2016+ CX-5 parking brakes are actually using the regular rear brakes......

:
2016 CX-5
not sure if any member mentioned this, but I was rotating my tires today and just for the heck of it wanted to check the parking brakes

low and behold, there was no "parking brake shoes" (not sure if that's the right term, but in my previous non-electric parking brakes they were like two piece semi-circles with springs that engaged via friction against the rear rotor internal hat and they always caused squealing after putting in a new rotor, and there were always a hassle to put on and get them exactly right, there was like a tiny gear teeth dial that you had to turn to get it just right, it was really a hassle, but now looks like Mazda did away with that entirely,

I popped off the rear rotor and there was nothing, the parking brakes are the regular rear pads when the e-brake is activated the pads clamp down on the rotor.....

4ub03c.jpg

2ut3uds.jpg

also, from previous past experiences with rusted on rotors, I also wanted to remove that stupid one rotor screw that always gets rusted and has to be drilled out (well guess what? there is no screw !! there's a hole in the rotor but no matching hole in the hub and no philips flathead screw lilke my previous cars, those screws are useless anyways, they always get rusted and make what should be a simple rotor replacement job a nightmare, they're just usually to hold the rotor in place for Mazda assembly line)

I added anti-seize at the rotor/hub interface so the rotor will not get rusted to the hub and I won't need a rubber hammer to remove the rotor when it comes time to replace....in the past, I've had times where I literally had to bang on the rotor for like a good half hour to get them off...... even heat or PB Blaster didn't work..... I learned my lesson :)

2lue8us.jpg

just sharing, hopes this helps someone....

so I guess the new feature called "brake hold" for stop and go traffic really is using the regular brake pads, not the parking brakes or e-brake that I've been reading.

Last edited:
Nice post again as usual! I believe most vehicles are now using the same rear disc pads for parking brakes, cable or electrical, to save cost. My 2001.5 VW Passat is doing this way too. But my 2000 BMW 528i does have separate drum brake shoes to serve as parking brakes.

Last edited:
Mazda didn't "do away" anything... Mazdas NEVER used ANY separate parking brakes at all... they have always used the stopping brakes for the parking brake
there is NOTHING to be surprised about.... if you're used to that from your other brands of cars before, then there's nothing more to say

Mazda didn't "do away" anything... Mazdas NEVER used ANY separate parking brakes at all... they have always used the stopping brakes for the parking brake
there is NOTHING to be surprised about.... if you're used to that from your other brands of cars before, then there's nothing more to say

my '13 Mazda CX9 has a separate parking brake (actually all Mazda 2007-2015 CX-9's have them), see picture below, the CX-7's also have them, I think in the old days Mazda Mellinia and MPV had them too.

OP is right, freaking thing is a hassle, my own stupid fault for going to Mavis discount tire to get rotor changed, stupid tech forgot to release parking brake before getting the car on the lift, he thought the rotor was rusted on the hub and started banging away the rotor eventually popped off but not before taking the parking shoe with it, tech had to re-install it by adjusting the gear dial wheel on top of the shoe. The parking shoe kept rubbing against the inside of the rear rotor hat, had to adjust it three times until it was just right, real big hassle because the rotor has to come off to adjust the wheel dial which means the whole caliper assembly also has to come off

2007-Mazda-CX9-3306.jpg

http://pawlikautomotive.com/2015/08/2007-mazda-cx9-rear-brake-pads-and-rotors/

Last edited:
I appreciate the simplicity of the design on my '15. Being all mechanical there are fewer things to go awry. My Infiniti and Explorer have the rear disc/internal shoe setup. I've never had to mess with the parking brake shoes on my Infiniti but several times on my Explorer and what a complete PIA. I finally tore everything out and rebuilt it last time I was in there. The old Explorer made me a believer in anti-seize.

I had an old '87 Maxima as a kid that used the same parking brake setup as my Mazda. That old VG30E seemed so bulletproof to me. I got rid of it at 200k miles and still didn't use any oil. I followed it with Carfax years later and it lived on another 10 years and over 450K miles. I suppose they could have dropped another motor in it but wouldn't be surprised if it was stock.

Agreed with Kedis82ZE8, my wife's CX-5 is so easy and simple to maintain, spark plugs are a piece of cake, the whole layout is very thought out.

My '13 CX-9 on the other hand is a complete nightmare, three spark plugs against the firewall is like half a day's job need to remove the manifold to get to them. And there's a known failure with the water pump allowing coolant to get into the engine chamber, I'm leaning towards getting rid of it while it's still trouble free.

my '13 Mazda CX9 has a separate parking brake (actually all Mazda 2007-2015 CX-9's have them), see picture below, the CX-7's also have them, I think in the old days Mazda Mellinia and MPV had them too.

OP is right, freaking thing is a hassle, my own stupid fault for going to Mavis discount tire to get rotor changed, stupid tech forgot to release parking brake before getting the car on the lift, he thought the rotor was rusted on the hub and started banging away the rotor eventually popped off but not before taking the parking shoe with it, tech had to re-install it by adjusting the gear dial wheel on top of the shoe.

On the few cars I've had to adjust, there was a hole in the brake drum, stick a flat blade screwdriver thru it, and pry the star wheel (in the wrong direction... swear... pry twice as far in the right direction). I thought that all cars with a cable-operated parking brake had internal brake drums.

