Mazda reports best January sales since 2012

Are you sure "every single car on the market that wasn't redesigned for 2017 got its ratings "downgraded" twice"? I can simply name 2016、2017 FWD CX-9's which don't get affected and there're more!

Like I said, some cars didn't cross a whole MPG threshold when they were downgraded.
One car might have gone from 29.4 to 28.5 (0.9MPG drop) without the rounded rating changing while another from 29.5 to 28.4 (1.1MPG drop) with the rating dropping by 2MPG.

I was merely reflecting many new 2nd-gen CX-9 owner's opinions on gas mileage. YMMV.

Every car equipped with an MPG gauge has many owners dissatisfied with gas mileage.

Among the most dissatisfied will be people who had a car with a speedometer that under-reported speed that now have a car that shows the actual speed (Mazda).

Annual Sales201420152016% +/-
Honda CR-V335,019345,647357,335+3.2%/+3.4%
Toyota RAV4267,698315,412352,154+17.8%/+11.6%
Nissan Rogue199,199287,190329,904+44.2%/+14.9%
Subaru Forester159,953175,192178,593+9.5%/+1.9%
Mazda CX-599,122111,450112,235+12.4%/+0.7%

I wonder why Mazda sales are so much lower. I have driven older RAVs, don't like Toyotas, Tested the CR-V and it was noisier and the steering was less precise, plus there were no AWD models available. I love Nissans, but the Rogue was soo bland and I wasn't willing to be a guinea pig for their transmission failures. Might have taken a Subaru Crosstrek, but I couldn't find a used one.

I wonder why Mazda sales are so much lower. I have driven older RAVs, don't like Toyotas, Tested the CR-V and it was noisier and the steering was less precise, plus there were no AWD models available. I love Nissans, but the Rogue was soo bland and I wasn't willing to be a guinea pig for their transmission failures. Might have taken a Subaru Crosstrek, but I couldn't find a used one.

Mazda has no CX-5 factory in North America, so the number of sales are limited by the number of cars Mazda chooses to bring over here. It's not like there is tons of CX-5's sitting around unsold with 4,000 on the hood.

IMO, Mazda also made some crappy decisions with what features to bring to north america.
CX-5's in Europe and other markets get many comfort features that are not available here, and that likely hurts demand.

If it makes you feel any better, the CX-5 is the #1 selling SUV in Australia :)
https://www.mazda.com.au/about-mazda/news/latest-news/record-sales-start-for-mazda/

Relative to size Honda and Toyota are each about 10X the size of Mazda in terms of net income. Yet their SUVs only outsell the CX-5 like 4-1 each. Kudos to the small company for at least denting the market. Imagine a world where Mazda do not exist.

Mazda has no CX-5 factory in North America, so the number of sales are limited by the number of cars Mazda chooses to bring over here. It's not like there is tons of CX-5's sitting around unsold with 4,000 on the hood.
This excuse of not selling more Mazda's in the US is lame. If this's the case, we won't see any Mazda's left in the dealer's lots, and we won't get any discounts when we're buying a Mazda! But we all know these are not the case and I guess you didn't read my earlier post:

Mazda dealers look to recover from a rough 2016
Mazda Motor Corp.'s U.S. dealers had a tough 2016 as sales slumped, eroding dealer profitability and leading to high days supply of inventory.

Mazda Motor Corp. CEO Masamichi Kogai also said he needs to do something of their very low retention rate which is hurting their sales in the US! Mazda's retention rate currently is at 37% whereas the industry average is at 49%! All companies are trying to make more sales if possible, not the opposite!

Mazda looks to next-gen CX-5 for a lift
Mazda's U.S. retention rate is a lackluster 37 percent. While that is up from around 26 percent in 2011, Kogai concedes "it's not that great." He wants it to top 60 percent in five years. "In Japan, the retention rate is more than 50 percent," he said. "We want the U.S. rate to catch up."

Last edited:

IMO, Mazda also made some crappy decisions with what features to bring to north america.
CX-5's in Europe and other markets get many comfort features that are not available here, and that likely hurts demand.

If it makes you feel any better, the CX-5 is the #1 selling SUV in Australia :)
https://www.mazda.com.au/about-mazda/news/latest-news/record-sales-start-for-mazda/

It's weird like that. And it seems to put the CX-5 at a disadvantage here. Overseas Mirage gets power mirrors, but also is offered with no spoiler (spoiler is standard here). They get a start/stop system that isn't available in the US. 1.0L engine options is not available in the US. Banana Yellow was not offered in the US, also a few special edition were offered elsewhere as well and w eonly got 1 (Rockford Fosgate edition). Also Mirage g4 has been around since 2013 and is new for 2017 here.

This excause of not selling more Mazda's in the US is lame. If this's the case, we won't see any Mazda's left in the dealer's lots, and we won't get any discounts when we're buying a Mazda! But we all know these are not the case and I guess you didn't read my earlier post:

Mazda dealers look to recover from a rough 2016

Your guess is correct. I just read the article now.
Funny how two people can read the same article and get two different conclusions.

The interview is with a dealership owner, not a brand representative.
He's (rightfully) looking after his own bottom line, so it's fitting that he would politely complain about low sales and low incentives from Mazda.

What I read from that article, is that Mazda is trying to move the brand upmarket and is not actively trying to increase sales by discounting.
Sounds like this is creating problems, because Mazda wants dealers to invest in some new facilities and customer satisfaction training, but dealers are not making very much money, so they are having a hard time justifying the investments.

Mazda Motor Corp. CEO Masamichi Kogai also said he needs to do something of their very low retention rate which is hurting their sales in the US! Mazda's retention rate currently is at 37% whereas the industry average is at 49%! All companies are trying to make more sales if possible, not the opposite!

Mazda looks to next-gen CX-5 for a lift

The Mazda retention rate is quickly on the rise. Looks like it went up from just 26% in 2011. I think the 60% they are going for will easily be reached.

Would you happen to know how retention rate is calculated?
Is it the proportion of Mazda owners that go back and buy another? (I don't know how they could calculate it this way)
Or is it the proportion of Mazda buyers in a given year that also own another Mazda? (Easy to calculate because those customers get a $500 incentive)

Very few customers who have a Skyactiv car have had a need to replace it yet.

Back