TPMS and Winter Tires

MZ5black

:
2014 Mazda5 Sport Auto
Questions for those who have winter tires on a separate set of wheels... do you have TPMS sensors or just rubber valve stems? Is OEM the only choice for sensors? Best choice? What about programming them? Is the system going to do it by itself with sort of an automatic relearn or is a special tool required? If you're using valve stems, is TR414 the ideal size/standard for OEM steelies from Mazda3 or Mazda6?

Thanks in advance!

Model year makes a difference.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

Sorry, using Tapatalk. Nonconforming lol. IIRC, 2104 used the wheel speed sensors for the tpms.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

IIRC, 2104 used the wheel speed sensors for the tpms.

OK, thanks. Does that mean that re-learn is automatic as long as sensors conform? If I go with TPMS sensors, I'll probably get used OEM, part number BHA4-37140, which should work on various 2012+ model year Mazdas incl. Mz3 and Mz5.

IIRC, Mazda moved away from the in-rim TPMS sensor to wheel speed sensor in 2014 BC that’s when the new Mazda 3 rolled out, which changed/updated a lot of sub-systems. This does not automatically apply to all 2014 models. The Mazda 5 is still based on old architecture so I’m pretty sure it still uses the in-rim sensor. For any ‘14+ owners, is your valve stem cap gray (TPMS) or black (standard)?

The relearn for Mazda is simply driving it. You can use aftermarket TPMS. The “universal” aftermarket TPMS sensor has to be programmed (or preprogrammed) to recognize Mazda’s system.
https://www.redi-sensor.com/dont-confuse-tpms-relearn-sensor-programming/

IIRC, Mazda moved away from the in-rim TPMS sensor to wheel speed sensor in 2014 BC that’s when the new Mazda 3 rolled out, which changed/updated a lot of sub-systems. This does not automatically apply to all 2014 models. The Mazda 5 is still based on old architecture so I’m pretty sure it still uses the in-rim sensor. For any ‘14+ owners, is your valve stem cap gray (TPMS) or black (standard)?

The relearn for Mazda is simply driving it. You can use aftermarket TPMS. The “universal” aftermarket TPMS sensor has to be programmed (or preprogrammed) to recognize Mazda’s system.
https://www.redi-sensor.com/dont-confuse-tpms-relearn-sensor-programming/

OK, good to know - thanks. Oh and the caps are grey on my 2014 BTW.

Back