CX-9 - what to look for?

RatLabGuy

Huh? What?
:
'03 p5 and '89 4Runner; M5 (wife's)
Hi all.
BLUF: gathering info on CX-9s and what to look for.

We've had a 2010 Mazda5 since new, wife's car. I've also had a Protege5 since '06, and been through it top to bottom (almost at 200k). I do ALL car work myself. So I know Mazdas.
We've thinking of replacing the Mazda5. It's just too small for our needs now. Have 2 kids, now 6 and 12, that was tolerable but once we added the 60 lb dog it's just too small for long trips.

Wife does not want a minivan so we're looking at mid-size crossovers. CX-9 is in the running.

Here are some questions:
- we'd not be getting a new one. Probably '10-12. I know up to this year was all one generation but a lot of little changes each year.
Is there a particular year that is good or to stay away from?
- What is the most common issue people complain about, or problem that comes up?
- Are the rear wheels' camber adjustable? The !@#$ Mazda5 and 3 are factory set w/ negative camber w/ no adjuster and eat tires. I had to add an adjustment kit. That drove me batty.
- How is the 3rd row space? Is it comfy for a large child or adult? The Mazda5 is a joke for anything other than kids.
- In looking at 3-6 year old models, what little things should I look out for?

Thanks!

I have owned a 2009, a 2011, and now a 2015 CX-9. I had GT trim on all of them and they were all amazing vehicles. I put over 130,000 miles on both the 2009 and the 2011. I have 26,000 miles on my 2015 and split my driving time between my 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and the CX-9.

I had no particular problems with any of the vehicles. I maintained them faithfully and changed fluids as Mazda recommended. No issues with tires. I put brakes only on the rear of the 2011 because of a sticking caliper, which was covered by warranty.

The third row is tight for an adult, great for kids up to about 12 or so. Access is good with the 2nd row sliding forward to get in and out. My granddaughters used to ride in the 3rd row until the oldest turned 12 and then she left the 3rd row to her sister. When we filled the car to go on an outing, they both sat back there without much complaining.

The CX-9 is an awesome handling vehicle. I enjoy spirited driving and have never been disappointed with the car in that regard. Fuel economy is OK for a vehicle of this size. I am able to get 22-23 on the highway with cruise control on and speeds under 75. At 80+ the mileage goes down to the 19-20 range. Considering the size of this vehicle, I guess that is not bad. The V-6 enables the vehicle to maintain a high speed cruise and good passing power. Even in the mountains, the CX-9 maintains 75mph without any struggle.

I pray this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once you get into the large SUV class you generally are dealing with flagship models where brands concentrate much of their resources. I never had a CX-9, but the CX-5 has surpassed my expectations. Toyota's Highlander is probably their best vehicle, same with Honda's Pilot. Hyundai's Santa Fe is the same thing.

If the CX-9 is Mazda's best, whoa man.

RatLabGuy, my advice is to buy a front wheel drive. You live in Aberdeen, MD. Here is a little bit of opinion - the only thing awd does for you is help to accelerate up hills so you don't lose traction - distribution of power. It won't help you brake. Front wheel drive has electronic brake force distribution regardless of 2wd / awd.
The only other thing it MIGHT do, is help you recover in an out of control situation. But that is very very unlikely. If you are going to wipe out, most people wipe out big and no electronics can recover from a way out of control event. AWD is heavy, CX-9 transfer case is a drop-in unit from the Ford Edge (Edge does not weigh as much as the CX-9 which might contribute to early failure). You are asking for trouble with awd. issues with rear differential, if transfer case goes, you are out thousands. But that is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
My other opinion is that the 2009 model year is the sweet spot for reliability, for some reason, based on my observations on this forum.
While my 08 has been nearly flawless, others have not been as lucky, compared to 2009 model.
Be careful if you have a touring or grand touring with the sunroof. It quickly needs the glass seal replaced if you use automatic carwashes. They will spray right through the seal. Un-bolt the 4 bolts, replace, re-bolt / align glass, pretty easy. I guess the seal just doesn't last long before it shrinks.
I am nearly 100% confident that camber and caster both are adjustable in the rear. The rear suspension is built VERY well, multi-link rear end. But don't take my word for it.
My tires always wear on the outside faster than inside, but that is because of my personal preference. I have tires where one side always has to be on the outside of the vehicle. You cant flip a tire where it stands and swap the outside to the inside. As a result, I don't get as many miles as some other tires. But mine are somewhere between summer and all-season. I hate loud tires, I hate poor rain channeling, I hate tires that use more gas. But not the car's fault. I am ocd with alignment and road force balancing and this car does very well staying in line.
I highly recommend the GT if for nothing else the h.i.d. lights. I have used aftermarket hid conversion kits, I recently upgraded my 13' Altima to factory D2S h.i.d. headlamp assemblies, but even so, they are just not as bright as the D2S setup on the CX-9. I don't know if its because the car sits up higher or what. The lights are just incredible. Best lights on any car I've ever driven. The electronic adjusters start crapping out after several years, but you can still adjust them by hand, via white adjustment knobs, utilizing a screwdriver. Upgrading from halogen to oem factory hid in the cx-9 would be very costly. And knockoff conversion kits cant get you the same results since the projector lens and projector lens housing are different internally. (plus the 20" wheels give you a little more stability to boot).

The 3rd row isn't too bad for adults except for getting in and out which is not the most pleasurable experience, but once you're in, and you scoot the center row forward a little, its not too bad in the 3rd row.

Be on the lookout for oil seaping on the right (passenger) side of the engine, likely from the head gasket. Just beside the motor mount. Some do it worse than others.
Mine started just before the 60k warranty ran out. I should have taken it in. But even now at 9 years and 94k miles, it is only a minor seap and not bad.

Good luck!

Back