No ground cable?

polno

:
mazda protege dx 03
I pulled my transmission to replace the clutch. I don't remember pulling a ground off the trans. And I can't find one to put back on either. Does that ground run from battery to transmission?

The negative battery cable has two cables, one runs to the strut tower and the other bolts to a bracket on top of the trans.

It's possible, but probably not. Your EGR could be dirty, your MAF could be dirty or failing, you could have a bad coilpack or wire, or your plugs may need to be replaced. Could even be a dirty or bad primary O2 sensor. I would start there and then reset the battery and see if it improves. Also check the accordion tube for tears if you have the stock intake.

OK new problem. I went to fill my transmission back up with fluid and it leaks. It seems to be coming from the bell housing. I have looked and the new seals around the CV axles are dry. I did clean the inside of the transmission with brake cleaner. Could this have damaged the input shaft seal?

Did you reseal the transmission case with silicone? Not where it meets the engine but the two halves of the case?

OK new problem. I went to fill my transmission back up with fluid and it leaks. It seems to be coming from the bell housing. I have looked and the new seals around the CV axles are dry. I did clean the inside of the transmission with brake cleaner. Could this have damaged the input shaft seal?

Sorry for the double post. No I didn't. But I didn't take that apart. I just pulled it to replace the clutch. I cleaned inside the bell housing with brake cleaner. I've got an oil leak that I need to take care of. There was gunk everywhere. I replaced the main oil seal behind the flywheel to but it's not motor oil.

Last edited:
Leak is definitely coming from inside the bell housing. I just cleaned up the tranny and put a little more oil in to see if it was coming from somewhere else 1486495506107-1353602818.jpg

You are going to have to pull it apart and see where it's coming from. It's either the case itself or the input shaft seal. That's a really bad leak though, you can't drive it like that. And it will ruin the clutch.

Yeah I just picked up the seal. Question. Do I I need to take it apart from the gear side in. Basically dissemble the whole thing or can I just pull the bell housing off

The bell housing is part of one of the halves of the case, it's worth a shot trying to remove the seal without taking the trans apart but I have a feeling you will have to split the case and remove the gear sets to replace the seal. I had my trans apart last summer but I don't recall if it's possible to get to it without taking it apart.

Back