawd, after getting used to the straight lines on the Mazda I despise the bendy ones on the Jeep. And the stupid rear park assist sensors. UGH. Constantly going off when nothing is there.

I do love the heated steering wheel, though. :D

The old 44 Jeep Station Wagon is my favorite Jeep like this green one seen in《It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World》 movie driven by Lt. Col. Algernon Hawthorne (Terry-Thomas)

playlist020110719161846.4319.jpg

The Willys!! We had one when I was a kid. It was a blast!

But how can anyone even THINK about FCA Jeep vs. Mazda? No contest, by ANY standard.

The Willy’s Jeeps were the real thing. Today’s version by Fiat is just a shadow. Jeep really has never been the same after being tossed around like a hot potato with American Motors, Chrysler and the rest of the ownerships.

So no, Mazda is not a suv and it should not be compared to one. It’s a crossover and a very good one at that.

And it makes me so angry. I LOVED MY JEEP...but she break. A LOT! I loved the styling, the luxury, the power, on and on and on...but the repair times/cost would have been astronomical without a 5/100 warranty, and when it was out, I got rid of it. So sad that Chrysler won't make all of their vehicles as solidly as their SRT lineup, which oddly, I have never heard of anyone having any issues with, including the neon.

Quick story about an SRT Cherokee... I was working for a Dodge Chrysler Jeep Dealership as part of the management group. Because of my location at the drop yard for all incoming new vehicles, it was my responsibility to check in all the new vehicles and deliver the HP vehicles to the lot that was about 5 miles away with a 1 mile hill that was basically a straight shot. So the SRT Jeep needed delivery, and i wanted to see what the vehicle was all about. So i started up the hill, cleared the last intersection and put my foot into it. Rpms rising and getting to the shift point and....pingpingping pingping ping pingpingping sputter sputter and dead. Drifted off to the side of the road, 4 ways on, looked in the rearview mirror expecting to see a trail of parts on the ground, nothing.

So we called a flatbed in to haul it away, and our mechanics opened her up to see what happened. Threw a wrist pin, and munched the motor. This was a bench tested motor. Drove it about 3/4 of a mile and blew it up. Before anyone decides to jump on me for blowing that motor, virtually every customer or sales person that gets in one of those, that is exactly what they do too. If you are laying down $50K plus on something like that, you want to know what you are getting for your money. On top of that, I triggered a National TSB.

I loved my 93 Grand cherokee. First year Chrysler owned jeep, but even though all new an AMC product still. All issues i had were fixed under warranty and it was a beast in the snow. Driving in 12- 18 snow and passing all kinds of abandoned vehicles in one blizzard around 97 convinced a few neighbors to get one. Parents and sister loved theors too.

I ordered it from the factory with manual transmission, and would have bought another if they had still offered manual trans. 125k miles, 10 years and original clutch, engine and drive train, it did as well as any other vehicle i owned. I sold it still running great with only some seeping of rear engine oil seal.

Wifes 2007 Lexus RX needed rear wheel bearings, steering rack, and water pump before 80k miles. I dont consider all Lexus bad, but some cars have issues.

Back