Rodents Damaging Engine

cx5owner123

:
CX5
Has anyone had an issues with this? I bought my 2016 Cx5 in September and since then rodents have chewed the engine wires twice, the last time so badly that I have $1500 worth of damage that is not covered by the warranty. I've seen lots of people are having similar issues with Honda's and Toyota's. Please let me know if so and if you've been able to do anything to successfully keep them away.

Get some cats from the local shelter and make them outside cats

Has anyone had an issues with this? I bought my 2016 Cx5 in September and since then rodents have chewed the engine wires twice, the last time so badly that I have $1500 worth of damage that is not covered by the warranty. I've seen lots of people are having similar issues with Honda's and Toyota's. Please let me know if so and if you've been able to do anything to successfully keep them away.

Is your CX-5 garaged? If so, it's time to put a LOT of mouse traps in your garage. I store my motorcycle in my garage for the winter and I place a circle of traps around it. That seems to keep the lil critters away from my bike. If you google this issue you'll see a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests that fabric softener sheets will keep mice away. I don't think they work at all. But your car will smell nice.

Google peppermint oil and draw your own conclusions. Now that stuff smells good!

Last edited:
Get some peppermint extract and spray it around your engine compartment...they hate the stuff

This has happened to both my CX-5s about 2 years ago. Rodents must have nested under the plastic cover and chewed lots of insulation on the cables and around. I mended both by myself taping over the damaged insulation. It still holds fine.

How to get rid of them? Tough to say. Where is this taking place? Garage/outdoors?

1. Get a cat.
2. Remove plastic engine cover permanently - I think it keeps the warmth much longer & provides hiding spot.
3. Check daily for rodents.

I had a 2003 G35 that this happened to. The even cut a wire to the AC compressor that I traced the open circuit to a spot under the battery where they went nuts.

Mice here. Last round, they decided the sound absorber under the engine cover would make good nest material.
I ripped what was left of the fabric off the cover backside, vacuumed several handfuls of nest, and taped up
chewed coil wires.
I wonder if vegetable oil is being used in the production of the plastic wire insulation - they seem to like it.

Chipping in here, apologies if offending anyone.... I have an insect problem, specifically ants, where the insects absolutely love electronics to a point that on another vehicle they went into the key ignition and died in there and the "ant acid decay" rendered the copper contacts inoperable and useless, had to replace the ignition twice. Now it also seems that they love the CX-5 water bottles and weather strips around the doors for hatcheries. Currently spraying pesticide weekly around wheels and arches after washing but they still seem to find a way to nest in my CX-5 and other vehicles....

Chipping in here, apologies if offending anyone.... I have an insect problem, specifically ants, where the insects absolutely love electronics to a point that on another vehicle they went into the key ignition and died in there and the "ant acid decay" rendered the copper contacts inoperable and useless, had to replace the ignition twice. Now it also seems that they love the CX-5 water bottles and weather strips around the doors for hatcheries. Currently spraying pesticide weekly around wheels and arches after washing but they still seem to find a way to nest in my CX-5 and other vehicles....

During the summer here I have scorpions around my community, yard, and they even get in the house. I use a product called CyKick ordered online to kill them and anything...I mean any bug that moves. Yet is approved for indoor commercial kitchens and isn't harmful to pets.

Have you looked into the type of ant killing products that doesn't kill the ants right away but the ants carry back to their nests and it kills the lot of them when they share it with the colony? We had issues with carpenter ants and used this type of ant killer. Worked great!

Thanks for the info. I am currently trying out a local product called DyNest, similar to cyKick. Hopefully that will destroy any existing ants colony .....

Back