What do you LOVE about your Mazda CX-5?

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
  • I think it is the best looking CUV on the market and...
  • I love the 19 inch wheels
  • The LED Headlights are simply awesome
  • Comfy seats
  • Commander Control knob system and placement
  • White dashbard lighting
  • Back seat leg room
  • Overall headroom
  • 2.5 Liter engine provides plenty of juice
  • SPORT mode!
  • The look of the LED DRL's and Tails. I think most LED DRL lighting on cars is crap, Mazda class leader here IMO
  • Backup camera crisp and clear and colorful (after changing default options)
  • It's easily one of the funnest to drive. The Zoom Zoom marketing angle isn't a joke...

2016 CX-5

1) best looking interior in its class IMHO
2) saving at least $150 every month now on gas (getting 29 highway/26 city) vs previous car (18 highway/ 16 city)
3) very easy to maintenance myself, no need to go to dealer or indy shop
4) Pandora works flawlessly
5) agree with you on the black/silver 19" wheels, I don't even need to clean them as often as previous cars, it hides the brake dust by itself :)

what non-default settings are you using for the rear view camera to get it crisp and clear ?

2013 CX-5

1. The manual transmission. (shifts better than anything else I have driven )
2. Steering,, very quick to turn.
3. Suspension. Perfect for handling without being harsh.
4. MPG... 2.0 with manual. I am averaging 34mpg of mixed driving.
5. Reliability.
6. Not fast, but still more than adequate...I find myself just sitting back and enjoying the drive, instead of racing down the road with the other knuckle heads. So much less stress this way.

2013 CX-5

5. Reliability.
6. Not fast, but still more than adequate...I find myself just sitting back and enjoying the drive, instead of racing down the road with the other knuckle heads. So much less stress this way.

1. The manual transmission. (very fun to drive, but much harder to drive smoothly than any other car I have driven )
4. MPG... 2.0 with manual. I am averaging 32mpg of mixed driving.
5. Reliability.
6. Not fast, but still more than adequate...I find myself revving the engine to redline, heel-toe downshifting, squealing the tires while barely driving faster than the old ladies in Prius's racing down the road on their way to the market. So much fun this way.[/QUOTE]

what non-default settings are you using for the rear view camera to get it crisp and clear ?

Yeah, I'd like to know because mine is crappy and I keep the lens clean. At night it's all washed out. My wife's Honda is like HiDef.

The fact that after 14 months of ownership Pandora finally works perfectly with my iPhone 6s

you really did end up starting one of these threads... anyway, from my perspective, the dislikes thread would be more useful and illuminating for a potential buyer, whereas all of the things that CX-5 owners love about their cars will be pretty obvious from other car reviews or based solely on subjective POVs (like "cool" LED lights). anyway, interesting thread.

• I think it is the best looking CUV on the market and... -- i don't know about best, but i've always been a fan of kodo. although, i prefer a boxier look like the forester.
  • I love the 19 inch wheels -- not thrilled about the design of them but i do like the color
  • The LED Headlights are simply awesome -- i kind of regret not getting tech, but the long-term costs may get very high post warranty period.
  • Comfy seats -- no complaints here.
  • Commander Control knob system and placement -- i do like the control knob and placement, but don't like how long it takes for the system itself to load up on start
  • White dashbard lighting -- this is actually one of my biggest complaints about the CX-5. it does look decent, but it is very dated. it would've been nice to have some contrast or an LCD screen.
  • Back seat leg room -- leg room is okay in the back
  • Overall headroom -- going to have to disagree with you here. competitors have an edge in rear headroom.
  • 2.5 Liter engine provides plenty of juice -- not sure about plenty of juice, but it is adequate.
  • SPORT mode! -- never use it.
  • The look of the LED DRL's and Tails. I think most LED DRL lighting on cars is crap, Mazda class leader here IMO -- they look great, but don't think they're class leading (e.g., BMW angel eyes).
  • Backup camera crisp and clear and colorful (after changing default options) -- not so great when it rains/snows since the camera is always exposed.
  • It's easily one of the funnest to drive. The Zoom Zoom marketing angle isn't a joke... -- great driving dynamics. wouldn't use "funnest" though.

