2017 Cherokee vs 2016.5 CX-5

But it sort of does. I know, I know... it's not a race car but I'll be damned driving them back to back... the CX5 feels surprisingly quicker from a stop.

Put it in Sports Mode today. Made it much more engaging.
Also, pro to the Jeep: when you turn the key off everything remains powered until you open the door. Have they added this on the newer CX5?
And the stupid backup sensor? This Jeep reminds me why I'm still so glad to not have it. The constant false positives. And if you don't like the Mazda backup camera you will hate the Jeeps. WAY worse then ours.
https://youtu.be/ZMTg43C98So

Although the Jeeps sensors might just not be good. I have sensors (only) in the Volvo and it doesn't behave like that. Still....firm believer you only need one or the other, not both.

Mazda Appreciation Week. 3 or 5?!?
Got the Jeep again this week. I'm driving it while wife drives the CX5. We let her car snuggle in the garage this week.
Even the wife hates it. My car was low on gas so she took the Jeep. Calls me from the road:
"I am so glad you got that Mazda. I hate this car! How do I turn the station on the radio, I can't even find the radio button!" (In Jeeps defense it's not that hard to find) "And where the hell do you turn the heated seat off? I am cooking here! It is way to hot!" (And she's right, although I don't consider it a con... heats up fast and very hot...even on low but you can't leave it on) "And it drives like a damn bus!" (for those of you saying the CX5 doesn't handle any better then the other crossovers...looking at you Unobtanium... even my wife noticed it).
One of the issues I have with it though is EVERYTHING is on the screen. The only buttons not on the screen are the manual climate control fan and heat / cool buttons. TO change the vents to dash only or whatever takes 3 clicks on the damn screen. Man, I SO appreciate proper buttons for heated seats and heat / AC. So thank you Mazda!

Did find something new this week that some of you would like. As you know if you've read my novel here, the Jeep has bendy lines for the backup camera. Poking around in the settings today, and to Jeeps credit there are a ton of settings, and I found you can set bendy lines or straight lines if you prefer. You can even have them both on if you want.

Got the Jeep again this week. I'm driving it while wife drives the CX5. We let her car snuggle in the garage this week.
Even the wife hates it. My car was low on gas so she took the Jeep. Calls me from the road:
"I am so glad you got that Mazda. I hate this car! How do I turn the station on the radio, I can't even find the radio button!" (In Jeeps defense it's not that hard to find) "And where the hell do you turn the heated seat off? I am cooking here! It is way to hot!" (And she's right, although I don't consider it a con... heats up fast and very hot...even on low but you can't leave it on) "And it drives like a damn bus!" (for those of you saying the CX5 doesn't handle any better then the other crossovers...looking at you Unobtanium... even my wife noticed it).
One of the issues I have with it though is EVERYTHING is on the screen. The only buttons not on the screen are the manual climate control fan and heat / cool buttons. TO change the vents to dash only or whatever takes 3 clicks on the damn screen. Man, I SO appreciate proper buttons for heated seats and heat / AC. So thank you Mazda!

Did find something new this week that some of you would like. As you know if you've read my novel here, the Jeep has bendy lines for the backup camera. Poking around in the settings today, and to Jeeps credit there are a ton of settings, and I found you can set bendy lines or straight lines if you prefer. You can even have them both on if you want.

That's kinda cool that it has that option.

Yeah, I mean my 1998 JGC had some awesome heated seats, and I agree about the steering wheel controls. I had those on my 1998 where the volume and channel change buttons were in the back of the wheel. Very intuitive.

It was also a V8, so power wise, apples to oranges here.

Reeeeaaaccchhh!
Seriously I cannot reach the top right corner with out leaning forward.
2540a1cbb5cc15a862401e214ea63dca.jpg

Commander knob ftw!!!

On a side note, would really suck if my next car has no BSM nor Commander knob.

I think all new cars have blind spot monitoring these days don't they?

As for a commander knob, I wouldn't mind having one, but the old school part of me likes having an actual hand parking brake.

As for a commander knob, I wouldn't mind having one, but the old school part of me likes having an actual hand parking brake.

Not as standard. Can be as much as $1000 extra.

The Vision Package on a Volvo is $1,100: BSM, Retractable mirrors, Cross Traffic Alert, Auto dimming mirrors + park assist (parallel parks for you).

Eh, thats the difference between perception and reality. I feel like the miata doesnt handle for s*** because kt wallows all over the place, but the numbers and track wins say otherwise.

Yeah, the electronic parking brake is clownshoes, although i will say the screen (i cant call it an infotainment system any more than i can call a calculator a computer anymore) in my cx5 is so s*** i just ignore it.

I don't hate Mazdas RADIO it I do hate the term: infotainment. Like to meet the dude that coined that phrase. Oh and "Cloud" too, for storage on the internet.

Eh, thats the difference between perception and reality. I feel like the miata doesnt handle for s*** because kt wallows all over the place, but the numbers and track wins say otherwise.
Perception being the more important factor. On paper the Mazda shouldn't be any more fun to drive then the Jeep. It is.
On paper, the Miata looks kind of slow and boring. It's not. So I've heard. Never driven one.

Its not boring, it def does handle but the feel of that handling isn't for everyone including me which is why i prefer the brz and its flatter, cut the ass end loose at will setup. 240 na horses, fix that tq curve and its pure cheap fun platinum.

Back