Bought a 2014 CX-5

Interesting. We bought a 2014 Touring back in August, and we absolutely love the thing. Of course this is by far the newest car we've ever had, coming from my wife's old clunker 96 Toyota Corolla. Creature comforts and technology is off the charts compared to what we were used to driving. I love the way it rides and handles, and I love the steering feel. My one main complaint is the city MPG isn't quite what I hoped it would be, but part of that is my wife sitting in the school pickup line and idling for 20+ minutes every weekday afternoon. When I'm driving I can usually make it to about 26-27 MPG, and on a recent road trip we got 31 MPG on one tank.

You're absolutely right about idling. I think that is why I only got 23.9 mpg on my last tank. I warmed up the car on one cold day. My current tank is getting me almost 25 mpg, mostly city. One thing I don't understand is why this car doesn't coast very well. Almost immediately after taking my foot off the gas, it seems like I lose speed, like there is some sort of resistance. This occurs even when going down hill. You would think it would be designed to take advantage of coasting to conserve fuel.

You're absolutely right about idling. I think that is why I only got 23.9 mpg on my last tank. I warmed up the car on one cold day. My current tank is getting me almost 25 mpg, mostly city. One thing I don't understand is why this car doesn't coast very well. Almost immediately after taking my foot off the gas, it seems like I lose speed, like there is some sort of resistance. This occurs even when going down hill. You would think it would be designed to take advantage of coasting to conserve fuel.

What's your tire pressure? I haven't noticed any such thing in my 16 cx5.

That would be air resistance.

Looks like your last vehicle was a car. SUV/CUV's body profile presents more to the wind.

... One thing I don't understand is why this car doesn't coast very well. Almost immediately after taking my foot off the gas, it seems like I lose speed, like there is some sort of resistance. This occurs even when going down hill. You would think it would be designed to take advantage of coasting to conserve fuel.

This is normal. I had the same feeling when I first started driving it and had to google it up. I thought something was wrong. People have referred to it as engine braking.

This is normal. I had the same feeling when I first started driving it and had to google it up. I thought something was wrong. People have referred to it as engine braking.

That's a different thing. That requires pushing on the brake to engage.

People have referred to it as engine braking.
(uhm)

In fact, both my wife and I feel our CX-5 has non-effective engine brake comparing to other vehicles we have had. I blame it on the nature of Atkinson-cycle SkyActiv-G engine. :)

(uhm)

In fact, both my wife and I feel our CX-5 has non-effective engine brake comparing to other vehicles we have had. I blame it on the nature of Atkinson-cycle SkyActiv-G engine. :)

The effect of engine braking can certainly be felt, and seen, without applying the brakes. Get up to speed and take your foot off the gas while keeping an eye on the tach. Now try it while is sport mode and you'll really feel it then.

The effect of engine braking can certainly be felt, and seen, without applying the brakes. Get up to speed and take your foot off the gas while keeping an eye on the tach. Now try it while is sport mode and you'll really feel it then.

In my 2014 I've never seen engine braking without having applied input to the brake pedal. Has anyone else with a 2016+ seen this?

In my 2014 I've never seen engine braking without having applied input to the brake pedal. Has anyone else with a 2016+ seen this?

In my '16 FWD, if I let off the gas at speed there will be very minimal engine braking since I'm in 6th gear (and it seems to stay there). If I do nothing else, I don't feel the tranny downshift until a fairly slow speed (maybe 20 - 25 mph). If I want more engine braking sooner, I touch the brake pedal (enough to activate the brake switch I think) and then it will downshift sooner and thus provide more engine braking. On the rare occasion that I want more engine braking (a sustained downhill for example) I just pop into manual and select the gear I want.

(uhm)

I think Mazda designed the minimal engine braking on purpose. Allows me to perform hypermiling and coasting techniques to improve MPGs. That said I notice the dynamics in Sport mode change where it seems to actually engine break via staying in gear longer or downshifting faster than regular mode.

I'm not totally familiar with how Atkinson-cycle engines work, but "engine braking" is merely a term for the vacuum produced by the pistons in the cylinders when the throttle plate is closed which causes the engine (and vehicle) to lose speed and momentum. The higher the engine RPM, the more engine braking there will be. That's why large trucks will downshift when slowing down. Going to a lower gear raises the engine RPM, and thus increases engine braking if your foot is off the throttle pedal.

Also keep in mind that when the throttle plate is closed, the fuel injectors are shut off. So when "coasting" while in gear (not in Neutral), using engine braking, your fuel economy at that exact moment is basically infinite.

Some of these members are nuts. They're like "My CX5 has been in the shop 20 times this year, I'm at my wits end and just dropped a grand....but I LOVE this car. It's so fun to drive. Thanks Mazda!" Seriously, ive read some posts regarding problems that would str8 piss me off, & if I start experiencing a fraction of these, i wont love my car, ill regret buying the POS, trade it in asap, and eat my loss. I haven't had any major problems YET, but Ive already noticed some quirky stuff while driving, things not functioning, and received a recall notice...i believe my model has 3 already. Despite all this...my car hasnt broke down, but it only has like 30K miles. A bad car is like an abusive relationship, better GTFO before it kills u.