1. Great looking cuv, love the look of the 2017 but had to buy it now.
2 it feels like a sports car when you drive it, a few quick turns and it makes me smile.
3. ergonomics feel great to me. The control knob and such are a great thing (added a touch screen unit in my wifes JKU and it's hard to use at times)
4. The awd system is great. I had a CX7 turbo prior and loved it but the new systems really have stepped it up.
5. Sport mode is cool when you want to have a little extra fun.

Ok, I guess crisp isn't the best way to describe the backup cam. I pretty much turned everything except contrast up. Color had the biggest effect. So I think because everything really pops now it makes it seem clearer? And much like a cellphone, it's better during the day.
Not to mention first time I've had one so tiny frame of reference here. Lol.

2 things re jlx21 comment.
1 Does everything here have to be geared toward helping others decide if they want to buy? Hell no, I say. We can talk about stuff we like. That's what enthusiasts do. :)

2. I think some of us may bring a different perspective then the reviews, in a great way. I watched every review and not just for the CX5. Rav4, Rogue, Cherokee, CRV, Crosstrek, Forester, Xc90 blablabla. Most of them said the CRV infotainment system is the worst, the Mazda average, and the Jeep class leading.
I totally disagree. Mazda is the best, then the Honda,. Followed by the Cherokee. I cannot believe any reviews call that best. Because you can rearrange the icons? Bah. I hated it.
Won't get that opinion in any review.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
2013 CX-5

5. Reliability.

1. The manual transmission. - same here, best ive driven , smooth and short throws
2. Steering, very precise and sporty handling, drives like a sporty compact...but its a cuv!
3. Suspension. Perfect for handling without being harsh. -exactly!
4. MPG... 2.0 with manual. I am averaging 32mpg of mixed driving and 36mpg on the highway
5. Reliability. agreed, bought mine May 2014 no issues whatsoever
6. Not fast, but still more than adequate. Plenty of pep , especially if you rev it to 5-6krpms, reminds me of my old Protege5 (rip old friend), you have to know how to shift in this car to stay in the powerband.

7. Great looking car. I love the way it looks inside and out, beautiful lines and very nice interior.

Last edited:
I love the handling. I bought an AWD Eagle Talon to get away from front-wheel drive understeer. Then an Outback, A4, Impreza. The CX-5 brings back memories of my CRX.

The backup camera has to be able to provide you with an image under the tiny amount of light coming from the backup lights. Those of you who tried to take hand-held pictures at night, with a digicam, know what I'm talking about.

You'd have to spend a thousand dollars (retail Mazda to market) to get a significantly better image at night.

The backup camera has to be able to provide you with an image under the tiny amount of light coming from the backup lights. Those of you who tried to take hand-held pictures at night, with a digicam, know what I'm talking about.

You'd have to spend a thousand dollars (retail Mazda to market) to get a significantly better image at night.
This is where extra bright reverse lamps assist!

I love the AWD
I love the 2.5 Auto Transmission
I love the paddle shifters
I love the heated seats
I love the fuel economy. Currently with our 2.5AWD, getting 4 mpg more than previous 2006 Mazda5, same loop.

I love my CX-5, but the seats aren't that comfy. Volvo seats are way better. And the manual shift isn't as good as other marques in a similar class either.

Other than that, I'm not trading away my CX-5. It's a super car.

love the fact that my newly replaced right led headlight low beam has a different color temp from the left stock. Amazing factory line mazda!

love the fact that my newly replaced right led headlight low beam has a different color temp from the left stock. Amazing factory line mazda!

Actually, that'd be the LED manufacturer, not Mazda.

So far (60K) no maintenance issues, steering feel is very good and acceleration is there when needed.

Back