replacement for dreadful stock duelers?

wgzn

:
2012 cx-9
while i understand the trendiness of the lower profile tires these days. i find the stock duelers to be noisy and uncomfortable.
not to mention i think on a CX9, it looks like a hippo on ballet shoes.

i'm looking for something:
- less noisy
- more comfortable (softer ride)
- a little taller. would like to fill a bit more of the well without looking puffy.

any suggestions?

Looking on tirerack website I see 21 tires in that size available. Mich LTX seems to be making people happy. (~$1100 OTD)

You can also go to a smaller wheel that has the same width and tread. say 18" with 245/60/18 tire. (Figure ~$1500 OTD)

Here is also another site you can plug in your numbers and see how it would look, and size diff between two...

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Last edited:
I'm in the market for new tires this year.
I've gone through three sets of Nitto NT850 CUV+ which are unfortunately phased out. Bummer. I have loved them.
I have three contenders for consideration for my 245/50/20 oem wheels:
Nitto NT421Q, Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2, and Yokohama Geolandar G055.
The Hankooks appear to be the best option for hydroplaning resistance and warm weather performance.
The other 2 appear to be a better option to throw a little snow & ice into the mix. I say "appear" just looking at the tread design.

9112224366622.jpg

hk_ventuss1_noble2_pdpcrop.jpg

yo_geog055_pdpcrop.jpg

The Noble S2 I think is stock on newer Ford Explorers. My '14 Explorer has Hankook Optimo H426, which I believe is the predecessor to the Noble S2(although significantly different tread).

Some people hate the Optimo, but I've not had any major complaints with them. 50K miles and they probably have another 15k in them. Snow performance does suffer compared to other tires and I think the Noble S2's also suffer from that as well. While I can't really complain about the Optimos, I probably won't replace them with another Hankook tire. I need something a little better in the snow(short of getting winter tires). People like the Noble S2 more than the Optimo, so maybe they are better.

I agree that based on the tread designs of the 3 tires, for snow/ice, I would think the Nitto's would be first, Yokohama 2nd and Hankook's 3rd.

The stock tires are so boxy and square looking. I agree they are a bit noisy and when I'm in the market these are not going on the truck.

I also want them to be a bit taller too, more rubber for less noise and not so hard.

I think they are 245-50-20, maybe a 255-55-20.

Unfortunately, Michelin has never started manufacturing the LTX tire in the 245/50r20 size and they have no date when they might begin. I just checked with Michelin again last week. Many of the online tire dealers show it in stock but if you call they will confirm they don't have them.

Unfortunately, Michelin has never started manufacturing the LTX tire in the 245/50r20 size and they have no date when they might begin. I just checked with Michelin again last week. Many of the online tire dealers show it in stock but if you call they will confirm they don't have them.

I bought a set of Michelin Premier LTX (245/50VR20) for my 2012 CX-9 GT in January 2016. My local Discount Tire, where I bought mine, show they have them in stock in that size.

I'm also in the market and would have gladly put on another set of nitto 850 if still available.

I'm leaning towards the NT421Q but another report said they were shot after 20k or so miles.

Nexen RU5 seem well rated and long lasting, but get noisy towards end of life. I may give them a shot.

Replaced my OEM Duelers at 66,000 miles with Michelin Premier LTX ($800). 7,000 miles so far and wet/winter performance is great; dry/highway conditions are smooth and quiet. 2nd choice was Firestone Destination LE2. Drove LE2's on two other vehicles: smooth, quiet ride and great winter performance. Ranked well at TireRack.com

I've had 2 sets of Nitto NT850 CUV+ on my 08 CX-9 Touring (18" wheels) and I'm bummed they discontinued the tire.

I just installed a set of Nexen N'Fera RU5 tires based on some other reviews. So far I like them, about 1,000 miles driven so far.

- The Nexens are quieter than the Nittos, we'll see how this holds up as they wear.
- Wet grip is very similar, can't tell a difference.
- The cornering is a bit less precise with the Nexens, they feel softer and a bit more vague.
- Can't tell any difference braking.

I'm happy with them so far. I paid $513 (final price) delivered to a tire installer, and another $60 for mount/balance. I used tirebuyer.com.

They look good on the car. Slightly taller profile which is good for the awful urban streets where I live (Oakland CA).

8959764987934.jpg

i just picked up a set of michelin premier LTX today. so far i'm SUPER pleased. much more quiet and noticeably softer ride than the stock duelers.
and the slightly taller profile beefs up the look, without being at all clunky

$1200 and change for the usual all-inclusive package at discount tire

Last edited:
Whoah. 1200 bones!

LOL, My thoughts exactly!

They are around $220/tire at TireRack before discounts. My local Discount Tire normally matches TR prices or gets very close.

I hope the OP gets the $70 mail-in rebate from Michelin that's being offered right now.

Last edited:
I see some folks are adding a higher profile tire to their stock 20" Cx-9 wheels. I'd like to do the same. Looking for more cushion on less than stellar roads. Are there any risks in clearances or internal electronics moving from stock 245/50R20 to 245/55R20 or even 24560R20? I have a 2013 CX-9 AWD GT

I see some folks are adding a higher profile tire to their stock 20" Cx-9 wheels. I'd like to do the same. Looking for more cushion on less than stellar roads. Are there any risks in clearances or internal electronics moving from stock 245/50R20 to 245/55R20 or even 24560R20? I have a 2013 CX-9 AWD GT

50 to 55 is negligible. The speedo should be fine and since your going high instead of wide there won't be clearance issues. Even then there is still wide room if needed. Do it.

I have been reading really good reviews for the General Altimax RT43. Tirerack waxes poetic in their review. Anyone have additional comments? 120 each at Tirerack right now.

while i understand the trendiness of the lower profile tires these days. i find the stock duelers to be noisy and uncomfortable.
not to mention i think on a CX9, it looks like a hippo on ballet shoes.

i'm looking for something:
- less noisy
- more comfortable (softer ride)
- a little taller. would like to fill a bit more of the well without looking puffy.

any suggestions?

As u well say the bridgestones aren't as good as its image is.
in the road the 422 that came with my cx9 aren't as bad as I expected so immaking some miles on them , its true they are noisy but their performance isn't that bad at all. but big but... cx9 handles as good as its tires perform, suspension performance and chasis bending are exceptional for the type of car so the limit is on its tires.
said this I am considering these tires:
goodyear F1
pirelli scorpion zero
continental extreme contact dsw6
these are tires designed for performance almost in any weather, I'm sure I wont regret spending the extra bucks
regards
M

Back