Anyone re-fill battery water?

kjh1127

:
2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD
My battery has been very weak if it sits overnight in the cold after a few short trips (<2 miles), and in the morning the car wouldn't start.

Come to find out, the water in the battery was practically bone dry. I filled up the six cavities with new distilled water, and so far, so good, but haven't taken many small trips with it yet.

My car is only 3 years old. Anyone have to do similar maintenance? My Mazda3 I owned before this for 8 years, with a similar type battery, I NEVER had to refill the water. Is this normal for these CX-5 to need to re-filled periodically?

What he said^^^! These batteries should properly be called "low maintenance" rather than "no maintenance" as they do occasionally require topping up.

My battery has been very weak if it sits overnight in the cold after a few short trips (<2 miles), and in the morning the car wouldn't start.

Come to find out, the water in the battery was practically bone dry. I filled up the six cavities with new distilled water, and so far, so good, but haven't taken many small trips with it yet.

My car is only 3 years old. Anyone have to do similar maintenance? My Mazda3 I owned before this for 8 years, with a similar type battery, I NEVER had to refill the water. Is this normal for these CX-5 to need to re-filled periodically?

3 years is about time to replace.

What he said^^^! These batteries should properly be called "low maintenance" rather than "no maintenance" as they do occasionally require topping up.
I agree! But why Mazda calls it "Maintenance Free" battery though? And practically bone dry in 3 years? There's no mention to check the electrolyte levels in maintenance schedule either! I did have many "Maintenance Free" batteries which had never needed the topping off for their entire life cycle.

If you sit parked and running it affects the battery. If you are located in a hot climate it affects the battery. Just make it part of monthly maintenance. FYI, the section closest to the front usually had more evaporation than the others.

Mine, lasted 3 years and 2 months and the water level it was good.
Get an Interstate from Costco, it's $78.

Mine, lasted 3 years and 2 months and the water level it was good.
Get an Interstate from Costco, it's $78.

$78? Wow. Are they still selling group 35 for that price. If so then It may justify getting a Costco membership.

$78? Wow. Are they still selling group 35 for that price. If so then It may justify getting a Costco membership.

Yes, just had to get one for the MS3... Hard to beat that price, (FYI, that price is before tax and with exchange of old core....)

+1000 on the Interstate. I have purchased every brand you can name including Optima (POS). Interstates are good. I pour water from a 1-gal. jug to a small disposable cup, then to the battery.

On the OEM battery at 4-years old I topped off the battery with distilled water. It shortly died. Not usre if it was dying anyway or if its was me. Here's my possible mistake :(

I noticed just a little bit of corrosion on the terminals. I decided to clean them (while connected to battery). So after the terminals were cleaned I decided to add water to battery. Some water came into contact with the corrosion on the battery (I did a poor job wiping away all corrosion that dripped on top of battery). Oh and the stupid plastic caps- they hard dirt/grime under them. So when removing the caps to get to the holes, said dirt/grime fell in because I wasn't carefull. I think that's how I killed it unless the battery was on its way out. Not too mad as the original battery lasted 4 years.

In the future I'll probably remove the entire battery. Wipe it down real good using only distilled water. Use a turkey baster to transfer distilled water into battery. Consider getting a battery cover.

I check mine twice a year... I've had to add a little water. I do this on all of my vehicles though.

On my SP23 with a Panasonic battery I got 4 years out of the first battery and 6 years out of the 2nd battery.[figures rounded off]. Note that I drive 24/7 with the aircon on and I never turn it off.[yes I like aircon and I live in a hot/humid climate]

I just changed it 2 weeks ago.

I never checked the water ...that's why I have it serviced at the dealer.

On my SP23 with a Panasonic battery I got 4 years out of the first battery and 6 years out of the 2nd battery.[figures rounded off]. Note that I drive 24/7 with the aircon on and I never turn it off.[yes I like aircon and I live in a hot/humid climate]

I just changed it 2 weeks ago.

I never checked the water ...that's why I have it serviced at the dealer.

You're a trusting fellow!

Next service, have a look ta the battery levels before you drop it to the dealer. Then check again after the service is done. See if any difference!

Wow. I literally did not even know you COULD add water to a modern car battery. I sure never have. Usually, I end up replacing the battery once on a used car, and never on a new car. Just my experience thus far with it.

Next service, have a look ta the battery levels before you drop it to the dealer. Then check again after the service is done. See if any difference!

LOL! Yes, I have NEVER heard of a dealer looking at battery water... (Post mid-80's anyway). The dealer would much rather install a brand new one in the same amount of time it would take to check and fill the old one. That way they make their money on the new battery you bought... Not much markup to be had on distilled water...

However if you do happen to take the time to maintain the battery level properly, and you keep the plates from ever getting dry, you will extend the lifespan of a wet acid battery.

Last edited:

I don't think you can top up a Panasonic battery unless someone here has done it.

I heard if you have a dead battery you can bring it back to life if instead of distilled water you use gypsy tears.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back