What do you LOVE about your Mazda CX-5?

LED manufacturing tech changes with production runs. If you inhabit fora like candlepowerforums, you'll see that LED tint vary all the time, and some people are driven nuts by this. Mazda has no realistic way to control this. They would have to measure the tint for every LED assembly. No manufacturer would do this, because you, the buyer, would have to pay, and refuse to pay, for a light assembly that would cost hundreds of dollars more than it already does.

(hand) we supply architectural lighting, so you're saying when a designer specify a 4000k wall lamps in a hotel CORRIDOR, we could install various color temps just because LED factories can't control production lines. That's a cool excuse sir! Well noted, Thank you!
Just to be clear right stock is at 7000k-ish while the newly installed one is at 4500k range.

(hand) we supply architectural lighting, so you're saying when a designer specify a 4000k wall lamps in a hotel CORRIDOR, we could install various color temps just because LED factories can't control production lines. That's a cool excuse sir! Well noted, Thank you!
Just to be clear right stock is at 7000k-ish while the newly installed one is at 4500k range.

Is OEM really 7000K? What kind of CRI is that? I bet grey-out is terrible at 7000K at the further distances. I really like 4500K with an LED, and of course the higher the CRI, the better. Replace the OEM one if you do anything, IMO

They're good, but TBH, at times I have to take my wallet out on long road trips

George?
costanza-wallet.jpg

love the fact that my newly replaced right led headlight low beam has a different color temp from the left stock. Amazing factory line mazda!
Actually, that'd be the LED manufacturer, not Mazda.
Technically, but as far as the customer is concerned quality control and backing the product is up to Mazda....
Well said, fw_fw! And Driver 1 should try to get the LED headlight replaced with matching color temperature by contacting Mazda North American Operations.

They're good, but TBH, at times I have to take my wallet out on long road trips

I place my wallet in my front pocket. On long trips, keeping it in my back pocket messes up my spine's alignment causing my sciatica to emerge. No so much after placing it in front pocket. Also better security in public too. 1st world problems lol.

I like that the CX-5 has a high seating position. Easy on my back and knees on long trips. Only wished the seat itself was aprox 1 inch longer and it would be perfect.

Is OEM really 7000K? What kind of CRI is that? I bet grey-out is terrible at 7000K at the further distances. I really like 4500K with an LED, and of course the higher the CRI, the better. Replace the OEM one if you do anything, IMO

True the 7000k is terrible at night

I can't, already shelled out $$$$ on the new one. no warranty due to aftermarket interior leds and led rear fog i installed.

Can't think of another car that has cabin filters so easy to change.

Having put 14K + on my 2016 CX-5 Touring FWD, I still love it. My biggest likes:
- Handling. I hadn't realized how numb the steering was in my '13 Hyundai Sonata. I do a good bit of driving on curvy mountain roads, and I enjoy every mile in my new ride.
- Mileage. I never dreamed I would average 29.56 mpg in a CUV. But that's the number I have after logging 90% of my miles.
- Infotainment: Blue tooth connection is rapid, and being able to play through the USB ports is an added bonus.
- Comfort: BIG upgrade from the Sonata. Dropping down into the driver's seat, and then climbing up out of it was taking a toll on this old spine.
- Uniqueness: Not seeing a CX-5 around every corner (as you do with CR-V, Rav-4, Escapes) is pretty nice.

Can't say enough good about this CX-5.

True the 7000k is terrible at night

I can't, already shelled out $$$$ on the new one. no warranty due to aftermarket interior leds and led rear fog i installed.

Wait, what?! They voided your warranty for interior LEDs and rear fog?!?!

The fog I can understand when our cars don't have them. It was added, not swapped. Interior lights though?

Sent from my LG V10

That's insane. Most factory cars are 4-4700k or so.

I took the trouble to install my Gretag McBeth i1 Pro spectrophotometer onto my laptop this morning. The LED headlights on my 16.5 CX-5 show a spectrum somewhat bluer than my beloved Zebralight SC52.

Over the last two nights, I went on a 25 mile highway loop, to evaluate my prior headlight aim. I found I had aimed the lights too low, so raised them up slightly. Due to the wonderfully sharp cutoff from the lit, to the unlit portion of the beam, even after raising the lights, there's no light showing even bumper-high on cars 100 feet in front of me.

But more on-point, I do not notice an abnormal blue tint. I didn't see it on my white garage door, either. Just beautiful, bright light. It's bright down the road, without the blinding bright foreground that incandescents produce.

cx5 two measures.PNG

sc52 two measures.PNG

Last edited:
Something I didn't know: "Older eyes often times see better in cooler color temperatures. Women often prefer warmer colors than men. Task lighting is better if cooler. Cooler whites raise attention. Warmer whites soften the environment and make for a more relaxed space. Warmer whites will hide the true color of objects and add yellow tint." from:http://www.eaglelight.com/category/lighting_tutorials.color_temperature/

And: "The other advantage to cooler light is that often people perceive it as “brighter” or producing more light than a source with a warmer color temperature. " from: https://solutions.borderstates.com/...ose-led-lamps-for-warm-and-cool-applications/

I took the trouble to install my Gretag McBeth i1 Pro spectrophotometer onto my laptop this morning. The LED headlights on my 16.5 CX-5 show a spectrum somewhat bluer than my beloved Zebralight SC52.

Over the last two nights, I went on a 25 mile highway loop, to evaluate my prior headlight aim. I found I had aimed the lights too low, so raised them up slightly. Due to the wonderfully sharp cutoff from the lit, to the unlit portion of the beam, even after raising the lights, there's no light showing even bumper-high on cars 100 feet in front of me.

But more on-point, I do not notice an abnormal blue tint. I didn't see it on my white garage door, either. Just beautiful, bright light. It's bright down the road, without the blinding bright foreground that incandescents produce.

View attachment 215906

View attachment 215907

I don't have the LEDs but the cutoff on the projector beam halogens is very sharp and bright as well.

Back