After grueling research, i bought a 2014 CX-5. I liked the car, but was mostly tired of car shopping. Here's my experience so far. It runs funny in the cold. I avg 23.9 mpg, not great, mostly city, and i do tend to get on the gas. I suspect mazda has manipulated the gas gauge because the 1st half tank will last much longer than the 2nd half...almost like they made a desperate attempt to give the impression its a real gas saver. The voice command is worthless. There's a real lack of interior lights. This includes center console, window/lock switches, & glove compartment. There is a sad excuse for a cargo light with a manual switch. Furthermore, there is no indicating light on the shifter base for what gear ur in. The posts on the fragile windshield have me worried, especially since i have the tech pkg. Which brings me to the auto wipers, this wasnt a selling point, but i dont think they work. Another feature that wasnt a selling point was the scbs. Havent tested this, but if it actually works, could be worth whatever it cost me. If it malfunctions, could cost me my life. It is fun to drive, and even with all its faults, i have no doubt the other cars i looked at had just as many, if not more.

Most of the concerns listed are genuine though interior lights are fine. 2 up front and 2 in the rear are plenty. As for the cargo light, I only recently realised you can leave it switched on so the cargo area is automatically lit when opened in the dark. I believe it turns off once the boot is closed.

Loud idle when cold is a renown criticism of the high compression Skyactiv engine which they should address with their aspirations of going premium.

SCBS works when I unintentionally tested it one day.

As for the engine braking others mentioned, I believe they improved the cruise control on the 2016.5 model to maintain its set speed more effectively hence I assume they've changed the engine braking characteristics on the newer update.

After grueling research, i bought a 2014 CX-5. I liked the car, but was mostly tired of car shopping. Here's my experience so far. It runs funny in the cold. I avg 23.9 mpg, not great, mostly city, and i do tend to get on the gas. I suspect mazda has manipulated the gas gauge because the 1st half tank will last much longer than the 2nd half...almost like they made a desperate attempt to give the impression its a real gas saver. The voice command is worthless. There's a real lack of interior lights. This includes center console, window/lock switches, & glove compartment. There is a sad excuse for a cargo light with a manual switch. Furthermore, there is no indicating light on the shifter base for what gear ur in. The posts on the fragile windshield have me worried, especially since i have the tech pkg. Which brings me to the auto wipers, this wasnt a selling point, but i dont think they work. Another feature that wasnt a selling point was the scbs. Havent tested this, but if it actually works, could be worth whatever it cost me. If it malfunctions, could cost me my life. It is fun to drive, and even with all its faults, i have no doubt the other cars i looked at had just as many, if not more.

he said, 'gas guage', so that means the fuel guage? if it reads 50%, the tank should be 50% full. There are more gradations on the lower half of the guage but it should reflect the physical level in the tank.

The boot light is silly, not being automatic. There does need to be a glovebox light too.

I thought the non functional voice command was just me, lol.

For info, MM79, you did come across as less than enthusiastic.

Some of these members are nuts. They're like "My CX5 has been in the shop 20 times this year, I'm at my wits end and just dropped a grand....but I LOVE this car. It's so fun to drive. Thanks Mazda!" Seriously, ive read some posts regarding problems that would str8 piss me off, & if I start experiencing a fraction of these, i wont love my car, ill regret buying the POS, trade it in asap, and eat my loss. I haven't had any major problems YET, but Ive already noticed some quirky stuff while driving, things not functioning, and received a recall notice...i believe my model has 3 already. Despite all this...my car hasnt broke down, but it only has like 30K miles. A bad car is like an abusive relationship, better GTFO before it kills u.

My 2014 GT now has over 80K miles and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. My overall mileage is over 26 MPG and the car is still fun to drive. Many of the things you highlighted are true but will become non issues in time. My little trunk light is automatic, not bright but still goes on an off when I open the trunk. The shifter has a light that indicates what gear you are in, drive or reverse or when in manual mode (on the dash). Your light might be out.

The voice command system is terrible. But only on the first try. The wacky thing is that the first time you use it (after turning the car on) it will not understand you. You have to cancel the first command and do the second for it to work (when it works perfectly).

The car is louder when cold and the mileage is poor until the engine warms up. Don't warm the car up if you like your mileage.

Also, my car rolls great when off the gas. It really helps with mileage. You might have something wrong there. I would say that tires do impact mileage more than I expected and a poster here has a good breakdown of the tires and impact on mileage. The Toyo's in my mind offer the best balance of performance and mileage.

The gas tank works as you mentioned but is similar to every other car I have owned or currently own.

Have you owned many cars? You should see what other brands/models go through. And not cheap ones too.

Latest posts

Back