Protege5 weight reduction.

ApolloP5

:
Mazda Protege5
So the ol P5 has been sitting waiting for a motor so why not strip the interior? I'm planning rollbars and some new seats after the new motor. (Yes its dirty im cleaning that right now)
7c2d7e45baf2e9c0bba8e7f7bd37d4d3.jpg
ff87b92e7ce82b9b332905310930dd6d.jpg
0d015ef6152e737bc1f317830d2a363b.jpg

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

I stripped out mine a little ago too the sound proofing is real easy with dry ice but man oh man did it get louder haha

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I didn't realize it was a tiptronic, in that case you probably don't need a built motor and a turbo. The auto trans can't handle much without being built up or upgraded to an aftermarket trans.

I don't have an issue upgrading the components of the trans there is a performance shop called 3R Racing here in Colorado I'll probably take it down there and see what they can do. I'm assuming they will do something like the valve bodies or clutches with more surface area. we all gotta do it at some point👍

Last edited:
... I'm assuming they will do something like the valve bodies or clutches with more surface area. we all gotta do it at some point👍

For Gods Sake Turn It Into A 5-Speed and learn to drive with the extra pedal.

I'm not an idiot. I'm aware of how to properly drive a manual. Take yourself on somewhere else if all you will be doing is criticizing someone's choices.

You can do all the weight reduction you want, drive around in a rattly tin can and it still won't be as fast as a stock manual p5. Even if the stock manual p5 had subs, full dynamat, and every available option, it would probably still be faster. And I know which of the two I'd prefer.

The built automatic trans can handle more power than the G15MR manual trans. But you are talking about spending a lot of money. You can pick up a clean MSP for $3k these days, which is already lighter, has a turbo, LSD, tokico struts, larger swaybars, limited production, special colors, etc etc.

I'm not an idiot. I'm aware of how to properly drive a manual. Take yourself on somewhere else if all you will be doing is criticizing someone's choices.

Sorry,.. I was drunk and being obnoxious.

I just think a stick shift is what makes a sports car sporty and is a huge part of what makes driving fun.

Sorry,.. I was drunk and being obnoxious.

I just think a stick shift is what makes a sports car sporty and is a huge part of what makes driving fun.
It's alright. And i can understand why. i use to own a 07 Hyundai Tiburon with the six speed. I can agree it is most definitely fun when its a stick shift.

Last edited:
That is not true at all, the auto can more easily be upgraded than the 5 speed and can handle a lot more power.

I would be more than happy to hear what can be done to the slushbox to handle a built engine. Please clarify.

I would be more than happy to hear what can be done to the slushbox to handle a built engine. Please clarify.

I doubt there are many sources for parts, improved or upgraded, for the auto especially for less than someone could build a MT for, but I've had zero experience with the AT. It's just that traditionally speaking, with the exception of your common automatic transmissions (7R400, TH350, Powerglide, etc.), others seem incredibly expensive to build to handle power. Of course, in regards to that, I'm talking domestic RWD power where there is a need and use for it, there isn't so much for a 15-year-old Mazda Protege. What automatic transmission model is actually in these cars?

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ht-reduction&p=6492008&viewfull=1#post6492008

My post from earlier in the thread. Lentech valve body is the first step. A company used to (may still) make complete built auto transmissions that were advertised to handle 500whp. Can't find out any info right now but it did exist. Didn't look into it as I have never had an auto protege but it was a thing.
Trans is the same one used in the Focus of the same vintage.

Back