What do you LOVE about your Mazda CX-5?

I like the rugged good looks for a crossover. I have the 2016.5 GT with Tech Package and iActive package, roof rails and crossbars painted in Titanium Flash Mica. I like that it sits fairly high and drives really comfortably. The quality of the materials on the interior is really nice too. Living in Washington State, there are CX-5s everywhere, and several of my coworkers have them since they came out, and all of them have praised it for comfort and reliability.

Minor thing that I just noticed: while the CX-5 doesn't have a rubberized dead pedal (as my old Forester did), it does have more space for my left leg to stretch out, either on the carpeted foot rest or even further, to the left and even past the brake pedal. I couldn't stretch my leg nearly as far in my Forester. I'm finding it very comfortable!

Minor thing that I just noticed: while the CX-5 doesn't have a rubberized dead pedal (as my old Forester did), it does have more space for my left leg to stretch out, either on the carpeted foot rest or even further, to the left and even past the brake pedal. I couldn't stretch my leg nearly as far in my Forester. I'm finding it very comfortable!

+1 on the room to stretch out next to the brake. There are a few good options to make your own dead pedal - I did and it looks great.

I don't go fjording streams in my cx5 though...

I am probably going to ford at least one stream with mine. From what I've read it just needs basic service in the near future afterwards, no permanent damage unless you don't deal with with the water in the system. I can live with that, crossing streams is fun and sometimes necessary.

I am probably going to ford at least one stream with mine. From what I've read it just needs basic service in the near future afterwards, no permanent damage unless you don't deal with with the water in the system. I can live with that, crossing streams is fun and sometimes necessary.

Mine died on a washed-out driveway with water not reaching the door-sill. I would take it to the dealer the next day. It will cost you around $100ish to do the rear diff, the front sites a bit higher I think. Dunno, I'd do both. So a couple hundred bucks every time it rains for that poor guy who lives down that road if he had a CX5, ROFL!

Something I didn't know: "Older eyes often times see better in cooler color temperatures. Women often prefer warmer colors than men. Task lighting is better if cooler. Cooler whites raise attention. Warmer whites soften the environment and make for a more relaxed space. Warmer whites will hide the true color of objects and add yellow tint." from:http://www.eaglelight.com/category/lighting_tutorials.color_temperature/

And: "The other advantage to cooler light is that often people perceive it as brighter or producing more light than a source with a warmer color temperature. " from: https://solutions.borderstates.com/...ose-led-lamps-for-warm-and-cool-applications/

But warmer spectrum provides greater contrast (pilot's glasses, shooter's glasses, fog lights). I always wondered why some prefer the 5000K-6000K+ for headlights for this reason.

Best driving cuv @30k well equipped. Better steering and road manners than my 70k x5 loaner and not much less usable.

Best driving cuv @30k well equipped. Better steering and road manners than my 70k x5 loaner and not much less usable.

I think X vehicles are a ripoff.
I also consider them perversions of BMW.
Purely subjective.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Completely agree though i am pretty fond (less the e-steering)of my rear driven x1..that said my 2nd bmw will likely be my last assuming I dont find a sweetheart deal on a rwd 2 that barely exist here...They are shameless money ****** who don't give a damn how their cars feel anymore..at least those not wearing an m badge which they've also whored out to the Nth degree

Last edited:
Completely agree though i am pretty fond (less the e-steering)of my rear driven x1..that said my 2nd bmw will likely be my last assuming I dont find a sweetheart deal on a rwd 2 that barely exist here...They are shameless money ****** who don't give a damn how their cars feel anymore..at least those not wearing an m badge which they've also whored out to the Nth degree

To be fair their SAVs are very capable but I cannot justify paying that much when I can get (outside of driving dynamics) the same thing for much less in a CX-5.

Me neither but to me its 2 main advantages are #1 powertrain- hard to fault that TI6- I'm sure it would be more impressive if it didn't have 4735lbs of German pork to haul and #2 interior quality- save the pleather seats..they really need something better as standard even if its not leather which it should be..but then again who wouldn't pay up for leather on a nearly 70k SUV. I was shocked and nearly appalled to see it

Last edited:
For me it's a combination of plenty of driver space (I'm 6' 6" so this is always a consideration), great fuel economy, tech features (I have iActiveSense), handling, and long distance comfort. Oddly, given the consensus around around here, I find the cabin to be pleasantly quiet and refined too.

I also feel that the AWD and traction control system is VERY good when paired with a set of dedicated winter tires.

It's very simple. The CX-5 was the only CUV that gave me such a great feeling as a driver. Everything else was so cushy, ugly, and boring.

The AWD and traction control has been so good to me over the years I have not even needed or bothered with winter tires.

It's very simple. The CX-5 was the only CUV that gave me such a great feeling as a driver. Everything else was so cushy, ugly, and boring.

The AWD and traction control has been so good to me over the years I have not even needed or bothered with winter tires.

I agree... but if you ever throw some snows on it... it is like a mountain goat in the snow/ice. Another noticeable benefit will be stopping distance. It will be significantly shorter in extreme conditions. If you can find a cheap set on CL like I did worth a try....if it doesn't live up to expectations minimal loss to sell to someone else. Just my 2 cents.

I think X vehicles are a ripoff.
I also consider them perversions of BMW.
Purely subjective.

I love driving my moms x6. Turboh, awd. Nice crackle at a wot manual shift, great acceleration. I can feel the extra weight however when cornering, but its planted for sure. If i was higher dollar I would mod one with a sport suspension.

New owner, but so far: Very nimble for city driving, zippy and comfortable while commuting hours on the highway, and capable on rutted-out mountain roads. Viva la CX5!

I love my CX-5, but the seats aren't that comfy. Volvo seats are way better. And the manual shift isn't as good as other marques in a similar class either.

Other than that, I'm not trading away my CX-5. It's a super car.

Totally agree with you on comfy seats (volvo)! That was one of my regrets when i switced to mazda from my previous volvo as it had one of the best ergonomically designed seats in the auto industry...my new mazda has a lot going for it as well just not the seats for me as i find it not as comfy IMO

After only driving Hondas (Civics and more recently last 2 gens of Accords) I would say the driving dynamics, steering which I find to be better connected to the road.
I am hoping I get the same great reliability I was treated with by my Hondas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back