Cam repair question.

:
02 protege5 ES 5dr
So, I have a set of the MSP cams waiting for install. Seems either my storage or removal may have been a bit rough. I have a small portion cracked off the lip next the valve cover/cam gears.

I have thought about using a high heat epoxy to rebuild the damaged portion, then I realized about the last thing on the planet I want to do is clean epoxy from my oil galleries.

Er, so. Is It possible to have them repaired in another fashion ? its not the lobes them self's damaged rather the oil wipple.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

So, I have a set of the MSP cams waiting for install. Seems either my storage or removal may have been a bit rough. I have a small portion cracked off the lip next the valve cover/cam gears.

I have thought about using a high heat epoxy to rebuild the damaged portion, then I realized about the last thing on the planet I want to do is clean epoxy from my oil galleries.

Er, so. Is It possible to have them repaired in another fashion ? its not the lobes them self's damaged rather the oil wipple.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
Do you need to run them? I'm pretty sure they're identical to stock p5 cams.

well, to cut and paste this thread:

FSD7 intake cam:
Adv. Lift: 0.3405"
Valve Lift: ≈ 0.3305"
Adv. Duration: 230 @ 0.003"
Duration: 198 @ 0.050"
Open: 2 BTDC
Close: 48 ABDC

FSD7 exhaust cam:
Adv. Lift: 0.3218"
Valve Lift: ≈ 0.3118"
Adv. Duration: 230 @ 0.003"
Duration: 200 @ 0.050"
Open: 48 BBDC
Close: 2 ATDC
Overlap: 4

FSH9 intake cam:
Adv. Duration: 241 @ 0.003"
Duration: 210 @ 0.050"
Open: 5 BTDC
Closed: 56 ABDC

FS9P exhaust cam:
Adv. Duration: 241 @ 0.003"
Duration: 210 @ 0.050"
Open: 48.5 BBDC
Close: 12.5 ATDC
Overlap: 17.5

So marginal gains in the durations i believe. Unless I am completely mistaken.

It is the exhaust side cam I've damaged. I know the corksport one is a replacement option for me. Just trying to be frugal ( lol ).

Any thoughts ?

Do you need to run them?

And no, i don't need to need to. I am however pulling apart the timing belt cover and replacing the timing belt ( maybe ) and the tensioner spring for sure. Also need to replace the timing cover, I didn't last time and it has been festering in me how much garbage must be weeping in. So I figured while I was there I would give myself a reason to be doing it other than fixing an earlier "should have done it right" job. Hehe.

I am not sure about a weld fix for it. I don't want to warp it like a bow.

that thread is garbage... full of inaccuracies
don't waste your time... your P5 has the same exact cams as the MSP

you want accurate info? click the link in my sig

.... I am however pulling apart the timing belt cover and replacing the timing belt ( maybe ) and the tensioner spring for sure. Also need to replace the timing cover, I didn't last time and it has been festering in me how much garbage must be weeping in. So I figured while I was there I would give myself a reason to be doing it other than fixing an earlier "should have done it right" job. Hehe...

I think you should consider getting the entire T-belt kit.
It would suck to replace your belt and spring then have your water pump spring a leak two weeks later.

It's not too much money and you'll sleep better knowing it's all taken care of.

Hi and thanks for all the advice, I did change the water pump, pulleys,oil seal and gaskets last time I did the timing belt, I rushed the install and spread the tensionor when I slapped it together.

So I have managed to correct my crap mechanical work this weekend. Set the timing and tensionor correctly, and took her for a 600k test drive to the provincial capital ( to pick up another cf hood lol cause one isn't enough ) .

TheMAN, sorry for referencing that article, if I took the time to scroll down I would have seen your post from 9 years ago stating the nature of the posts inaccuracies. Thank you for all the information you have provided and the time spent curating it all. PCB as well thanks a ton for the diagrams, lol so much help. thanks to you both and other members of course I have been able to keep my p5 ( josophine lol) running.

As far as cams go I guess I will post a wanted to buy on the market place.

Side question, at what point does a person start a build thread? I've been hoarding parts for a bit over a year, and wouldn't mind making a decent stab at a moderately powered NA build. It would seem I have committed to protg ownership to a degree that baffles my friends and family lol. But I suspect I don't need to explain this to you all.

Back