Questions on GS-L and Navigation option

sakbar

:
acura
Hi all - I am considering purchasing the GS-L trim here in Canada. It has an $425 option to add navigation - I understand it is just an SD card. My questions are:

1. Is the SD card available elsewhere for cheaper than $425 from the dealer?

2. With Apple CarPlay scheduled to come later, should i just wait for that release and therefore be able to use my iphone's navigation

thanks in advance for your comments!

Hi all - I am considering purchasing the GS-L trim here in Canada. It has an $425 option to add navigation - I understand it is just an SD card. My questions are:

2. With Apple CarPlay scheduled to come later, should i just wait for that release and therefore be able to use my iphone's navigation

I doubt you'll be able to find anywhere that's cheaper and if you ask me that $425 is already cheap. Normally adding navigation to any other trim level from other brands/models is usually a $2-3K option. Also, if they add the apple carplay or android auto it'll just be via a firmware update...

If cost is really a factor for you for navigation, then just install an aftermarket Garmin unit for $120 with lifetime unlimited map updates

Here's an SD card on eBay https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) $150 CAD including shipping.

Juat make sure it's the right part #. I looked into this question myself and you can find cards from $150 to $300 CAD.

I'm a Waze user, so didn't bite the bullet.

Hopefully it doesn't mess up your Nav/firmware as anything not from Mazda I am doubtful...but that's just me. You never know though as it could really work! good luck...once they add the carplay or android auto via firmware down the road then really no need for the Nav as you can just connect your cell and use it's built in google maps or apple version.

Don't hold your breath for carplay coming anytime soon. Believe it only when you see it. Ignore the rumors as this is highly unlikely given Mazda track record with software.just my 2cents.

I have a 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD that I bought from CarMax in late 2014. It came with navigation. Thing is for under $40 you can get a really good iOttie dash mount for you smart phone or tablet and use the inbuilt navigation, which will be up to date and have real time traffic conditions that are actually reliable, can pull addresses from your phone book, or even from your calendar. My car can connect to my phone but not my tablet via Bluetooth, but the speakers on my iPad are loud enough to do the job, I have thought about buying a cheap Bluetooth speaker to sit in one of the cup holders, but haven't needed it so far. I prefer the iPad because it sits at the right height on the dash and is bigger than the screen on my iPhone. I rarely use the Mazda navigation system because the Apple navigation for my iPhone and iPad are so much better. I am unlikely ever to shell out several hundred bucks for the map updates.

Thanks for the advice everybody. Will try to negotiate it in otherwise do the ebay route - looks like original mazda parts so should work fine (fingers crossed!).

Thanks for the advice everybody. Will try to negotiate it in otherwise do the ebay route - looks like original mazda parts so should work fine (fingers crossed!).

Well if it doesn't work at least it only cost you $150...not $425! One other suggestion would be to negotiate with your dealer where you bought your CX9 to give it to you at cost as usually they give you the price with the dealer markup

It appears to me the SSD car is serialized and tied to the NAV system in the car. I tried copying the card and keeping the original in a safe place. However the Windows software that downloads the latest maps would not recognize the card.

Don't hold your breath for carplay coming anytime soon. Believe it only when you see it. Ignore the rumors as this is highly unlikely given Mazda track record with software.just my 2cents.
There's a hack to install Android auto, one day I'll tackle this. Has anyone tried on their cx-9?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Back