New CX-5 Touring owner!

:
2016.5 Touring w/Tech
Bought one last Sunday. Touring in silver w/Tech package. Good deal (below invoice), but I could have done better except for being rather specific in my demands. Dealers out here have hundreds of Tourings and GTs... but there were only a small handful - like only 3 or 4 - in the region that were Touring with the Tech package that I wanted. I don't care for leather, and figured the tires that go with the bigger rims on a GT would only cost more money to replace down the road.

I know it's shallow and superficial, but one thing that put the CX-5 over the top for me compared to the new CRV (which my wife preferred) was that it still had a CD player. I have no problem with playing digital files (USB drives), but I have thousands of CDs at home and prefer playing them in the car. It's unclear if the 2017 CX-5 has a CD player or not. I was more neutral about the HD radio (which the new Honda also lacks), but I've come to really like it in just the last few days. Living in L.A., there are a lot of HD radio stations. I also love the Controller knob interface.

I was skeptical about the Bose radio - and really only got the Bose/moonroof package because I needed it to get the Tech - but I'm finding it to be much better than I expected as well, at least for the kind of music I prefer. Had to set the controls more drastically than I'm used to, but aside from some bass muddiness I really like the sound stage. I may replace the front speakers with the Polks that I've reading about here, but that might be all.

The only "mod" I can see making any time soon are the lower profile rear headrests that I never would have known about were it not for this forum. Coming from a Subaru Forester, the visibility in the CR-X is rather poor. I've never had a car with a b/u camera before so backing up and parking is still hilariously difficult. ;)

It was a tough decision to pull the trigger and get the CX-5 - both a new Forester and the CRV were in the running - but I'm very glad that I did. I'm enjoying the car more and more each day.

Ray

Last edited:
Shallow and superficial because it had a feature you wanted? That's not either of those things.
They still don't have HD in the CRV? Wow. That's nuts.
Also agree on the infotainment. I find myself reaching for the control knob a lot now.,..when I'm driving the wife's car. (no, there's no,knob there) lol

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

⋯ It's unclear if the 2017 CX-5 has a CD player or not.
For new 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5, it does have a CD player.

Glad you'd been persistent to get Tech Package on a Touring. Those LED lightings with AFS not only look cool, but increase the visibility of nighttime driving for greater safety.

JDM rearseat headrests are an excellent mod to have much better rear view for greater safety too.

Congrats!

Bought one last Sunday. Touring in silver w/Tech package. Good deal (below invoice), but I could have done better except for being rather specific in my demands. Dealers out here have hundreds of Tourings and GTs... but there were only a small handful - like only 3 or 4 - in the region that were Touring with the Tech package that I wanted. I don't care for leather, and figured the tires that go with the bigger rims on a GT would only cost more money to replace down the road.

I know it's shallow and superficial, but one thing that put the CX-5 over the top for me compared to the new CRV (which my wife preferred) was that it still had a CD player. I have no problem with playing digital files (USB drives), but I have thousands of CDs at home and prefer playing them in the car. It's unclear if the 2017 CX-5 has a CD player or not. I was more neutral about the HD radio (which the new Honda also lacks), but I've come to really like it in just the last few days. Living in L.A., there are a lot of HD radio stations. I also love the Controller knob interface.

I was skeptical about the Bose radio - and really only got the Bose/moonroof package because I needed it to get the Tech - but I'm finding it to be much better than I expected as well, at least for the kind of music I prefer. Had to set the controls more drastically than I'm used to, but aside from some bass muddiness I really like the sound stage. I may replace the front speakers with the Polks that I've reading about here, but that might be all.

The only "mod" I can see making any time soon are the lower profile rear headrests that I never would have known about were it not for this forum. Coming from a Subaru Forester, the visibility in the CR-X is rather poor. I've never had a car with a b/u camera before so backing up and parking is still hilariously difficult. ;)

It was a tough decision to pull the trigger and get the CX-5 - both a new Forester and the CRV were in the running - but I'm very glad that I did. I'm enjoying the car more and more each day.

Ray

I'm with you on the number of CDs, I've been collecting them since 1984... I've only recently started ripping my CD collection and I've just finished up with the B's. With two available USB ports on the CX-5, that's a WHOLE lotta songs to have on tap without having to mess around with a CD.

I have yet to try out the CD player in the CX-5. I suppose I should just to make sure it works.

Shallow and superficial because it had a feature you wanted? That's not either of those things.

Well, "superficial" only because I don't believe that the audio is a significant reason for which car to buy - though in this case it only confirmed that I wanted the CX-5. My wife couldn't have cared less about the CD, and when I asked on another thread here a few guys pretty much laughed at me. :D

I'm liking the car more and more as I get used to it. Compared to an old Forester, though, it still feels HUGE. I can't imagine how anyone could drive a bigger SUV or truck and enjoy it. Starting to get the feel for it though; I'm sure it'll feel like a small sedan in no time.

I was tempted to go for the AWD, but I just wouldn't use it enough to make it worth it and didn't want to take the hit on the mpg.

For new 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5, it does have a CD player.
Really? I don't see one (or room for one) in the 2017 dash pics
It's located just above the front center vents. See this video.

There are now rear facing vents for second row but there are no rear controls that I can see in video below......

some observations..... Super quiet once the videographer closed the doors. Japan model second row headrests have the lower profile than US models improving rear visibility a lot. Start button located in a more prominent location than current model which is obscured by the wiper stalk. 2017 still has a CD slot which is surprising as most mfr have deleted that for cost savings. IMHO, if you stare long enough from the front one member said it looks like a catfish, I didn't get that at first but after looking at this video he's right that horizontal crease along the bottom edge looks like the car is smiling at you,

Was at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday. I did not ask but the 2017 CX-5s on display did not appear to have a CD player, although above the controls there appeared to be space for one.

Any further confirmation?

CD/DVD Player

Was at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday. I did not ask but the 2017 CX-5s on display did not appear to have a CD player, although above the controls there appeared to be space for one.
Any further confirmation?
We see top-of-line Japanese model with Bose system comes with a CD/DVD player. But as you've noticed that all 2nd-gen CX-5 examples we've seen here, and the pictures shown on Mazda US website, the CD/DVD player is missing even with Bose system. It's pretty much confirmed that we won't get CD/DVD player here in the US!

Features we saw in the video from Japan don't mean we'll get them here in the US! There're too many previous examples that Mazda North American Operations wouldn't let US customers have many nice features like other regions. Heck, we can't even get memory driver's seat while Canadian can!

I am shopping for one in LA and trying to get a good deal on one. By chance, would you have the price quote so I can have a dealer match it?

Back