Ride

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I have a 2015 CX-5 and love it. I got it because I'm as old as dirt now and my health has deteriorated accordingly. I got tired of pushing myself up and out of my Honda Accord coupe which was a kick butt car with a v-6. My CX-5 is so much easier to ingress and egress than the Honda. This one drives wonderfully, however I wish it had an adjustable suspension like some of the cars today. My comfort is paramount nowadays and sometimes I wish the ride was a little more compliant. I'm sure some will dislike this I'm sure.

Adjustable suspensions are usually not seen at this price point. Next time go upmarket a bit.

Yes I so miss the Mazda Automatic Adjustable Suspension they implemented in 1984-91 on the 626 and MX-6, and then 1986-90 on the RX-7s.

It was little more than a servo motor on top of each shock, that would turn the adjustment on top of the strut assembly, remotely from the cockpit...

Here is a pic of that 80's Mazda A.A.S. button for fun...

s-l225.jpg

That said, the KONI FSD's are available (non adjustable), and the KONI Sports ADJUSTABLES are available.

As it is now, about the only thing you can do is to play with the tire pressure, and perhaps try running a couple pounds under.

Like you, I would love a Magna ride, or cockpit adjustable suspension again...

FWIW, I run 30# in the tires of my touring so take a little of the bite out of my lowered (H&R) suspension. You might try that. No noticeable effect on handling or tire wear.

⋯ This one drives wonderfully, however I wish it had an adjustable suspension like some of the cars today. My comfort is paramount nowadays and sometimes I wish the ride was a little more compliant. I'm sure some will dislike this I'm sure.
Yeah sometimes I have the same feeling on this "firm" ride on my CX-5 with 225/55R19 tires. I'v never been a fan of adjustable suspension due to the reliability concerns especially those with air suspension. I believe the best solution for you right now is to get a new set of softer "Grand Touring" tires such as General AltiMAX RT43 225/65R17 102H tire.

FWIW, I run 30# in the tires of my touring so take a little of the bite out of my lowered (H&R) suspension. You might try that. No noticeable effect on handling or tire wear.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but isn't 30psi too low even with lowered suspension ? the suspension height shouldn't dictate the psi requirement, the tire still needs to carry the same gross weight no matter whether it's low or high suspension. The effect of underinflation will be multiplied if there's a full load of 2nd row passengers running 30psi especially for CX-5 size and weight.

shouldn't it be pressurized per the tire manufacturer's recommended operating pressures like 36 psi ?

I had a co-worker who didn't check his tire pressure and it was running like 28 psi for a long time when it should have been 36 psi, when he went to change a new tire he said his entire internal side wall was shredded and cracking from all the stress due to the under-inflation, there was little bits of rubber that the tech can scoop with his hands, tech said he was lucky he didn't have a highway blowout and could have died. It looked like the picture below on the right.....

underinflation.jpg

My boss can change the ride comfort using a simple dial on his MB E500 which uses some sort of airbags (not sure?) to control the ride comfort from soft to stiff, but his tire pressure stays the same as per manufacturer requirements.....

Last edited:
⋯ shouldn't it be pressurized per the tire manufacturer's recommended operating pressures like 36 psi ?
paris1 has a CX-5 Touring with 225/65R17 102H tires and the factory spec on tire pressure is 34 psi.

While I also think running 30 psi on CX-5 is a bit too low and I won't recommend to anyone, but paris1 knows what he's doing. :)

I had a co-worker who didn't check his tire pressure and it was running like 28 psi for a long time when it should have been 36 psi, when he went to change a new tire he said his entire internal side wall was shredded and cracking from all the stress due to the under-inflation, there was little bits of rubber that the tech can scoop with his hands,

this happened to my dad when we were on a long family road trip when I was just around 10 years old, I didn't know or understand anything at that time, all I knew was our trunk was overloaded with luggage and we were driving for a long time and then we started hearing rumbling in the back tires and had to get towed to the auto shop and the mechanic removed the tire and scooped up from the tire interior shredded bits of rubber......

You can get airide suspension for the CX-5. I think the kit is about 1.5-2k.

My rule of thumb, is 10% deviation MAX.
I would not want to go +- more than 10% of the Mazda recommend pressure... for the 17"inchers at 34psi COLD, that gives a possible range of 31-37psi for the 17" tires.

Regarding tyre pressures - if it's any help, the owners manual for my UK model (with a diesel motor) states:
225/65/R17 102V tyres - up to 3 persons 33psi all round, full load 38psi front, 41psi rear.
225/55/R19 99V tyres - up to 3 persons 36psi all round, full load 38psi front, 42psi rear.

Regarding tyre pressures - if it's any help, the owners manual for my UK model (with a diesel motor) states:
225/65/R17 102V tyres - up to 3 persons 33psi all round, full load 38psi front, 41psi rear.
225/55/R19 99V tyres - up to 3 persons 36psi all round, full load 38psi front, 42psi rear.

whoa, thanks for the info Alan, so driving around with a full load at 30psi sounds way underinflated and dangerous

Great info do you know what tire manufacturer is installed on the European CX-5

whoa, thanks for the info Alan, so driving around with a full load at 30psi sounds way underinflated and dangerous
It sounds low to me too, but as the models are named differently here in the UK (we have SE, SE-L, and Sports), and we have an awful lot of diesels (with a heavier motor?), I'm not sure which of your models would be at the lower pressures. Even running the lower pressure ones at 30psi would be running 10% low.

The tyres on the new CX-5 Sports Nav in the UK showroom I'm currently in are Toyo Proxes R36.

OK, here is what I could find on that tire... That is also the same 19" they put on the Grand Touring here in USA.

"The Proxes R36 is an original equipment 4x4 tyre designed specifically by Toyo Tires for the Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring."

http://toyotires.com.au/tyres/suv-4x4-tyres/item/68-proxes-r36

In the US, on the 17" wheels found on the Sport and the Touring models, they use the Yokohama Geolandar tires. Which have a lower PSI recommendation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back