Thanks for the pics and write up, Tomcat. Well done.

Thanks Conrad, just wanted to help fellow CX-5 owners, actually I'm a newbie at this, and don't know much about the correct CX-5 jack points, the Mazda manual calls out the obvious side pinch welds and the front dimple and rear differential areas,

attachment.php

when I works on cars, I always use ramps and chocks, feel they're more safer than floor jacks and jack stands, but when I have to rotate tires or maintain brakes, I have no choice but to use jacks and stands, I like to have triple redundancy just to be safe, I can get to the rear differential pretty easy with the floor jack but the front dimple area is wayy too deep to get the floor jack bar to be able to pump the jack up, so I'm appealing to any members who can point me in the right direction for some possible jack stand locations for the front, I see a connector rod with a bolt head that seems pretty solid for a jack stand, is this a good location ?

there is so much plastic cladding underneath, jack points are pretty limited......

sp9qja.jpg

1z3vx3d.jpg

290zdpk.jpg

wccmit.jpg

Yes, I have never seen separate brakes for E-BRAKE on any MAZDAS, except for a couple of the FORD based Mazda's.

he's right... the CX-9 and the millenia had them... but everything else doesn't

not sure if any member mentioned this, but I was rotating my tires today and just for the heck of it wanted to check the parking brakes

low and behold, there was no "parking brake shoes" (not sure if that's the right term, but in my previous non-electric parking brakes they were like two piece semi-circles with springs that engaged via friction against the rear rotor internal hat and they always caused squealing after putting in a new rotor, and there were always a hassle to put on and get them exactly right, there was like a tiny gear teeth dial that you had to turn to get it just right, it was really a hassle, but now looks like Mazda did away with that entirely,

I popped off the rear rotor and there was nothing, the parking brakes are the regular rear pads when the e-brake is activated the pads clamp down on the rotor.....

4ub03c.jpg

2ut3uds.jpg

also, from previous past experiences with rusted on rotors, I also wanted to remove that stupid one rotor screw that always gets rusted and has to be drilled out (well guess what? there is no screw !! there's a hole in the rotor but no matching hole in the hub and no philips flathead screw lilke my previous cars, those screws are useless anyways, they always get rusted and make what should be a simple rotor replacement job a nightmare, they're just usually to hold the rotor in place for Mazda assembly line)

I added anti-seize at the rotor/hub interface so the rotor will not get rusted to the hub and I won't need a rubber hammer to remove the rotor when it comes time to replace....in the past, I've had times where I literally had to bang on the rotor for like a good half hour to get them off...... even heat or PB Blaster didn't work..... I learned my lesson :)

2lue8us.jpg

just sharing, hopes this helps someone....

so I guess the new feature called "brake hold" for stop and go traffic really is using the regular brake pads, not the parking brakes or e-brake that I've been reading.
That hole in the brake disk isn't for factory install it's for releasing a rust frozen pad from the hub. You turn the screw and as it push off the back of the assembly it released the rotor from the hub. It's an old design that is forged on nearly every brake disk. I've never seen a screw pre installed in any of the rotors before dating g back to the early nineties though. A shop would just provide their own when uninstalling. As for that parking g brake that's the first I've ever seen of that design. I wonder if that is not in fact part of an ancient civilizations version of stability control! Every parking brake I have e ever seen used the calipers and a cable that moved the inside caliper against the rotor via mechanical force and not hydraulic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A difference you will find with cars with brake pads as parking brakes is, you will have to turn the piston as you are pushing to retract the piston. You just can't push it in as you would the front brakes or rear brakes on cars with separate brake shoes for parking brakes. So when it comes time to replace the rear pads it is best to use a tool that turns it at the same time as pushing. They are not expensive, or one can be borrowed from a parts store loan a tool program.

that looks a good spot for the floor jack, that's probably the same location dealers use for their lifts,

see video.....the floor jack is jack right under the same bolt that you are referring to.... around :16 to :18 seconds mark

2qvdxxd.jpg

Last edited:
A difference you will find with cars with brake pads as parking brakes is, you will have to turn the piston as you are pushing to retract the piston. You just can't push it in as you would the front brakes or rear brakes on cars with separate brake shoes for parking brakes. So when it comes time to replace the rear pads it is best to use a tool that turns it at the same time as pushing. They are not expensive, or one can be borrowed from a parts store loan a tool program.

this is a good point, does anyone know for certain if the brake pistons for the CX-5 rears can be just pushed back or do they need to be turned

for the front, they look like they're just pushed back with a clamp:

Attachments

• ttt.jpg
    ttt.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,464
Last edited:
Batmancx & Astriuminc

In your posts above the vid included is only showing up (for me) as a black box. Right clicking on the box and showing the properties displays this, TLS 1.2, AES with 128 bit encryption (High); ECDH with 256 bit exchange.

Batmancx & Astriuminc

In your posts above the vid included is only showing up (for me) as a black box. Right clicking on the box and showing the properties displays this, TLS 1.2, AES with 128 bit encryption (High); ECDH with 256 bit exchange.

hmmmm....strange it's working for me, Conrad, just a suggestion for a workaround, try "reply with quote " to their respective posts to get the video youtube URL addresss video links, then copy and paste in new window and view from youtube.com

Back